Pres. Debates To Be More Free Flowing!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: hellokeith
Shouldn't Obama debate Palin since he has the least experience of all the candidates?

Obama has been to Iraq, and the Iraqi Prime Minister Maliki endorsed his withdrawal timetable before the administration more or less came around to some similar thinking.

I don't think Sarah Palin could find Iraq on a map.

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
McCain advisers said they were only somewhat concerned about Ms. Palin?s debating skills compared with those of Mr. Biden, who has served six terms in the Senate, or about his chances of tripping her up. Instead, they say, they wanted Ms. Palin to have opportunities to present Mr. McCain?s positions, rather than spending time talking about her experience or playing defense.

Why bother calling it a 'debate' if all they want Palin to do is a speech? Is she that incompetent?

And if she is, I would prefer to see how incompetent she is by having the same free flow format as the presidential debates.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Originally posted by: TheBDB
I hope the VP debate doesn't turn into big bad old white man Biden beating up on sweet innocent Palin. What I mean is, sure he has more experience and she is not a good speaker and she has remarkably stupid ideas, but the Republicans can spin it if Biden isn't careful.

I'll bet there's a 90% chance this happens. Palin has no ceiling above her and no floor below her! She only needs to pronounce nuclear with three syllables and she will be riding Biden like a dominatrix with a whip.

-Robert

JJChicken

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2007
Originally posted by: Perknose
Shouldn't Obama debate Palin since he has the least experience of all the candidates?

Obama has been to Iraq, and the Iraqi Prime Minister Maliki endorsed his withdrawal timetable before the administration more or less came around to some similar thinking.

I hear she can see Russia from Alaska.

SilthDraeth

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2003
Originally posted by: chess9
I hope the VP debate doesn't turn into big bad old white man Biden beating up on sweet innocent Palin. What I mean is, sure he has more experience and she is not a good speaker and she has remarkably stupid ideas, but the Republicans can spin it if Biden isn't careful.

I'll bet there's a 90% chance this happens. Palin has no ceiling above her and no floor below her! She only needs to pronounce nuclear with three syllables and she will be riding Biden like a dominatrix with a whip.

-Robert

Nuclear has 3 syllables.

www.dictionary.com

nuclear
6 dictionary results for: nuclear
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
nu·cle·ar /'nukli?r, 'nyu- or, by metathesis, -ky?l?r/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[noo-klee-er, nyoo- or, by metathesis, -kyuh-ler] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
?adjective
1. pertaining to or involving atomic weapons: nuclear war.
2. operated or powered by atomic energy: a nuclear submarine.
3. (of a nation or group of nations) having atomic weapons.
4. of, pertaining to, or forming a nucleus.
5. of, pertaining to, or like the nuclear family: nuclear bonds.
?noun Informal.
6. nuclear energy: switching to nuclear as a power source.
[Origin: 1840?50; nucle(us) + -ar1; cf. F nucléaire]

?Pronunciation note In pronouncing nuclear, the second and third syllables are most commonly said as /-kli?r/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[-klee-er]

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Originally posted by: GroundedSailor
McCain advisers said they were only somewhat concerned about Ms. Palin?s debating skills compared with those of Mr. Biden, who has served six terms in the Senate, or about his chances of tripping her up. Instead, they say, they wanted Ms. Palin to have opportunities to present Mr. McCain?s positions, rather than spending time talking about her experience or playing defense.
Why bother calling it a 'debate' if all they want Palin to do is a speech? Is she that incompetent?
And if she is, I would prefer to see how incompetent she is by having the same free flow format as the presidential debates.
Most of these "debates" are really nothing more than moderated joint press conferences. The candidates listen carefully to the question, then delivered the practiced answer closest to subject. If there is a follow-up, they again "interpret" the question to fit what they want to answer rather than what was actually asked. This is exactly what I expect from the Palin side of the debate; Senator Biden is more unpredictable, since he tends to go off-script at any opportunity.

-Robert
How do I purge that image from memory?
BTW, "Nucular" is also three syllables...

edit: syntax

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: CallMeJoe
Most of these "debates" are really nothing more than moderated joint press conferences. The candidates listen carefully to the question, then delivered the practiced answer closest to subject. If there is a follow-up, they again "interpret" the question to fit what they want to answer rather than what was actually asked. This is exactly what I expect from the Palin side of the debate; Senator Biden is more unpredictable, since he tends to go off-script at any opportunity.

