Pregnant teens are "pinheads" - parents to "blame"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Perknose
Originally posted by: alchemize
O'Reilly is an idiot. I wonder why you watch him.

That said, most teens are pinheads in some ways. I was a pinhead as a teen, so were you.

As far as a 16yo getting knocked up, the parents obviously shoulder some of the blame, as a 16 year old is still a minor and doesn't need to be in situations where they could be having sex. But they are pinheads, and will lie/plot to do it if they want to. I know I did.

But you're not running for office on a restrictive fundamentalist morality platform, are you?

"Let's go whalin" Palin is, and I can smell the hypocrisy from here.
I think you need to back that up. Morality yes, but "restrictive fundamentalist" is a non sequitur.

Jun 26, 2007
Can we release the sex tape, already?

She is a huge fan of drilling on public lands.

Her co-star should be named Derrick. ;)

Hahaaaa!!!!

I thought this was funny as hell and i don't even have a clue about your second sentence!

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: blackangst1
Originally posted by: Dari
So what's the sex policy from the religious right?

1. No sex

got it. But if a teenager decides to have sex:

2. No condoms

=
Fucked up life anyway you look at it.

Huh. Im religious, and I fall on the right and I dont agree with these statements.

Odd.

Unless you represent the average, then it may not apply to you. But their abstinence and anti-condom policy is downright scary in the global village we live in. Incredibly irresponsible as well.

Jun 26, 2007
O'Reilly is an idiot. I wonder why you watch him.

That said, most teens are pinheads in some ways. I was a pinhead as a teen, so were you.

As far as a 16yo getting knocked up, the parents obviously shoulder some of the blame, as a 16 year old is still a minor and doesn't need to be in situations where they could be having sex. But they are pinheads, and will lie/plot to do it if they want to. I know I did.

But you're not running for office on a restrictive fundamentalist morality platform, are you?

"Let's go whalin" Palin is, and I can smell the hypocrisy from here.
I think you need to back that up. Morality yes, but "restrictive fundamentalist" is a non sequitur.

Restrictive as in abstinence only education and fighting to restrict abortions to the point where you state that no woman should ever have any choice is pretty fucking restrictive.

Now this is just what i've heard in three hours, so i might be missing something.

brencat

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2007
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield
I'm not really into most of this sheit (i'm not even American) but it's my understanding that her mother advocates abstinence only education.

This is a shining example of the result of such education, now her 17 year old daughter is going to get married to this guy.
Her mother can advocate all she wants. Do teens always do what their parents tell them? Did you?? My parents never told me jack sh*t. Believe it or not, it was 7th and 8th grade sex-ed that scared the sh*t out of me -- use a condom boys...or else!

And if you're a girl and want to fool around, you tell the guy...use a condom or use your left hand. Maybe I was just lucky I went to a decent public school system. Don't suppose they teach it quite this way in Catholic or private schools.

Jun 26, 2007

1. No sex

2. No condoms

=

Huh. Im religious, and I fall on the right and I dont agree with these statements.

Odd.

Unless you represent the average, then it may not apply to you. But their abstinence and anti-condom policy is downright scary in the global village we live in. Incredibly irresponsible as well.

I actually agree with your contention, but you need to grow up and stop having politicians as heroes, even IF Obama is elected, nothing big will change, NO THING. If he didn't already show you this by voting for something he has previously claimed was a deciet of the American people and thereby rendering every one inolved unaccountable for the unlawful actions then i don't know what to tell you.

In fact, hasn't Obama publicly stated he's for abstinence only education and against abortion?

And yes, before someone replies about the UK, i hated Blair and i hate Brown with a vengance, this doesn't stop me in the least from having opinions of my own on issues i AM involved in in some way.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

1. No sex

2. No condoms

=

Odd.

Hyperbole is de rigueur

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

1. No sex

2. No condoms

=

Odd.

