President Trump Said 'You Need an ID to Buy Groceries'

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
That ranks right up there with Romney not knowing what a dougnut looks like. Another case of a very rich aristocrat taking a botched stab at what the peasants go through in their measly lives.

Exactly who it was, escapes me right now, but I know that there was some Republican that didn't even know what a UPC barcode was.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
I have serious doubts he has bought groceries in a very, very long time. Not uncommon for his thoughts to get jumbled in his head and come out confusing, or just wrong.

That being said, buying certain over the counter medication requires a ID in grocery stores. Buying alcohol requires an ID in grocery stores. And dozens of other very common things that people do, require an ID.

I do find it funny that there are people here who always want to compare our gun violence to other countries. When some of these same countries require an ID to vote. Picking and choosing laws and rules they want to follow or be compared to in order to fit their agenda. Obama claimed that the U.S. was the only advanced democracy that makes voting harder, claiming that we put barriers in front of people who want to vote. When that is not true. But with the push of some libs wanting all illegals to be allowed to vote, this is not a surprise. Just more hypocrisy from the left.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I have serious doubts he has bought groceries in a very, very long time. Not uncommon for his thoughts to get jumbled in his head and come out confusing, or just wrong.

That being said, buying certain over the counter medication requires a ID in grocery stores. Buying alcohol requires an ID in grocery stores. And dozens of other very common things that people do, require an ID.

I do find it funny that there are people here who always want to compare our gun violence to other countries. When some of these same countries require an ID to vote. Picking and choosing laws and rules they want to follow or be compared to in order to fit their agenda. Obama claimed that the U.S. was the only advanced democracy that makes voting harder, claiming that we put barriers in front of people who want to vote. When that is not true. But with the push of some libs wanting all illegals to be allowed to vote, this is not a surprise. Just more hypocrisy from the left.

Nuclear armed president often easily confused or simply wrong.

Liberals are bad for not liking, often nakedly racist/classist, restrictions on voting designed for partisan advantage that are proven to reduce the exercise of that right because they want illegals to vote.

Uh huh.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
So he's basically clueless as to how normal people live in this country, that's not a surprise. He was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, and given every chance to succeed by his rich and racist/bigot father, why would he know about heading down to the grocery store for milk and ground beef?

What gets me is that "normal" people think he commiserates with them, he doesn't have a clue what a normal person's daily life is like. He has never had to work at a manual labor job to barely feed a family. Probably never worried about losing a job and making a house payment or the cost of health insurance in his life. Yet the yokels that make $13 an hour would fight you in their local bar to defend his right to continue financially giving it to them in the pooper. I'd wager if he could get his $100 billion capital gains tax relief through, and cut social security and medicare to pay for it, they'd cheer and call anyone that doesn't like it a snowflake.

The stupid is strong in his supporters.

Feb 4, 2009
Exactly who it was, escapes me right now, but I know that there was some Republican that didn't even know what a UPC barcode was.

There has been several that haven't known basic life stuff like:
How to use a self checkout at a store (I think this was the UPC Bar-code Guy). Not sure whom but I do remember a guy having trouble with the seemingly alien technology.
How much milk cost, how much dinner cost, how much a hamburger costs
How to fill a gas tank/use a gas pump
How/where to put coins or the card for the subway

Opinion piece: Usually 2/3rds the time its a republican simply because they have more money from a young age and don't have to be bothered with such trivial stuff.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005

Do you understand how crazy this argument is? You are basically saying that comparing any two things is impossible unless you compare everything, and then following it up with a strawman. No one is pushing for any illegals to vote (in national elections), much less all of them. Are you completely incapable of any nuance in your thinking?

Reactions: jackstar7

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Technically, those things require you to be over 18 (or 21, in the case of alcohol). There's no ID requirement if the person is over 18/21, it's just to confirm that they are of age. If the person looks to be 40, no rational checkout person is going to card them, unless mandated by some arcane CYA policy from the store.

An ID requirement is like, what you have for getting car insurance, or buying a firearm. You have to show an ID so that you can show proof of your name/address, or crap that has to be photocopied/documented for legal reasons.