-Robert

Pretty much right on the money. They don't answer the questions asked of them, they just answer the questions they wish they had been asked. Because of this, Palin will 'outperform' expectations, because the people making the expectations are retarded. All she has to do is read her lines from memory and the debate will be considered a 'win' for her because Biden is supposed to be the superior debater. Of course it doesn't matter that he isn't actually allowed to debate her much at all, because since people don't understand how debates are supposed to work they won't care.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Zedtom
Indeed, both the McCain and Obama campaigns have similar concerns about the vice-presidential matchup in St. Louis: that Ms. Palin, of Alaska, as a new player in national politics, or Mr. Biden, of Delaware, as a loquacious and gaffe-prone speaker, could commit a momentum-changing misstep in their debate.

Yep. The OP and BHO apologists want to make it seem like this is only a McCain/Palin thing but in reality it's the best for both sides. Biden is loose lipped and error prone and she may not be able to handle some of the "gotcha" BS he'd throw at her.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: eskimospy

-Robert

Pretty much right on the money. They don't answer the questions asked of them, they just answer the questions they wish they had been asked. Because of this, Palin will 'outperform' expectations, because the people making the expectations are retarded. All she has to do is read her lines from memory and the debate will be considered a 'win' for her because Biden is supposed to be the superior debater. Of course it doesn't matter that he isn't actually allowed to debate her much at all, because since people don't understand how debates are supposed to work they won't care.

Wrong. She could choke and die on her works or scream expletives and Fox News and Rush will pronounce she mopped up Biden in the debate and that will be that. For millions and millions of people she will have won. ;)

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Originally posted by: SilthDraeth

-Robert

Nuclear has 3 syllables.

www.dictionary.com

nuclear
6 dictionary results for: nuclear
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
nu·cle·ar /'nukli?r, 'nyu- or, by metathesis, -ky?l?r/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[noo-klee-er, nyoo- or, by metathesis, -kyuh-ler] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
?adjective
1. pertaining to or involving atomic weapons: nuclear war.
2. operated or powered by atomic energy: a nuclear submarine.
3. (of a nation or group of nations) having atomic weapons.
4. of, pertaining to, or forming a nucleus.
5. of, pertaining to, or like the nuclear family: nuclear bonds.
?noun Informal.
6. nuclear energy: switching to nuclear as a power source.
[Origin: 1840?50; nucle(us) + -ar1; cf. F nucléaire]

?Pronunciation note In pronouncing nuclear, the second and third syllables are most commonly said as /-kli?r/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[-klee-er]

And your point is?

-Robert

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Moonbeam

-Robert

Wrong. She could choke and die on her works or scream expletives and Fox News and Rush will pronounce she mopped up Biden in the debate and that will be that. For millions and millions of people she will have won. ;)

Exactly.

-Robert

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Why have debates at all? After all, the real debates are in the uncountable thousands of campaign commercials that come at us in every form of communication known to man.

It is enough to drive every peace loving man, woman, and child into a sensory deprivation chamber from now until 11/5/2008.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
5 Pres would be nice.

But why do we need 3 VP debates? The VP debates are meaningless. All Palin has to do is sound halfway intelligent and she will have succeeded. I don't think the whole 'McCain is going to die' thing is going to change any votes and therefore she does not have to prove that she can be President tomorrow or next week.

Any word on the format for the VP debate? Are they sitting down at a table or being a podium. I think a table really helps Palin since she has a likablilty factor that Biden does not have.

Damn dude, can you hear yourself talk?

WTF! Why would you vote for someone that you know is stupid???????

Your a real hack, and she doesn't even sound 1/4 intelligent let alone half - that is unless she got really lucky and answered a few correctly.

We don't need another idiot in office, why does it sound appealing to you to vote for another idiot?

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Originally posted by: Zedtom
Indeed, both the McCain and Obama campaigns have similar concerns about the vice-presidential matchup in St. Louis: that Ms. Palin, of Alaska, as a new player in national politics, or Mr. Biden, of Delaware, as a loquacious and gaffe-prone speaker, could commit a momentum-changing misstep in their debate.

