Predictions for Black Friday?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Will there still be quarantine rules in effect?
Will stores break the law to keep open and boost sales and endanger employees?
Will online sales surge in place of retail?
Will designer and hi-tech masks dominate?
Will Donald lose the election and cancel Christmas out of spite?
Discuss.

Reactions: eddnew

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Just 100 days until Black Friday... something tells me that most of the deals will be online this year. Less gate crashing, more server crashing :)

Reactions: eddnew

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
Just 100 days until Black Friday... something tells me that most of the deals will be online this year. Less gate crashing, more server crashing :)
I've been almost exclusively online for the last 10 years (or more). The exceptions would be large appliances like a 65" TV or fridge (anything that requires multiple people) - mainly because the shop removes the old one if I choose.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Main issue could be logistical, production and shipping time for cheap items from China. Big online players will have a strong edge by knowing accurate time lines for products.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Will be interesting to see what happens. If they have regular in store black friday and don't switch it up like do online only or what not, it's going to be a mess I think. Even if the stores limit number of people and do everything to ensure precautions, people are just going to trample their way in past the door staff and disobey all the guidelines anyway and there will be all the fighting and stuff like usual.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Will be interesting to see what happens. If they have regular in store black friday and don't switch it up like do online only or what not, it's going to be a mess I think. Even if the stores limit number of people and do everything to ensure precautions, people are just going to trample their way in past the door staff and disobey all the guidelines anyway and there will be all the fighting and stuff like usual.
people say the riots / protests didnt cause any virus levels to raise, then surely there will be zero issues with black friday sales with hordes of people. hell maybe they will all riot on that day, if its a protest then you dont have to follow social distancing :p for me i just work that day and not worry about silly items that i must wait in line to buy, if its online and delivered to my house im down but i think it was 10+ years ago that i participated in a blackfriday rush and waited in some long line to buy a tv.

Presidents day sale is what i like since they have the new models, i always score a good deal on something nice.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
A lot of the stores that used to hope for Black Friday to make them profitable for the year, are closed forever. Anybody still around could be desperate.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Never trust CNN, all spin, no information.

Home Depot said it is opting not to have a big one-day sale in stores. Instead, the home improvement retailer will host its Black Friday sales throughout the holiday season both in stores and online.

“Savings will start in early November and last through December, both in-store and on homedepot.com,” the company said on its website. “Say goodbye to one day of frenzied shopping and enjoy Black Friday savings all season long without the stress and crowds.

Home Depot added that it will remain closed on Thanksgiving like in years past. A number of retailers that are typically open on Thanksgiving are also opting to close for the holiday.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Never trust CNN, all spin, no information.
Thats a lie but you go ahead and believe all the crap you've been spoonfed your entire life.

anyway,

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
clubber_lang_background_by_kingofank.jpg

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
I think this is going to be the most expensive holiday shopping season for me in years. I need new everything.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Not me, this will strictly be opportunity buying. What remains to be seen is if there will be any really good deals.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I think this is going to be the most expensive holiday shopping season for me in years. I need new everything.
Really?

I dont NEED anything, but if I was sure I would be staying where I am (and not moving in the spring) I'd probably want a nice 4k projector and surround system.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
Really?

I dont NEED anything, but if I was sure I would be staying where I am (and not moving in the spring) I'd probably want a nice 4k projector and surround system.
Homewares, clothes, equipment. That sort of thing. I bought a new blender a while back I like. I still kept the old one. It seemed such a waste to donate it when I could keep it for blending hot soups.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Well, judging from what happened yesterday with the PS5 preorders, an all-online Black Friday is going to suck.

I didn't see one seller whose website didn't crash at some point. And this was for one product...

Be interesting to see if the same thing happens with Microsoft's new X-Box pre-orders on the 22nd.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Toys to play with at home are going to sell like crazy until the lock down ends. Toys for outside may stink royally, and get cheap.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
It'll be the worst BF ever. The deals in general this year have been horrible. Less production, less stock. Sometimes more demand. All of this in a time when more people are at home with nothing to do, big crowds are limited and bots have never been more advanced or accessible. I fully expect BF to be nearly all online only with bots scooping up everything while you're busy refreshing a locked up website.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
It might be the "end of Black Friday" (as we know it), as well. Traditional Retailers, saw BF as when their sales for the year were "in the black" (hence the name).

But if you listen to some of Steve's videos from GamersNexus on YT, you'll hear him talk about sales of PC components during the lockdowns and "human malware", causing sales patterns that were decidedly outside the normal. Late spring / early summer, traditionally slow times for the PC industry, and sales of certain components were higher than Oct-Nov sales from the prior year or so. It was and is really unprecedented.

So therefore, maybe retailers won't "need" BF anymore, anyways. Maybe it will cease to effectively be a real thing.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
BM that really need a BF are already dead, how the big boys online deal though remains to be seen.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
According to Gotta Deal, it sounds like Target and Walmart are going to be spreading out their "Black Friday" deals throughout the entire month of November, and many of the deals are going to be available online and in-store.

It sounds like an excuse to start the "holiday" shopping season even earlier this year, just to see if they can squeeze a few more bucks out of people stuck at home. You can't even really call it Christmas shopping anymore when the sales start three weeks before Thanksgiving :)