Preliminary semiconductor ranking for 2013.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Its interesting to see. Intel down 1%, AMD down 4.2%, nVidia down 5.6%.

And as usual, huge canibalism inside the ARM makers. With MediaTek being the winner.

However the big surprise is the DRAM/NAND manufactors. Micron up 109.2%, Hynix up 48.7%, Toshiba up 11.9% and Samsung up 7%.

2013-12-03_semi-market-shares.jpg

Its also worth noticing that TSMC is up 10.9% YoY. However TSMC latest QoQ is down 9.3% and Q1 is expected to be down another 6% and the smartphone/tablet segment seems to be entering their own sales crisis.

Last edited:

SiliconWars

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2012
Surprised Nvidia's numbers are so bad even with Tegra 4 being such a flop. Both Samsung and Qualcomm will be around the same revenue as Intel in 3 years at current rates. I guess Samsung is more likely to maintain their 7% than Qualcomm is to keep their 32%, but you never know.

ams23

Feb 18, 2013
Surprised Nvidia's numbers are so bad even with Tegra 4 being such a flop. Both Samsung and Qualcomm will be around the same revenue as Intel in 3 years at current rates. I guess Samsung is more likely to maintain their 7% than Qualcomm is to keep their 32%, but you never know.

You aren't making any sense. Tegra revenue was $200-250 million down vs. prior year, and this was anticipated months ago. That shortfall drove the decline seen above. The rest of their business was level (if not slightly up), and their gross margins were way up too.

Last edited:

GreenChile

Sep 4, 2007
Both Samsung and Qualcomm will be around the same revenue as Intel in 3 years at current rates.
Clearly you missed the fine print so let me highlight it for you. "Significant impact on growth due to Intel's acquisition of Fujitsu Semiconductor Wireless products". Intel is not likely to maintain a negative growth rate as acquisition costs are one time charges.

SiliconWars

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2012
Clearly you missed the fine print so let me highlight it for you. "Significant impact on growth due to Intel's acquisition of Fujitsu Semiconductor Wireless products". Intel is not likely to maintain a negative growth rate as acquisition costs are one time charges.

Not sure how Intel's revenue is affected by that, regardless by "significant" I'm pretty sure they mean "not significant", especially since Samsung made a not-massive $50 million on their sale.

No idea what Intel paid for Fujitsu's wireless but it won't be anything near as much as the $1 billion bay trail giveaway next year that's for certain. Anyway, no need to take my word for it when Intel themselves say revenue will be approximately flat in 2014 - http://www.intc.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=819810

Last edited:

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
However the big surprise is the DRAM/NAND manufactors. Micron up 109.2%, Hynix up 48.7%, Toshiba up 11.9% and Samsung up 7%.

Elpida went bankrupt and its remains were gobbled up by Micron, and OCZ went bankrupt and got eaten by Toshiba. Fairly unsurprising!

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Elpida went bankrupt and its remains were gobbled up by Micron, and OCZ went bankrupt and got eaten by Toshiba. Fairly unsurprising!

Those 3 companeis grew roughly 12B$ in revenue.

OCZ was a small company. Elpida had a 3.4B revenue last time. So they had over 8B$ growth. It is surprising.

2012-12-04_CLT1.jpg

Homeles

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2011
MediaTek is going to have their profits cut quite substantially over the next year or so, with all the cheap Atoms Intel's going to flood the market with.

SiliconWars

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2012
MediaTek is going to have their profits cut quite substantially over the next year or so, with all the cheap Atoms Intel's going to flood the market with.

Yep I agree they have most to lose. Nvidia might also be in trouble.

monstercameron

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2013

has intel already penetrated the chinese market with atom? else I dont see how this affects mediatek