President Bush's remarks about God assailed by "true" Christians

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
Correct.There is but on God. Whoever terrorists pray to is not that God, you can bank on that. :confused:

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Whoever terrorists pray to is not that God, you can bank on that
You're kidding yourself if you believe that.

Here's what somebody had to say about two sides invoking the same God from a past war.
Both read the same Bible and pray to the same God, and each invokes His aid against the other. It may seem strange that any men should dare to ask a just God's assistance in wringing their bread from the sweat of other men's faces, but let us judge not, that we be not judged. The prayers of both could not be answered. That of neither has been answered fully. The Almighty has His own purposes.
- Abraham Lincoln

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
How much faith should we have in GWB beliefs? He "believed" there were WMD's in Iraq. He "believed" Saddam was in cohots with OBL. He "believed" he was a uniter not a divider.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
"This president has earned a lot of wiggle room among evangelicals," Land said. "If he had said that Islam is on a par with Christianity, it would be a more serious case of heartburn. This is just indigestion."
I love evangelicals. Somehow Bush's statement that Muslims and Christians worship the same God is substantially different from saying Islam is on a par with Christianity?! These people should have indigestion from all the BS they are regurgitating.

busmaster11

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2000
Originally posted by: tnitsuj
from Washingtonpost.com

Funny, I always thought that the God of Abraham was the god of Jews, Christians, and Muslims.

Back in the OT day, yes. But Jews and Christians followed his son Isaac, and Muslims followed his son Ismael. Correct me if I'm wrong.

More importantly, only Christians acknowledge Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: busmaster11
from Washingtonpost.com

Funny, I always thought that the God of Abraham was the god of Jews, Christians, and Muslims.

Back in the OT day, yes. But Jews and Christians followed his son Isaac, and Muslims followed his son Ismael. Correct me if I'm wrong.

More importantly, only Christians acknowledge Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior.

Do christians think Jesus is a god himself? Or rather, 'God'? I always thought they believed jesus was the son of god.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: MartyTheManiak
from Washingtonpost.com

Do christians think Jesus is a god himself? Or rather, 'God'? I always thought they believed jesus was the son of god.

Father, Son and Holy Spirit; known as the Holy Trinity. All God.

Shad0hawK

Banned
May 26, 2003
Originally posted by: MartyTheManiak
from Washingtonpost.com

there are differing views, catholics and the vast majority of protestants view Jesus as God incarnate. some such as jehova's witness' belive jesus was actually the archangel michael.

here is a bit of trivia, the word "Jesus" is derived from the latin "Iesus"(pronounced eye-zus) which is derived from the greek "Iesous"(pronounced similarly as latin eye-ee-zoos)

the english name "Joshua" is an anglicized version of the hebrew word "Yeshua"(pronounced Yah-shoe-ah) which was the name of Jesus in hebrew. much like the english name benjamen which in hebrew is benyamin. in hebrew the j sound is pronounced as a Y sound.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
The Rev. Ted Haggard, president of the National Association of Evangelicals, also issued a statement contradicting Bush.

"The Christian God encourages freedom, love, forgiveness, prosperity and health. The Muslim god appears to value the opposite. The personalities of each god are evident in the cultures, civilizations and dispositions of the peoples that serve them. Muhammad's central message was submission; Jesus' central message was love. They seem to be very different personalities," Haggard said.

In other words, Islam is evil.
rolleye.gif

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
from Washingtonpost.com

Jews don't believe in Jesus (he was a fake or whatever)
Christians believe he was the saviour
Muslims believe (IIRC) that he was a prophet.

And they do all still believe in the same God, whether they followed Ismael or Isaac. Doesn't stop the God being the same, and they were all descended from Abraham. (Abraham being the father of Isaac and Ismael)

busmaster11

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Lonyo
from Washingtonpost.com

Jews don't believe in Jesus (he was a fake or whatever)
Christians believe he was the saviour
Muslims believe (IIRC) that he was a prophet.

And they do all still believe in the same God, whether they followed Ismael or Isaac. Doesn't stop the God being the same, and they were all descended from Abraham. (Abraham being the father of Isaac and Ismael)

Whats your criteria for saying that? That may be true if there were Muslims and Christians 3000 years ago, but not today, and not for as long as they have been around.

Christians do not believe Muslims and Jews are saved because those groups do not acknowledge Jesus as their Lord and Savior. <-- That is my criteria for whther they believe in the same god.

You may or may not know any "Christians" that disagree with that. That would be clearly contradictory to what is written in the Bible.

busmaster11

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2000
BTW, I believe Bush's comments were a transparent and cheap and misguided attempt to bring a measure of peace and acknowledgement of respect to those who believe this is a religious battle. I don't believe that he truely believes those words, nor do I believe he even respects Middle Easterners, NonChristians, fill-in-the-blank.

The response by conservative Christians was more of a correction then a criticism, as they have always been his biggest supporters.

BTW, I am a Christian, but liberal. :)

See if you agree with this:
http://www.clnnlc.org/about_issues.html