President Bush is an illegal music downloader!

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
http://www.tomshardware.com/20...a_little_ipod_scandal/

President Bush Caught In A Little IPod Scandal

April 7, 2008 11:04

Chicago (IL) - In a recent Fox News interview, Bush shared his affection for iPods, showed the music player and revealed a portion of his playlist. As it appears, Bush ripped Beatles music from CDs and copied it to the music player. As we all should know, this is a big no-no, at least according to the RIAA. Is Bush breaking the law?

The President confessed his love for the iPod to Brit Hume, who talked to Bush on air at the end of that when the interview was almost over and the microphone actually already had been turned down. Hume got a glimpse of an iPod sitting on a desk behind Bush, which prompted the journalist to ask the President about iPods and music.

Bush told the reporter that besides the hard-drive based model he also has the "little one" shuffle model, explaining that you "shuffle to shuffle". He said he often slips the Shuffle model in his pocket, puts the headphones on and jogs, concluding that "it's a pretty high-tech stuff". Then Bush grabbed his iPod and ran through some of the artists on his playlist, reading them aloud. Thanks to Fox, we now know that our President likes The Beach Boys, Alan Jackson, Alison Crowe, The Angels, Aretha Franklin, The Beatles ... Wait a minute: The Beatles?

As far as we know, the legendary British pop band isn't yet available on iTunes or any other download service. The only way that Bush could have acquired these songs (other than any secret service channels) would be to rip Beatles CDs on his own. If the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) is right the Bush has broken the law in a worst-case scenario,
but is moving in a legal grey zone in any way you look at it.
Last year, RIAA decided that it may be illegal to rip CDs and put them on your iPod. Yes, if you haven't read that news last year, ripping a legal CD could be illegal.

The music industry took its rigid stand on ripping during dramatic trial in Minnesota last October, when judge ordered Jammie Thomas to pay $220,000 to the record labels for sharing 24 songs online ($9250 per song). It was during that trial that Sony BMG's chief of litigation, Jennifer Pariser, testified: "When an individual makes a copy of a song for himself, I suppose we can say he stole a song." She went even further by saying that copying a song you bought is "a nice way of saying 'steals just one copy'."

It should make for an interesting impeachment debate in Congress.

bbdub333

Aug 21, 2007
So if he legally ripped the CD... which according to your own article, is legal, then how is he an "illegal music downloader" again?

Edit:

And a simple iTunes search shows that there are, in fact, Beatles songs available on iTunes... "In The Beginning: The Beatles & Tony Sheridan"

/stupid thread.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
I knew The Beatles were satanic just like the skull and bones fellows too

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
It's tempting to want to rip on Bush for this (pun intended), however, despite whatever the RIAA likes to say, ripping a CD to your own mp3 player is legal fair use, and something I do all the time, so it would be hypocritical of me to knock Bush for this. Plus, the thread title is wrong, unless it can be shown that Bush got this off a torrent or whatever.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Vic
It's tempting to want to rip on Bush for this (pun intended), however, despite whatever the RIAA likes to say, ripping a CD to your own mp3 player is legal fair use, and something I do all the time, so it would be hypocritical of me to knock Bush for this. Plus, the thread title is wrong, unless it can be shown that Bush got this off a torrent or whatever.

I don't think that the OP was really trying to bash Bush for this. I think it's more of a statement as to how stupid the RIAA's position on this issue is.

bbdub333

Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: eskimospy

I don't think that the OP was really trying to bash Bush for this.

Judging by who the OP is, I'm gonna go ahead and say you're wrong.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
It's so easy to bash the bush though...

The elephant in the room that nobody mentioned is the fact that bush probably has no clue what ripping is or how to do it.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: seemingly random
It's so easy to bash the bush though...

The elephant in the room that nobody mentioned is the fact that bush probably has no clue what ripping is or how to do it.

I just assumed one of the Bush daughters did it for him. :D

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Hey, if our congress can't get the deed done and impeach the chimp, I for one am willing to give the RIAA one more chance
to rehabilitate themselves in my eyes. It takes a thief to catch a thief. Sic em, chew, bite, kill, masticate. Its well past time for GWB&co to face the music.

babylon5

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2000
No one can prove Bush deosn't share his songs with Cheney, Jeb, or Barbara.

But RIAA only go after mostly people with no money. Bush got away again!

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Is it seriously illegal to rip your own CDs or is Vic right? :confused:

Fair Use was such a perfect name for that cool little video app. :)

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: SickBeast
Is it seriously illegal to rip your own CDs or is Vic right? :confused:

Fair Use was such a perfect name for that cool little video app. :)

It's exceedingly unlikely the RIAA could successfully sue someone for ripping their own CD's.

Their lawyers have attempted to stake out the absolute farthest, craziest extreme on this issue, but it's pretty much just talk.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Originally posted by: eskimospy

I don't think that the OP was really trying to bash Bush for this. I think it's more of a statement as to how stupid the RIAA's position on this issue is.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Sure he was. And he should. Bush or his supporters have used inane things like this to bash their opponents. All politicians do this. You reap what you sew.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
I don't accept that ripping your own CD for use on an MP3 player is fair use.

What's the difference in principle between that and copying your own CD of Windows Vista that you installed on one of your PCs and installing it on another of your PCs?

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
The RIAA has never pursued this theory in court because
1) they'd lose and set a bad precedent for themselves
2) there's tons of people to sue for what is authoritatively illegal so no reason to shoot themselves in the foot

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
I would be highly surprised to find out that Bush actually knows how to copy a CD using the coffee cup holder on his computer.