Pre Order the HTC Vive on the 29th for $799!?!?!

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
Vive does look better than the Occulus. I'm itching to pre-order but will hold off until the dust settles.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Fantastic contraption and job simulator both look incredibly stupid. Once the novelty wears off, you are screwed. I would actually consider buying this thing because I like the idea of being able to walk around and interact, but without any good games, then I think it will fall flat.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
I totally agree about the games they include, they do look stupid, but Im hoping that because its in conjunction with steam, it will be compatible with more of the steam games then the rift will be, which is why it will be the one I will be getting. That and the fact I can walk around with it in my room, I do like that option.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
considering the next iteration of Call of Duty will cost $150-$200 for the whole experience, I find $799 to be a bargain!

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I agree that this device is more appealing because it is related and integrated with steam. It makes me feel more confident about the product. Walking around sounds great as well. If I jump on the VR wagon, it will be with this thing for sure. I just want to see some interesting and exciting games to go with it. It doesn't even have to be games, it can just be interesting interactive software of some kind. I duno. That painting thing sounds kind of cool I guess. Draw a loop in the air and walk through it and stuff. That's pretty damn cool.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
I really want to day one buy one of the headsets, but I think I'm going to withold my giddiness for a bit and wait to see what professional reviewers say in head to head (hardey har) comparison

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
I really want to day one buy one of the headsets, but I think I'm going to withold my giddiness for a bit and wait to see what professional reviewers say in head to head (hardey har) comparison

By that time, they will be double the price. The way I see it, really, is I can get it for $800 now, then when they come out, it will be double, if it sucks, Ill be able to get my money back, if not more...

Last edited:

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
Why would the price double after release? That doesn't make any sense. Are you talking scalpers on eBay? I'd just wait for stock to replenish from the manufacturers

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
well maybe not double, but its more then likely to go up once people really start talking about it should it take off. I see the preorder price as low, to get people to buy it now at a low introductory offer before it goes to its "normal" price of ****, at which, if I feel it sucks, I should be able to get my money back, or at least close to it.

Unoid

Dec 20, 2012
this can still be used with non moving/interactive games that have 3d, like elite dangerous, TF2, and others.

Hoover Junkers looks like a real fun game that will release at the same time built only for the PRE.

edit: Pre should be VIVE

Last edited:

topmounter

Aug 3, 2010
I'll definitely be interested to read the reviews, but I'm in no rush to jump on the first iteration bandwagon.

cyclohexane

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2005
Lol, I'll rather get the Vive 4.0 in 2021, let them work out the bugs.
Got plenty of things to keep me busy

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Just so people are aware, the Rift is supported in SteamVR. Valve doesn't discriminate. All they want to do is sell software. It's a common misconception that only the Vive will support steam. The only exception is a handful of games designed for the motion controllers, but at this stage they are mostly glorified tech demos (not necessarily bad, just temper your expectations). It will be a while before developers have a larger budget (and the time) to make games that fully take advantage of those controllers since they're so new. Oculus' motion controllers (Touch) are an optional purchase coming out in the second half of the year. Total price of Rift + Touch will probably be the same as Vive.

Hard to go wrong with either device, but from an ergonomics standpoint the Rift looks superior, and it also has a high quality integrated audio solution (Vive ships with some throwaway earbuds). Supposedly it's just like putting on a baseball cap with almost no weight (it's even covered in a fabric so it can breathe).

I am not 100% decided on which one though... I did get a rift order in for the early shipments, but I can cancel that if I go Vive. They don't charge til it ships. I figure if it doesn't work out I make a profit on eBay anyway. ;)

Last edited:

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
I totally agree about the games they include, they do look stupid, but Im hoping that because its in conjunction with steam, it will be compatible with more of the steam games then the rift will be, which is why it will be the one I will be getting. That and the fact I can walk around with it in my room, I do like that option.

At least when N64 came out the two games it had were good to amazing

Unoid

Dec 20, 2012
Just so people are aware, the Rift is supported in SteamVR. Valve doesn't discriminate. All they want to do is sell software. It's a common misconception that only the Vive will support steam. The only exception is a handful of games designed for the motion controllers, but at this stage they are mostly glorified tech demos (not necessarily bad, just temper your expectations). It will be a while before developers have a larger budget (and the time) to make games that fully take advantage of those controllers since they're so new. Oculus' motion controllers (Touch) are an optional purchase coming out in the second half of the year. Total price of Rift + Touch will probably be the same as Vive.

Hard to go wrong with either device, but from an ergonomics standpoint the Rift looks superior, and it also has a high quality integrated audio solution (Vive ships with some throwaway earbuds). Supposedly it's just like putting on a baseball cap with almost no weight (it's even covered in a fabric so it can breathe).

I am not 100% decided on which one though... I did get a rift order in for the early shipments, but I can cancel that if I go Vive. They don't charge til it ships. I figure if it doesn't work out I make a profit on eBay anyway. ;)

see my post, Hoover Junkers, it makes great use of the controllers. Best I've seen.