Pres news conference 10/28

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Ok, he just said that because of the events of 9/11 we needed to take action in Iraq.

I thought he just said a few weeks ago that Saddam Hussein had no links to 9/11?

Which is it?

smashp

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2003
It depends upon the position of the moon.

Actually this is just a delay tactic.

The press are still afraid of asking any tough question.

The presidential debates should be interesting.

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Wag
Ok, he just said that because of the events of 9/11 we needed to take action in Iraq.

I thought he just said a few weeks ago that Saddam Hussein had no links to 9/11?

Which is it?

IMHO the Palestinians, Saudi Arabia and the Pakistan probably had more to do with 9/11 than Iraq. Don't think I'll bother elablorating much further.

Cheers,

Andy

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
It's not that I have a problem with what's being done in Iraq- not if it was done for the right reasons.

I just wish the administration could get their stories straight. It's either one or the other.

I was listening to the conference and he was very close to saying Al Qaeda was responsible for the bombings in Iraq- he hedged, and then eventually said "foreign terrorists". Then right after he linked Iraq with 9/11 again. Makes no sense.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
I was also watching the speech. I'm a little anxious for the transcript to come out because I could swear he said "We have the right to enforce UN resolutions", but the kid was screaming at the time so I can't say for sure what he said.

smashp

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2003
the ol,

"Were going against the UN security council to enforce the UN security councils Logic"

craziest logic ever.

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
Wag, I also thought he was going to say "Al Queda." He stumbled around quite a bit there but, as you observed, then came up with "foreign terrorists." I also like the question about Sharon converting outposts to cities and are we going to do anything about it. It was a long, slow, no.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Holy crap! Did I miss one of the rare unscripted Bush press conferences! Crap crap crap. Transcripts? Anyone?

GrGr

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2003
Was it only me or didn't Bush himself believe half of what he read? He read his speech rather slowly and in a kind of subdued monotone, with the occasional twist in his face. Even the journalists looked embarrassed when the cameras focused on them during the "questioning", I thought.

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
His reading was slow and in a monotone. I also thought he had more difficulty with language. Lots of looking for the right word or term. But, DealMonkey, it wasn't unscripted. Bush called on each reporter by first name to let them ask questions.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Wow, both you guys (GrGr & Whitling) mention slow and monotone. Either you possess the same level of observation or you were both watching the same post-speech commentary. ;)

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
Gaard, I listened on NPR and didn't hear any commentary. You mean the commentators are saying the same thing? I did read the comment about slow and monotonous and agree with it. The word selection problem is my own observation.

Edited: I don't think the President's speech paterns necessarily reflect his ability to do the job, but I think everyone would agree that "glib" isn't the descriptive word that leaps to mind when thinking of GWB. He has what I would characterize as language problems. I would not extend that to say that he has thinking problems -- other than to the extent that he relies on the neocons.

GrGr

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2003
I didn't watch or listen to any post-speech commentary from the newsstations. What's the point with that? :p

smashp

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Gaard
Wow, both you guys (GrGr & Whitling) mention slow and monotone. Either you possess the same level of observation or you were both watching the same post-speech commentary. ;)

id have to agree with the majority. It was slow and monotone.

YOu could watch the gerbil in his head running on the wheel as he carefully picked his words.

I think the reason is he is bogged down. Waste deep in his own BullSh!t

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Yahoo has a story on the speech, but as of yet I can't locate a transcript to verify the statement I thought I heard him say.

GrGr & Whitling, guess my assumption was wrong. Just seemed kind of weird that you would both mention the same adjectives. :)

Vadatajs

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: smashp
It depends upon the position of the moon.

Actually this is just a delay tactic.

The press are still afraid of asking any tough question.

The presidential debates should be interesting.

I don't really think it's the press that lacks the initiative, they are protected under the 1st ammendment. It's the administration that refuses to answer anything but pre-approved questions.

I think they need to subpoena Bush and end this issue once and for all. No more running, time to fess up and tell the country the truth.

But the truth has YET to be told on ANY issue from the whitehouse. More of my liberal wishful thinking I guess.

BTW: I can take a joke, you nazis here can vote for Bush again, it'll be fun to watch the country I was born and raised in piloted into the ground by a morally bankrupt chimp over the next 4 years.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Gaard
I was also watching the speech. I'm a little anxious for the transcript to come out because I could swear he said "We have the right to enforce UN resolutions", but the kid was screaming at the time so I can't say for sure what he said.

I was wrong. His exact words were "And we were right to enforce U.N. resolutions as well." Similar, but with a completely different meaning. transcript

I would also like to comment about the point BOBDN/nowareman brought up in his locked thread. Nobody here can say for a fact that what President Bush said about the 'Mission Accomplished' banner is true. But I want to go on record as saying I think what he said is a load of crap.

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000
I think the biggest news is that he invented a new word: suiciders. (page 2 of the transcript gaard posted).

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: MonstaThrilla
I think the biggest news is that he invented a new word: suiciders. (page 2 of the transcript gaard posted).

Nice catch. :D He says it twice though? WTF?

It is dangerous in Iraq because there are some who believe that we're soft, that the will of the United States can be shaken by suiciders and suiciders who are willing to drive up to a Red Cross center, a center of international help and aid and comfort, and just kill.

That goes nicely with Rummy's memo, where he coins the word, "behinder."

Is our current situation such that "the harder we work, the behinder we get"?

Does this administration need an ESL (English as a Second Language) course? Well, I know Bush definitely does, but...

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: DealMonkey

Nice catch. :D He says it twice though? WTF?

It is dangerous in Iraq because there are some who believe that we're soft, that the will of the United States can be shaken by suiciders and suiciders who are willing to drive up to a Red Cross center, a center of international help and aid and comfort, and just kill.

That goes nicely with Rummy's memo, where he coins the word, "behinder."

Is our current situation such that "the harder we work, the behinder we get"?

Does this administration need an ESL (English as a Second Language) course? Well, I know Bush definitely does, but...

Just a little trivia. Rummy did not invent that. In PA Dutch country, english is influenced by German language syntax. A common saying is "The hurrier I go, the behinder I get". He was just using a variant of that, assuming the target reader would get it.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

What would be a more Gramitically or Politically correct? Would rather see him choose a new word like that than an old word such as Kamakazi.

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

What would be a more Gramitically or Politically correct? Would rather see him choose a new word like that than an old word such as Kamakazi.

Suicide bombers? Homicide bombers? Terrorists? Foreign muhajadeen?

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: WinstonSmith
Just a little trivia. Rummy did not invent that. In PA Dutch country, english is influenced by German language syntax. A common saying is "The hurrier I go, the behinder I get". He was just using a variant of that, assuming the target reader would get it.

Ah, I see. So Rummy is sending out props to the Ahmish now? Huh. How 'bout that. :)