President Obama claims Mandate on Taxes

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
a dollar used to fund someone's education, to stop illness, to build a bridge, to pay to defend our country, isn't a dollar taken out of the economy.

At what point are you going to stop taking the $1 from someone.

If the government $1 taken stays inside the economy of the US and is used for US consumption; that can be acceptable.
At present that is not happening.

When that $1 no longer goes to something productive but to somewhere else for their own use; such needs to stop.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Over 10 years is $100 Billion a year when we are corrently over $1 Trillion in deficit spending. How long are we going to battle over 10% of the problem?

Its not $100b a year, it has a progressive effect.

I don't know why you are arguing about it, 10% is a significant chunk, that is more than Obama's stimulus for example, I bey you oppose that ?

Bush's recession is the biggest contributor, his tax cuts are at least partly responsible for that too. You see, when people have more money than they know what to do with they come up with stupid ideas, like bundling bad home loans and selling them to people who got big tax breaks from Bush. That increased demand for bad loans and helped accelerate the housing bubble which led to collapse.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
I would like to know how 2.5% margin of victory can be considered a mandate thought

poor choice of verbiage IMO

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
At least I don't talk about my sexual proclivities. You just can't shut up about how you guzzle conservative commentator cum.

No one is talking about guzzling cum except you, chug-a-lug ponyboi.

The same thing was said about Clinton's tax hikes.

What really happened is a few years later the budget was balanced. Those small tax hikes were part of the reason.

Getting rid of the Bush tax cuts is a big step in deficit reduction. The projected effect of going from 35% to 39% tax rate on income over $250k is about $850 billion over ten years. And many many trillions more going forward.

And the projected amount over 10 years is possibly much lower than what will actually happen, if the economy performs as it always does.

It isn't enough by itself. But is that an argument for not doing it ? Makes no sense.

So what else is he proposing to help those tax increases make a difference? What is he actually going to cut, not just reduce spending increases ...nothing. If the tax increases aren't part of a broader plan that is actually going to be useful then they are useless, and it's nothing more than "look at those dirty rich people, let's take their money, they don't need it" bullshit, and all the pretending that taxing the rich 4% is going to ease any of the financial pain is a lie.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Over 10 years is $100 Billion a year when we are corrently over $1 Trillion in deficit spending. How long are we going to battle over 10% of the problem?

As long as they can use it to sell their class warfare.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
At what point are you going to stop taking the $1 from someone.

If the government $1 taken stays inside the economy of the US and is used for US consumption; that can be acceptable.
At present that is not happening.

When that $1 no longer goes to something productive but to somewhere else for their own use; such needs to stop.

Who do you mean ? People who get food stamps ? Who do you think is getting this $ ?

btw, nobody has a dollar taken away, that's kind of a false description. Taxes are a part of each dollar, nonbody pays 100% tax rate.

Also, if you can look at this abstractly, nobody could be rich except for the fact they are part of a society that consumes whatever they're selling to get rich. So they have a responsibilty to see that the society thrives, and its in their own interest.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Me myself . I want to see the rich get taxed at what ever level the dems choose . Than in 4 years we can say after were indebt 22 trillion , Well I guess more taxes wasn't the answer,

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Denial - the river the right is floating down currently. Keep believing in the ideology fed to you by your owners and believing that God and the economy are what really matters in policy. All that has done is turn us from the most respected country in the world into a laughing stock over the last 40 years, but you just keep believing it....way to work that one through.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Its not that simple now . With the cliff in sight . The Dems will make no deal and blame the middle class tax hike on the GOP . When its in the interest of the Dems to go over the cliff. They will. If we go over the cliff it will be the Dems doing . Not the GOP . The dems will go over the the rep will give them the tax on the rich . But that won't be enough.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Denial - the river the right is floating down currently. Keep believing in the ideology fed to you by your owners and believing that God and the economy are what really matters in policy. All that has done is turn us from the most respected country in the world into a laughing stock over the last 40 years, but you just keep believing it....way to work that one through.

Kind of like the ideology that if we tax the rich just a little bit more it will actually make a difference? They're right, Denial isn't just a river in Africa.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
Me myself . I want to see the rich get taxed at what ever level the dems choose . Than in 4 years we can say after were indebt 22 trillion , Well I guess more taxes wasn't the answer,

+1.

The reps should give the dems as much leash as they want.