EDIT: Oh, and I'll add, this was said by Trump specifically referencing increasing voter ID requirements, aka actually showing an ID for a purpose that required an ID, not just to confirm age or whatever. There's a very, very clear distinction between getting carded for booze/death sticks/meth ingredients vs voter ID requirements. He was drawing a false equivalency (and an incorrect one at that... more like a 'not even wrong equivalency').

Reactions: darkswordsman17

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

That's the Gish gallop duh-version, right?

How in the world millions of people can trust a person so disconnected from everyday reality is beyond my comprehension.

But they do-

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a22600827/donald-trump-supporters-believe-the-media/

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Another possibility is that there's a perception that his followers are easily driven sheep that need constant direction.

Or maybe Donny is the Antichrist..

"And the second beast required all people small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their forehead, 17so that no one could buy or sell (groceries) unless he had the mark — the name of the beast or the number of its name. 18Here is a call for wisdom: Let the one who has insight calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man, and that number is 666"

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Saw a clip about this last night. Weird thing to say.
Either:
He’s never been to a grocery store
Or
A guy said it to Trump who frequently buys large quantities of Sudafed because he attends Trump rallies and he’s from FL
Or
He’s trying to say using food stamps requires an ID. Which if that’s the point I’m all for automatically enrolling food stamp recipients to vote and allowing the issued ID be used for voting.

He's obviously never been in a grocery store even when he was a kid. The only other thing I could think of is that he heard 2nd, 3rd, 4th hand (maid, nanny, average person, etc.) that in the old days most people used checks to pay for groceries and they had to show ID. What a CF.

EDIT: Somebody beat me to it.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
Thanks Obama, not sure if this is a real tweet

hbER8Uc.jpg

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
That ranks right up there with Romney not knowing what a dougnut looks like. Another case of a very rich aristocrat taking a botched stab at what the peasants go through in their measly lives.

LOL, you made me look that up. That was obviously a brain fart. He was in a donut shop. Do you really think he didn't know what a donut was? And you know he was not an aristocrat, right? I know you're not that stupid.

If you had a choice between Trump and Romney who would you chose for POTUS?

Feb 16, 2005
trump has said and done so many more ignorant things that this, just pile it on with the rest of the idiocy.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
LOL, you made me look that up. That was obviously a brain fart. He was in a donut shop. Do you really think he didn't know what a donut was? And you know he was not an aristocrat, right? I know you're not that stupid.

If you had a choice between Trump and Romney who would you chose for POTUS?

I stand corrected. Semantics being what they are, I'll amend and say that he didn't know what to call it. ;)

As for the term aristocrat, it's my way of condescendingly discerning what economic demographic he hails from. :)

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
I stand corrected. Semantics being what they are, I'll amend and say that he didn't know what to call it. ;)

As for the term aristocrat, it's my way of condescendingly discerning what economic demographic he hails from. :)

:beercheers:

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
There's a similar joke in 30 Rock where Jack guesses at the price of milk being like $30 or something

"As we speak, our fellow countryman are rolling out our Kabletown Couches on the assembly line, earning an honest day's pay so they can go to the store and buy milk for their family, which costs...oh, I don't know, $90 a gallon."

Reactions: Homerboy

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
There has been several that haven't known basic life stuff like:
How to use a self checkout at a store (I think this was the UPC Bar-code Guy). Not sure whom but I do remember a guy having trouble with the seemingly alien technology.
How much milk cost, how much dinner cost, how much a hamburger costs
How to fill a gas tank/use a gas pump
How/where to put coins or the card for the subway

Opinion piece: Usually 2/3rds the time its a republican simply because they have more money from a young age and don't have to be bothered with such trivial stuff.

I believe the UPC Bar-code Guy you're thinking about was Bush senior.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/bush-scanner-demonstration/

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
"As we speak, our fellow countryman are rolling out our Kabletown Couches on the assembly line, earning an honest day's pay so they can go to the store and buy milk for their family, which costs...oh, I don't know, $90 a gallon."

That's the one I was trying to remember. Oh man, my wife would kill me for not knowing it :(

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Just think..
If this trend continues, Donnie will insist on a "pussy check" on every woman purchasing tampons.