Yep. The OP and BHO apologists want to make it seem like this is only a McCain/Palin thing but in reality it's the best for both sides. Biden is loose lipped and error prone and she may not be able to handle some of the "gotcha" BS he'd throw at her.

Yeah, I know how you feel. I find it pretty funny, that even if X candidate did REALLY well, and Y candidate sounded dumb as a stump, it's really funny how people will vote for the idiots anyway.

Best for both sides but no matter what it probably won't change the way people vote IMO.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Yeh- Caribou Barbie still needs training wheels. But, don't worry, if her elderly running mate slips his mortal coil the day after the inauguration, why, all of the former president's advisors will be right there to help her out, get her up to speed on the talking points... in 8 or 10 years, she might have some vague idea what she's talking about.

That's change you can believe in, right?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

The problem is that she can be given pat answers to say for an hour's worth of material.

The old 'she made a speech and didn't answer the question' criticism isn't usually too bad.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I don't think the whole 'McCain is going to die' thing is going to change any votes and therefore she does not have to prove that she can be President tomorrow or next week.

I've heard from a number of people that they would have voted for McCain but won't because of the Palin nomination. That's exactly what she does need to do.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
5 Pres would be nice.

But why do we need 3 VP debates? The VP debates are meaningless. [1] All Palin has to do is sound halfway intelligent and she will have succeeded. [2] I don't think the whole 'McCain is going to die' thing is going to change any votes and therefore she does not have to prove that she can be President tomorrow or next week.

[3] Any word on the format for the VP debate? Are they sitting down at a table or being a podium. I think a table really helps Palin since she has a likablilty factor that Biden does not have.

[1] I don't share your abysmal and cynically low bar for "succeeding" to such a high office.

[2] Given McCain's age and personal history and family history, this is a keen concern of mine. She is startlingly unqualified for the job, imho.

[3] Dunno, but my guess is that it will be in the standard podium and lectern format.
Perk you weren't going to vote McCain to being with so your concern about number 2 is meaningless.

I think the only people worried about him dying are people who aren't voting for him anyway and are just looking for more reasons NOT to vote for him.

Why is his concern meaningless? The guy still has a decent chance of running the country for the next several years no matter how he votes. If you aren't at least a little concerned for McCain's health, you are in denial. The guy has had melanoma that has recurred twice. Continually recurring melanoma is a VERY serious risk to your survival and should not be taken lightly. Then add onto that the fact that he's already very old and all the other potential complications.

So no, all rational people should be worried about him dying in office.

EDIT: I swear some people can't think of the consequences of their actions beyond winning an election like it's a game of baseball.

A rare "+1" post from me. I've long told PJ he has a "debater's" mentality that puts scoring debate points ahead of any real appreciation for the importance of the issues.

It's the same mentality you see in people like Jonah Goldberg and other right-wing commentators, who make snippy little points but lack any substantive principles IMO, and in 'campaign strategists' who now how to use marketing practices to sell candidates and play around with 'themes' like character. That's the sort of thing that gets us George Bush.

WOO HOO! The campaign guys were able to use marketing to convince the public that Al Gore is a big fat liar and Bush is a straight shooter, his numbers are up! WOO HOO!

That's not a partisan issue - see the documentary "Our game is crisis" for a great look at the self-righteous James Carville team who went to Bolivia to get a guy elected there, who just 'knew' what was good for the country, and using sophisticated marketing techniques to manipulate public opinion, they put a disaster in office who had to resign in the midst of public rioting, where the guy they beat then became president and has become popular in office. 'OOPS'. 'Sorry bout that'.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Barack Obama

I hear she can see Russia from Alaska.

I can see it from my computer desk.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Originally posted by: SilthDraeth

And your point is?

-Robert

Well...What was your point for saying she would pronounce it with three?

It was a bit of double entendre. First of all she mis-pronounces the word. Secondly, if she just gets close-nuke-u-ler is likely, then she will have won the debate from the right wing's perspective. The point is that everyone has low expectations of Palin, whether it's nuclear, Bush's Doctrine, Russia, Iran, or The Bridge to Nowhere.

Nothing too complicated, or so I thought. ;)

-Robert