I actually agree with your contention, but you need to grow up and stop having politicians as heroes, even IF Obama is elected, nothing big will change, NO THING. If he didn't already show you this by voting for something he has previously claimed was a deciet of the American people and thereby rendering every one inolved unaccountable for the unlawful actions then i don't know what to tell you.

In fact, hasn't Obama publicly stated he's for abstinence only education and against abortion?

And yes, before someone replies about the UK, i hated Blair and i hate Brown with a vengance, this doesn't stop me in the least from having opinions of my own on issues i AM involved in in some way.

When did I say he was my hero? And where do you see me talking about Obama? I'm talking common sense, something the religious right lacks. If I have a daughter, I'll sit her do everything I can to let her know the dangers of sex. I may even take her to a morgue, Planned Parenthood shelter, anti-abortion clinic, public hospital, and infectious disease center at the local university. These will instill in her that there is more to sex than pleasure.

Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: brencat
I'm not really into most of this sheit (i'm not even American) but it's my understanding that her mother advocates abstinence only education.

This is a shining example of the result of such education, now her 17 year old daughter is going to get married to this guy.
Her mother can advocate all she wants. Do teens always do what their parents tell them? Did you?? My parents never told me jack sh*t. Believe it or not, it was 7th and 8th grade sex-ed that scared the sh*t out of me -- use a condom boys...or else!

And if you're a girl and want to fool around, you tell the guy...use a condom or use your left hand. Maybe I was just lucky I went to a decent public school system. Don't suppose they teach it quite this way in Catholic or private schools.

Son, are you in the backwards lands of the twilight zone or something?

You preaching to the choir, abstinence only education, as Palin has taught and wants to be what is taught DOES NOT WORK.

The point i am making is that abstinence only, whether it's the promise rings, Zimbabwe with the Catholics (or Tchad which is actually where i was supposed to be now) or the US teen children, it DOES NOT WORK.

There are laws in England, where i am from, that require the teachings of this in even Catholic schools, however, i'd never send my kids to one anyway, just on general principle.

Jun 26, 2007

1. No sex

2. No condoms

=

Odd.

When did I say he was my hero? And where do you see me talking about Obama? I'm talking common sense, something the religious right lacks. If I have a daughter, I'll sit her do everything I can to let her know the dangers of sex. I may even take her to a morgue, Planned Parenthood shelter, anti-abortion clinic, public hospital, and infectious disease center at the local university. These will instill in her that there is more to sex than pleasure.

Son, i've seen enough of your rants to know that you don't want anything higher in this life than you want the opportunity to lick Obamas balls, we've already had this discussion, lets not have it again.

Common sense is bullshit when you're a teenager, when you grow old enough to become one, you'll know that, son.

You don't need to do all that with your children, you don't want to scare them, teenage sex is a great thing as long as they take care.

I've given them condoms (oh what a horrible man i am, giving my daughter condoms) and they talk to me about sex (his own daughter, must be a pedophile, call the FBI!).

When you have children, a long long time from now, you won't be doing any of that, you'll probably do absolutely nothing, because that is what kind of a man YOU are, big mouth and that is IT.

Not every man is like you, remember that.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
if your daughter isn't a pinhead due to poor upbringing, she's a pinhead due to genetics

ZING

brencat

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2007
You preaching to the choir, abstinence only education, as Palin has taught and wants to be what is taught DOES NOT WORK.

The point i am making is that abstinence only, whether it's the promise rings, Zimbabwe with the Catholics (or Tchad which is actually where i was supposed to be now) or the US teen children, it DOES NOT WORK.
Sorry John. Perhaps you misunderstood me because I quoted you but I wasn't trying to point out any flaws in your reasoning. The only thing I really wanted to say was that people need to teach their kids common sense at a very early age. And kids need to be self aware enough and confident enough (yes, even at 15, 16, etc) to recognize B.S. when they come across it -- including "condoms are evil" nonsense and other stupid shit your parents or the church may tell you. Like I said, my parents didn't tell me squat yet I had the common sense and intelligence to bag it when I got a steady gf in high school. Dunno, maybe I'm expecting too much of kids, but seriously people need to wake up and get smarter. Life isn't getting any easier.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I just heard something earlier today at a back-to-school training seminar; it was phrased this way:

In addition to teaching the 3 R's, teachers are now charged with teaching the 3 I's. You are NOT invincible, you are NOT immortal, and you are NOT infertile. Too few youth seem to really understand these facts.

