Preserving white wine from a can?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I can see cans actually working ok to preserve wine, but I guess it being out of the ordinary and a bottle feeling more "classy" it seems odd. But honestly if I could find canned wine here I'd try it, since it's a good portion if you want wine but don't want to open a whole bottle.

That said, this thread had made me thirsty for wine so I just opened a bottle. :p

Next time you're in a larger liquor store ask them .... they may not have much/any in stock locally but I'm pretty confident they can get canned wine even in Timmons!

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Next time you're in a larger liquor store ask them .... they may not have much/any in stock locally but I'm pretty confident they can get canned wine even in Timmons!

Oh I'm sure they could, it's just not something I'd bother asking, if it's not there it's not there, I just get the bottles.

Reactions: Captante

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Cork isn't necessarily to preserve wine - most well made wine is generally bottled at a point where it is not designed to be drank right away (eg cabernet/bordeaux, nebbiolo, tempranillo, etc) and the cork is designed to allow controlled amount of air over time to soften the wine. There are now good synthetic corks as well as engineered screwcaps that allow very specific air exchange, but also allow for controlled preservation. Some wines are designed to be drank very quickly and are made as such (generally the less expensive ones, but there are also very high end wines that are made to be drank "young").

true. I like the synthetic corks...but then consider that moving towards something like that is just more non-degradable mess to be tossed out into the world (actually I don't know how they are made, but can't imagine that plastics aren't involved)--and then, do you really want your wine sitting there for some years, touching that plastic cork? probably not....

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
true. I like the synthetic corks...but then consider that moving towards something like that is just more non-degradable mess to be tossed out into the world (actually I don't know how they are made, but can't imagine that plastics aren't involved)--and then, do you really want your wine sitting there for some years, touching that plastic cork? probably not....

FYI, the synthetic corks are edible.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
FYI, the synthetic corks are edible.
Don't know if I would go that far. Some synthetic corks are oil based plastics (polyethylene) and some are now being produced through bioavailable products like sugarcane, but they still are converted to plastics (bio-polyethylene).

Of the bottles in my cellar, I wouldn't even hazard a guess at how many are using natural corks vs synthetic, but generally when bottles get over a certain price point (probably $20+) then the cost of the cork becomes much less important. A quick look at ~20 corks I have from bottles I've opened recently shows them all being natural corks (most of them are DIAM variations). In inexpensive wines (like the $10 swill sold at grocery stores) then the cork can become 50% of the cost (assuming the bottle actually costs the winery/manufacturer less than $3 to make).

Reactions: Captante

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I've always preferred beer from a can rather than from a bottle. Its always a bit fresher and I've almost never gotten skunked out beer from a can the way I have from a bottle that was stored too warm or exposed to too much light at the store.

Canned wines likely follow the same concept, with the biggest hold-up for the mass adoption of canned wines is that distributors will put crap wine in the can due to cultural attitudes about where wine should come from.