President Obama Left Quite a Mark at the Funeral Service for Elijah Cummings

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Even in retirement Obama is a class act!! Always has been!!

WASHINGTON—There are quite a few people in this city who are adept at throwing shade. But there is no shade like Obama shade. Obama shade is deeper and cooler than the shade thrown by ordinary mortals. Under Obama shade, you could play hockey in the Mojave. On Friday, people said their final farewells to Rep. Elijah Cummings up in Baltimore. It was a lyrical, joyful service at which a number of people spoke. One of them was Hillary Rodham Clinton, who said, in part:

Like that Old Testament prophet, he stood against corrupt leadership of King Ahab and Queen Jezebel.

Mmmmmm, Bible shade. Let me get out of this hot sun for a moment. But the ombre de resistance came from the most recent former president, who gave everyone in church and on television some coverage.

It has been remarked that Elijah was a kind man. I tell my daughters—and I have to say, listening to Elijah’s daughters speak, that got me choked up. I am sure those of you who have sons feel the same way—but there is something about daughters and their fathers. And I was thinking I would want my daughters to know how much I love them, but I would also want them to know that being a strong man includes being kind. That there is nothing weak about kindness and compassion. There is nothing weak about looking out for others. There is nothing weak about being honorable. You are not a sucker to have integrity and to treat others with respect.

I was sitting here and I was just noticing the “honorable” Elijah E. Cummings. You know, this is a title that we confer on all kinds of people who get elected to public office. We are supposed to introduce them as “honorable.” But Elijah Cummings was honorable before he was elected to office. There’s a difference. There is a difference if you were honorable and treated others honorably. Outside the limelight. On the side of a road. In a quiet moment, counseling somebody you work with. Letting your daughters know you love them.
Yeah, that'll leave a mark.

U.S. President Obama Left Quite a Mark at the Funeral Service for Elijah Cummings

Photo credit: Lloyd Fox - Getty Images

From Esquire
(Permanent Musical Accompaniment To The Last Post Of The Week From The Blog's Favourite Living Canadian)
WASHINGTON—There are quite a few people in this city who are adept at throwing shade. But there is no shade like Obama shade. Obama shade is deeper and cooler than the shade thrown by ordinary mortals. Under Obama shade, you could play hockey in the Mojave. On Friday, people said their final farewells to Rep. Elijah Cummings up in Baltimore. It was a lyrical, joyful service at which a number of people spoke. One of them was Hillary Rodham Clinton, who said, in part:
Like that Old Testament prophet, he stood against corrupt leadership of King Ahab and Queen Jezebel.
Mmmmmm, Bible shade. Let me get out of this hot sun for a moment. But the ombre de resistance came from the most recent former president, who gave everyone in church and on television some coverage.
It has been remarked that Elijah was a kind man. I tell my daughters—and I have to say, listening to Elijah’s daughters speak, that got me choked up. I am sure those of you who have sons feel the same way—but there is something about daughters and their fathers. And I was thinking I would want my daughters to know how much I love them, but I would also want them to know that being a strong man includes being kind. That there is nothing weak about kindness and compassion. There is nothing weak about looking out for others. There is nothing weak about being honorable. You are not a sucker to have integrity and to treat others with respect.
I was sitting here and I was just noticing the “honorable” Elijah E. Cummings. You know, this is a title that we confer on all kinds of people who get elected to public office. We are supposed to introduce them as “honorable.” But Elijah Cummings was honorable before he was elected to office. There’s a difference. There is a difference if you were honorable and treated others honorably. Outside the limelight. On the side of a road. In a quiet moment, counseling somebody you work with. Letting your daughters know you love them.
Yeah, that'll leave a mark.
Late on Friday, the Democratic House got a big boost in court. A federal judge ordered the Department of Justice to release the redacted evidence gathered by the grand jury associated with Robert Mueller's investigation to the House Judiciary Committee. From CNBC:

Judge Beryl Howell, in her ruling, repeatedly noted that the House is conducting an impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump, which could be assisted with the material assembled by Mueller’s probe. “The need for continued secrecy is minimal and thus easily outweighed by [the Judiciary Committee’s] HJC’s compelling need for the material,” Howell wrote in the decision issued in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C., where she is chief judge.

“Tipping the scale even further toward disclosure is the public’s interest in a diligent and thorough investigation into, and in a final determination about, potentially impeachable conduct by the President described in the Mueller Report.”
And, just in passing, Judge Powell removed the innards from Lindsey Graham's feckless resolution about the propriety of the House's current impeachment inquiry.

Howell brushed aside arguments made by Trump’s supporters in and outside of Congress that the House’s impeachment inquiry is illegitimate because the House has not held a formal vote to authorize such a probe. “Even in cases of presidential impeachment, a House resolution has never, in fact, been required to begin an impeachment inquiry,” the judge wrote.
They really have nothing anymore.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
And I was thinking I would want my daughters to know how much I love them, but I would also want them to know that being a strong man includes being kind. That there is nothing weak about kindness and compassion. There is nothing weak about looking out for others. There is nothing weak about being honorable. You are not a sucker to have integrity and to treat others with respect.

Yeah, it was a good eulogy. The statement above, it's pretty obvious who he's contrasting Cummings with.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I also just heard on CNN that Bill Clinton said -- You cannot have a true Democracy if you have to hate everybody who disagrees with you...….
They are unloading on Trump!!

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Didja catch this in the comments down below?

"Trump's aide says to him, "Sir, I had a dream you got your parade. It was miles and miles long winding through Washington DC. Joyful Americans lined the route, literally in the millions. People were laughing, cheering, playing in the street. You were riding in the most beautiful carriage."
Trump asks, "Was I happy?"
The aide answers, "I don't know, sir. The casket was closed."

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Didja catch this in the comments down below?

"Trump's aide says to him, "Sir, I had a dream you got your parade. It was miles and miles long winding through Washington DC. Joyful Americans lined the route, literally in the millions. People were laughing, cheering, playing in the street. You were riding in the most beautiful carriage."
Trump asks, "Was I happy?"
The aide answers, "I don't know, sir. The casket was closed."

i was expecting the ending to be him being hauled off to jail :p

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I also just heard on CNN that Bill Clinton said -- You cannot have a true Democracy if you have to hate everybody who disagrees with you...….
They are unloading on Trump!!
I thought just about every speaker had many not so subtle digs at Trump. Made me feel wonderful.:)

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Damn I miss that guy in the White House

Trump systematically erasing Obama's accomplishments in order to look taller and smarter than his predecessor is just another failure in his long list of other failures. Being petty, vindictive, arrogant and of a much lower intellect than Obama simply exposed Trump for the jackass trust funded entitled schoolyard bully he is.

Still can't see why the Repubs hated Obama so much while adoring and revering Trump.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Trump systematically erasing Obama's accomplishments in order to look taller and smarter than his predecessor is just another failure in his long list of other failures. Being petty, vindictive, arrogant and of a much lower intellect than Obama simply exposed Trump for the jackass trust funded entitled schoolyard bully he is.

Still can't see why the Repubs hated Obama so much while adoring and revering Trump.
I'll give you one guess

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I'll give you one guess

Tan suits? Jus' kidding. Yes, certainly got something, no, a LOT to do with those very fine folks who like accessorizing their wardrobe with jackboots, swastikas and the latest in tiki torches.