President & President Elect meetup

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
So are there any senior Republicans that can put their big boy pants on, go to the WH, and perform an intervention for the sake of our democracy?
You should probably flip back through your notes between 2010 and 2016. You may be reminded of how well Republicans "work together".

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
He may fire masses of people in the federal government he considers insufficiently loyal. Trump issued an executive order in October that could reclassify thousands of civil service positions as “policy-making” positions subject to termination at-will. He set an effective date of January 19, but he can move that up at any time with another executive order. I’m sure it will be litigated if he attempts it but there’s no guarantee the courts would rule against it and these employees would be in limbo in the meantime. We shall see if he goes through with it

He will most likely expropriate as much taxpayer money as he possibly can to himself, his family and his companies. I expect he will relocate himself and the White House staff to Mar a Lago at exorbitant rates. All he has to do is tell the White House staff to go to Mar a Lago. The government already has contracts in place with Trump’s resorts for housing federal employees at inflated rates. Would he have access to all the White House infrastructure? No. Would he care? No.

I still say he may resign so Pence can Pardon him or pardon himself (if he can get away with it) and his family members of any and all federal crimes. This will have the effect of letting him vent his spleen as well as leaving the government crippled for Biden. And he will continue to do nothing about covid. Otherwise, I don’t think the rest of his squatting days will be nearly as cinematic as the last month has been.

It's also possible he’ll lick his wounds, engage in whatever spiteful tactics he can think of and on Jan 20th he will handcuff himself to the heaviest object he can find, swallow the key and tell the secret service agents, “You can’t move me, it’s against the constitution, I’ll sue you, you’re fired, where are the ballots? It’s all on Hunter’s laptop etc”

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
So are there any senior Republicans that can put their big boy pants on, go to the WH, and perform an intervention for the sake of our democracy?

The issue isn't the lack of intervention volunteers; it's that Trump won't listen to any of them.

It's been amusing to see pundits and even Republicans hope that Trump would gracefully step aside for the sake of the GOP and the democratic process. Much in the same way as they've hoped he would apologize for horrible statements or make concessions on policies.

But that's not how Trump works. He will always do what he wants unless he's blocked from doing it; he will happily drag down the GOP or even self-sabotage rather than admit he might be wrong. He's going to exhaust every legal avenue, and it's not guaranteed he'll concede after that. The image of Trump being dragged out of the White House is disturbingly plausible in part because he doesn't understand the word "no."

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
COVID is about to suddenly be not that bad.
I really can't tell if you are so fucking angry your idol got his ass handed to him, or if your are so fucking stupid that you still think it is a hoax... or both.