Jun 27, 2005

1. No sex

2. No condoms

=

:laugh:

You must have gone elbow deep to pull that one out of your ass...

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
WTH is Palin doing trying to coerce her daughter into a young marriage? Is this the Third World where we condone child brides? A 17 year old mother is not responsible because she gets married. No, getting married at that ripe young age will only be the second biggest mistake of her young life. Then will come divorce, a string of failed relationships, an std here or there, another two or three marriages. No, marriage at her age is a stupid decision.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
umm Mad Palin married her high school sweet heart and is still married today.
I worked with a girl who started dating her husband when she was 15!!! and they are still together with 4 kids today and very happy.

It happens.

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Sarah Palin eloped with her high-school boyfriend, Todd Palin, on August 29, 1988, when she was 24 years old. Hardly the parallel.

DonaldC

Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: MadRat
WTH is Palin doing trying to coerce her daughter into a young marriage? Is this the Third World where we condone child brides? A 17 year old mother is not responsible because she gets married. No, getting married at that ripe young age will only be the second biggest mistake of her young life. Then will come divorce, a string of failed relationships, an std here or there, another two or three marriages. No, marriage at her age is a stupid decision.

Yep, forcing the two kids to marry really makes a bad situation worse.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

1. No sex

2. No condoms

=

Odd.

Son, i've seen enough of your rants to know that you don't want anything higher in this life than you want the opportunity to lick Obamas balls, we've already had this discussion, lets not have it again.

Common sense is bullshit when you're a teenager, when you grow old enough to become one, you'll know that, son.

You don't need to do all that with your children, you don't want to scare them, teenage sex is a great thing as long as they take care.

I've given them condoms (oh what a horrible man i am, giving my daughter condoms) and they talk to me about sex (his own daughter, must be a pedophile, call the FBI!).

When you have children, a long long time from now, you won't be doing any of that, you'll probably do absolutely nothing, because that is what kind of a man YOU are, big mouth and that is IT.

Not every man is like you, remember that.

lol. what happened to your "Britannia will never be slaves" sig? You're slow but I can see you've realized that your country is shit. And don't tell me what I will or won't do cause you have little idea of who I am. I will do these things so they can realize the potential outcomes of their actions. As for you, puss, by the time you return to your country it'll be overrun by muslim fanatics so that is punishment enough.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
What tact do you think O'Reilly et al would take if lets say Mr Biden's 16 year old daughter* got pregnant?

*If he had one...

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
umm Mad Palin married her high school sweet heart and is still married today.
I worked with a girl who started dating her husband when she was 15!!! and they are still together with 4 kids today and very happy.

It happens.

It happens, but is unlikely. with half the marriages ending in divorce, being rushed in to one is not a good idea. I was in the same situation,at 22, got married and we are now divorced. Do you think all accidental pregnancies should end in marriage? Let her finish growing up, go to college if she wants, and then if it's what she wants and he is still interested, get married. This almost sounds like a shotgun wedding, get married or else. If they do go though with it, chances are they will split within 10 years. and IF McCain does win, which I doubt, I would lay even money that they split before the first term is up.

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000

1. No sex

2. No condoms

=

Odd.

"Anti-condom policy"? C'mon - try to have a little bit of integrity in your statements. Not wanting schools to distribute condoms to teenagers is not an "anti-condom policy".

Edit: To get back to the topic, from the little I've seen, O'Reilly is like every other talk show host - he's a blowhard that likes to get a rise out of people so his ratings go up.