President Bush is giving his speech before the UN right now

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Czar
Originally posted by: Wag
The real question is how you classify "WMD". If the US decides to put up a missle/laser defense system in orbit, would it be considered WMD? Would any defense system?

What are the mini-nukes? I heard about that.

wmd's are usualy classified as nuclear bio and chemical weapons

American Heritage Dcitionary:

WMD's: Acronym for Weapons of Mass Destruction, consisting of nuclear, biological and chemical weapons possessed by foreign countries. The United States is exept from such a label and therefore any treaties, declarations or international laws restricting or prohibiting the construction, development or stockpiling of such weapons are null and void to the USA.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: lozina
Originally posted by: Czar
Originally posted by: Wag
The real question is how you classify "WMD". If the US decides to put up a missle/laser defense system in orbit, would it be considered WMD? Would any defense system?

What are the mini-nukes? I heard about that.

wmd's are usualy classified as nuclear bio and chemical weapons

American Heritage Dcitionary:

WMD's: Acronym for Weapons of Mass Destruction, consisting of nuclear, biological and chemical weapons possessed by foreign countries. The United States is exept from such a label and therefore any treaties, declarations or international laws restricting or prohibiting the construction, development or stockpiling of such weapons are null and void to the USA.

I have always wondered why that is.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
I see Bush, Powell, and Rice have bailed on Chirac's speech. Admittedly, it's surprising that FOXNews and MSNBC are televising Chirac but CNN is showing the fatman of Connecticut (Sen. Dodd).

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
FOX has reverted to its normal mode of misinformation while CNN and MSNBC continue to broadcast Chirac.

Damn CNN and MSNBC have followed the FOX script . . . so much for keeping the American public informed. Thank goodness for CSPAN.

Electrode

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
I missed it! :|

Anyone capture it? Maybe C-SPAN will rerun it later tonight...

Edit: Nevermind, cspan has it on their site. Crappy realvideo, but it'll do.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
And all nations that fight terror, as if the lives of their own people depend on it, will earn the favorable judgment of history," Bush said.

I love how bush plays soothsayer, staring into his crystal ball at the future. "The future, Conan?" Isn't it a little early to be portraying how history will view our actions in Iraq?
rolleye.gif

Additionally, I find it ridiculous that he's still framing the war in Iraq along with 9/11 and terror. You would think there would be nobody left on this planet that still believes that garbage.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
"There's no neutral ground"

AKA

"You're either with us or against us"

I really wish Bush would stop saying those phrases!

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
Originally posted by: lozina
"There's no neutral ground"

AKA

"You're either with us or against us"

I really wish Bush would stop saying those phrases!

Cowboy George smoked too many horsesh!t cigarettes to think beyond some movie script slogan he thinks he coined.
;)

Crimson

Banned
Oct 11, 1999
NFS et all if you could just change your name to Anti-Bush #1, 2, 3, etc.. please.. thanks. You will read into anything you see to make it Anti-Bush.. because, like many others, all you are interested in is making the President look bad.. no matter what he does. Just be honest about it.

What are you crybabies gonna do when Bush is re-elected? What are you going to shout then? What lies are you going to make up then? People thought conservatives were in a tissy when Clinton got elected.. my god, you libs are pretty much going psycho.

Piano Man

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Crimson
NFS et all if you could just change your name to Anti-Bush #1, 2, 3, etc.. please.. thanks. You will read into anything you see to make it Anti-Bush.. because, like many others, all you are interested in is making the President look bad.. no matter what he does. Just be honest about it.

What are you crybabies gonna do when Bush is re-elected? What are you going to shout then? What lies are you going to make up then? People thought conservatives were in a tissy when Clinton got elected.. my god, you libs are pretty much going psycho.

Hmm, Clinton lied about a blowjob, and Bush told half-truths so we could get a piece of real estate in the Middle East. Apples and Oranges maybe?

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
I watched the President's presentation at the UN. As for my statements . . .

1) "Nexus" is clearly an administration talking point. If GWB and his minions are Star Trek fans then I certainly understand the appeal.

2) The notion of Karzai as the President of a nation called Afghanistan that is making dramatic strides towards peace and prosperity is total BS. The coalition (which actually exists in Afghanistan) has clearly stated the forces in Afghanistan are primarily in Kabul and the immediate vicinity while control of much of the country is in the hands of warlords like Doston. The rights of women and the rule of law have not advanced substantially.

3) It was nice of Bush to highlight the expected achievements of UNICEF. What he failed to mention is that progress by the UNICEF vaccination program was halted due to the US invasion and will delay the completion of the vaccination program by a year.

4) I doubt you care but Chirac did wipe his eyes. My comment about laughing (and the prostitute) are pure speculation . . . so I guess you got me there.

5) Friends and allies is another talking point. Essentially a jibe at those that do not toe the line to imply they are not friendly nor an ally of America if they don't wholeheartedly support American endeavors. The people of France and their leadership do not agree with half of America and our leadership. But it's ridiculous to claim much of the world supports us when EVERY official coalition member had a population that overwelmingly disagreed with Bush War 2003 (UK population now reflects their informed state).

