Prediction, I think Donald Trump will resign or refuse a second term

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Something has changed with Donald Trump lately.
It's probably due to several issues, not just one.
For one, most of what he wanted to do has failed.
No wall other than his imaginary wall, most of his administration has abandoned him or let him down, his choices are all losers, he has met the queen so that fun has gone out of it. And I don't think meeting the queen or other high profile world leaders is really much fun for someone like Donald Trump.
Trump believes he is the most high profile figurehead of all time so why would meeting the queen or any other world leader tickle his fancy?
Donald Trump looks like he is getting bored, really bored. He realizes playing president isn't all its made up to be especially in a democracy. Maybe in a dictatorship, but certainly not in a free democracy.
Trump has so many lies that even Trump is starting not to believe his own lies.
Like in that I Love Lucy episode where Lucy begins telling Ricky this fantastic lie, then stops mid sentence. And Ricky asked "whats the matter" and Lucy replies "even I don't believe it".

Donald really doesn't need this. Being president, that is.
The facts are beginning to catch up, the facts are beginning to take over, people are on to Trump and his three ring circus isn't much fun anymore yet alone entertaining.
Trump has Fox News and Sean Hannity and his family and his base attending his rallies, but for Donald those rally faces are getting old. And Fox spews its nonsense but who really listens anymore? Trump is beginning to realize this, and realize after all is said and done none of the spin really matters.
Fox is like Trump's mother. And what mother does not love her son even if he is a murderous criminal? As with mom, Trump can always count on the love from Hannity and Fox News.
But doesn't matter if Sean Hannity and Fox news think Donald Trump is the best thing since sliced bread.
Its like someone with no friends and having to hire temps to attend their birthday party.
It's a birthday party of friends bought and paid for, but who is fooling who?

Donald Trump is just unstable enough, so easily bored enough to realize he has better things to do besides playing president.
Trump has tapped out this presidency thing about as much as he can.
Now.... Trump has a new worry facing him, the fact he could lose in 2020. And that is something Donald Trump does not want to face or risk.
Trump will look around and realize he has already achieved his goal of getting elected. To be president. Repeating that a second time takes all the fun out of it, especially compared to the first time. That adrenaline rush can't be repeated, and Donald now realizes that.
And.... he must wonder is it even worth it?
The border thing failed, everyone is pissed at the way Trump treated and caged immigrant children.
Nancy Pelosi has become his worst enemy and obviously his equal of an enemy.
Yep, it's just not working out.
Trump must wonder, is it worth the energy to desire a send term when his first term has been such a failure?
Will anything really change in a second term?
Trump has become bored and ready to move on to other excitement beyond politics.
And remember his Donald Trump Jet?
No doubt Donald dearly misses flying on his TRUMP jet, and misses his many TRUMP estates scattered around the world.
There he is, stuck in some Washington DC public housing timeshare. He can not possibly enjoy that.

Naw, I think Donald Trump rather get out while he still can and with a little dignity.
He wanted it, he got it, and now its time to move on.
Trump isn't so sure lightening will strike twice. That he will win a second term. That the fear of losing followed by the humiliation of losing is just not worth the risk. He's bored, he's still rich, and he simply doesn't need the political aggravation any more.
I think he'll quit. Or think of an excuse to pull out.
Maybe he'll use the same excuse he used to avoid the Vietnam draft?
Trump feeling his age might have a lot to do with it.
After all, it's been a long hard four years for this loser....

Last edited:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I feel like that could be a possibility if Team Treason is subjected to a proper impeachment investigation, but he will want a deal to avoid prosecution. My gut tells me he'll make headway with republicans help, but ultimately SDNY is going to tell him to get fucked. And then proceed to facilitate it.

Republicans are going to be dealing with Team Treason crimes for years to come. Sad.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
He's tired. His narcissistic ego has been satisfied for now. He has probably already told his GOP handlers/overloads that he wants out. They are looking for a replacement that they can control.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I think the only way he would ever consider it is as part of an immunity deal.

I think it's important to appreciate that Trump faces a non-trivial threat of criminal indictment if he's no longer the president and I think he is acutely aware of this. Unless that threat is removed I think not only will he not resign, he will resort to extraordinary measures to stay in office.

Reactions: Uhtrinity

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
I doubt it and even if so it's all GOP politicians that we need to worry about now. The rules have forever changed.

What THEY have done is worse than just Trump being Trump. They had one job to do and failed. The history books will eviscerate them.

Reactions: Burpo and dank69

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I suspect he'll only resign or change his mind if the public is presented with particularly damning evidence of his crimes or polls show him so unlikely to win in 2020 that he resigns to pretend he wouldn't have lost.

And even then, I'm not so sure. Remember, it's increasingly likely that Trump will face state-level charges the millisecond he's out of office, and there's a good chance those charges will stick. If he loses or declines a second term, he's likely going to prison that much sooner. And I doubt he'll get an immunity deal.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
No way.
Well...
If his doc has given him a death sentence AND his lawyers are telling him they can hold off the law until he has croaked .. then yea.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
He can’t leave early—as soon as he’s out of office he’s fair game for criminal indictments. He needs to hold onto executive privilege as long as possible—I’m sure his lawyers have explained this to him.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
You guys clearly underestimate Trump and his base.. he will be POTUS for Life because Obama!

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
You guys clearly underestimate Trump and his base.. he will be POTUS for Life because Obama!

He's been talking about a third term w/o winning a second. The notion he'll resign is absurd.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Reps are willing to keep Trump and as there's no plan to put pressure on Trump in any substantial way I'd give him a 50/50 shot at reelection. There's no motivation for him not to.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
He HAS to win a second term in order to run out the clock on the statute of limitations on the Cohen charges (Individual 1). No way does he resign.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
A whole bag of indictment hammers will drop the day he's out. He's only out with immunity from multiple agencies, which will never happen.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
I think the only way he would ever consider it is as part of an immunity deal.

I think it's important to appreciate that Trump faces a non-trivial threat of criminal indictment if he's no longer the president and I think he is acutely aware of this. Unless that threat is removed I think not only will he not resign, he will resort to extraordinary measures to stay in office.

No he doesn’t, as I’ve said before once you reach a certain level you’re untouchable. Hillary reaches that level. As did Trump. You can keep wishful thinking all you want but that’s the reality.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
No he doesn’t, as I’ve said before once you reach a certain level you’re untouchable. Hillary reaches that level. As did Trump. You can keep wishful thinking all you want but that’s the reality.
Err...didn't they already investigate Hillary and found there was not enough to prosecute?
Whereas with Trump the only reason he has not been prosecuted is because some people think the prez is immune while in office?

Reactions: umbrella39

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Okay, whatever you need to tell yourself.

Also, the reason why Clinton wasn't charged with any crimes is common sense - there were no crimes to be charged. Everyone except for the ultra right accepts this. With Trump, well, we've already got him on a half dozen or so felonies from the Mueller report, on campaign finance felonies from Cohen's plea, etc, etc. It's genuinely baffling to me that this article of faith continues on the right that the only reason Hillary Clinton hasn't been charged with crimes is that she's being protected by some mysterious cabal as opposed to the fact that the government would lose.

I think we both agree that if Trump loses in 2020 he will pardon himself before leaving office (or have Pence do it), an odd thing for someone with no threat of criminal indictment. Even then he isn't safe though because if I were the AG and wanted to become the next New York State governor the #1 thing I would want to do is put Trump in prison and I bet there's plenty of cases to be made against him.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Err...didn't they already investigate Hillary and found there was not enough to prosecute?
Whereas with Trump the only reason he has not been prosecuted is because some people think the prez is immune while in office?

The argument is that because she's politically powerful she's immune from indictment. This theory continues to be held by the extreme right despite the fact that no one has ever been able to produce credible evidence of a crime on her part that would come even remotely close to meeting the standard of proof necessary to convict.

This conspiracy theory has the benefit of being 100% unfalsifiable. The fact that she's not indicted never means she's not guilty, it just means the conspiracy goes that much deeper. (apparently even into the Trump administration!)

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Also, the reason why Clinton wasn't charged with any crimes is common sense - there were no crimes to be charged.

Lol the only reason Hillary got off was the weasel word of "intent". She’s untouchable. So is Trump. When in ten years he’s never been been charged I think some of y’all will still be saying any day now...

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Lol the only reason Hillary got off was the weasel word of "intent". She’s untouchable.

Of course by 'weasel word' you mean one of the foundational principles of the common law system our country operates on, dating back centuries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mens_rea

According to you the reason she's untouchable is she lacked intent, meaning she literally did not commit the crime. 'The only reason she wasn't charged is she didn't do it!' is a weird argument to make.

So is Trump. When in ten years he’s never been been charged I think some of y’all will still be saying any day now...

I guess we'll see!

Reactions: umbrella39

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I wish it were true, but I don't think so.

Trump is an attention whore. Whatever gets him the most attention is what he'll do. Doesn't have to be consistent, because he's incapable of consistency. Obfuscation will continue. Republicans want power at any cost, including so-whating their moral ground, paltry as it is. Hypocrisy will be served, warmed over. They'll try anything to hang onto any of the three branches of federal government, including pushing forth the incumbent. Most of them won't even bother to hold their nose, at least not in public.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Lol the only reason Hillary got off was the weasel word of "intent". She’s untouchable. So is Trump. When in ten years he’s never been been charged I think some of y’all will still be saying any day now...
You cant possibly be this stupid.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Bothsides!+Hillary! It's a twofer!