6) Maybe it was coincidence but the Thai delegation got airtime for 10 secs . . . right before Bush began his section on the slave trade (with special emphasis on sex tourism). Curiously, Bush did not mention his brother . . . I believe it was Neil.

7) All of the significant members of the US delegation left immediately after Bush's speech. Who knows what Bush and Chirac discussed later but a real statesman would exchange the courtesy of listening with the UN Assembly. We are not above the rest of the world. A little humility goes a long ways even if it's fake humility.

8) FOX = bias. FOX is so biased they are not a reliable source of information. Engels(?) is ridiculous. FOX gives 10% news and 90% commentary. You will love this gem. FOX just reported the weekend polling on the Bush slide. According to Brit Hume, Bush's 50% job approval rating is a majority. Although I would grudgingly yield 51% . . . 50% just doesn't cut it.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
Why did they flash Thailand when Bush started talking about trafficking in teen females?

Cause farm families there sell their daughters into prostitution. At least, that's what my geography teacher who spends 6 months a year there says.

Dec 27, 2001
I watched the President's presentation at the UN. As for my statements . . .

8) FOX = bias. FOX is so biased they are not a reliable source of information. Engels(?) is ridiculous. FOX gives 10% news and 90% commentary. You will love this gem. FOX just reported the weekend polling on the Bush slide. According to Brit Hume, Bush's 50% job approval rating is a majority. Although I would grudgingly yield 51% . . . 50% just doesn't cut it.

Depends if 50% also disapprove or if there are undecideds. But you're nitpicking.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Actually many of the young women willingly go to the city (Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Pattaya). I do not doubt that some families sell young women but it's clearly demand driven . . . ie businessmen from other countries particularly Western Europe, Middle East, Japan, and the US.

Officials in Thailand have a vigorous program trying to reduce the child sex trade within their borders. I dare you to find such programs in Pakistan or Saudi Arabia. For some reason selling a 14yo is perfectly acceptable if she only has to service one man.

Dec 27, 2001
Actually many of the young women willingly go to the city (Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Pattaya). I do not doubt that some families sell young women but it's clearly demand driven . . . ie businessmen from other countries particularly Western Europe, Middle East, Japan, and the US.

Officials in Thailand have a vigorous program trying to reduce the child sex trade within their borders. I dare you to find such programs in Pakistan or Saudi Arabia. For some reason selling a 14yo is perfectly acceptable if she only has to service one man.

I hear, honestly, that it's largly German 'business' men.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Depends if 50% also disapprove or if there are undecideds. But you're nitpicking.

Actually I'm not nitpicking. You would be hard pressed to name a more significant Bush cheerleader than FOX. In a decidedly biased presentation they attempted to minimize the decline in Bush's ratings. They flashed various polls including the head2head polls between various combinations of Bush vs Clark/Kerry/Dean but unlike CNN, FOX chose to put all three polls on a single screen (Bush/Dean was a narrow victory for Bush which Hume mentioned of course). Then FOX flashed Bush's job approval which was 50% vs 47%. It doesn't matter that 3% are undecided. Despite this fact, the only comment Hume made was not the actual approval rating but his proclamation that a majority of Americans approve of Bush's job performance. If the poll had said 51% I would call Hume's commentary biased. As it stands his proclamation scarcely rises above misleading. A more accurate statement would be, "half of Americans approve of Bush's job performance."

50% = half

50% != majority

The English language is incredibly discriminating (sweeping generalization/false dichotomy to follow) so either FOXNews commentators either lack mastery of our tongue or they've got a POV that distorts their reporting.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
I hear, honestly, that it's largly German 'business' men.
There are plenty of German businessmen but calling it largely German is a mistake. One Bush doesn't mean much but the Germans have multinational, multiethnic, and multiracial company when it comes to depravity and children.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
What a lame and useless speech imo. No effort to bridge the gap, no effort to give more info on iraq. Sad.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Unfortunately I kept getting interrupted today, so I missed the transition from his opening remarks. I did hear AfghanistanandIraq. He was do anxious to link the two in the context of terrorism, that he barely separated the works.

As for the rest,

Slavery = Bad
Kiddy prostitution = bad

I agree with those two.

Now, BBD, I wonder when malaria will occur to him as an ill. As you know, this is much neglected, and not just by the US.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
What a lame and useless speech imo. No effort to bridge the gap, no effort to give more info on iraq. Sad.
It's clear that we will get neither substantial troops nor money from the UN so why should Bush relinquish the reins of power? Bush's speech was for his base in the party and the American public. Bush is trying to shore up American resolve. The hardcore Bushies will be quite satisfied with the speech particularly if they followed the subsequent FOX commentary.

Now, BBD, I wonder when malaria will occur to him as an ill. As you know, this is much neglected, and not just by the US.
No money in it. Why would America care about a disease that doesn't directly affect our population or our drug companies? I used to despise Bill Gates' monopoly power but the man is actually making an effort to change the world using money largely collected from the US and Europe. It's a shame the world has depend on liberal philanthropists instead of moral governments. Of course, Europe is scarcely better than America but the majority of initiatives certainly find greater support in Europe/developed Asia than America.