Praying to GOD for selfish things

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Background:
You believe in god. You truely think he's the Lord. You're devout.

But you also think he's there for you for whatever you need.

So what's wrong w/asking for stuff like he's the Djinni from Aladin's lamp?

Apr 17, 2003
Originally posted by: JEDI
Background:
You believe in god. You truely think he's the Lord. You're devout.

But you also think he's there for you for whatever you need.

So what's wrong w/asking for stuff like he's the Djinni from Aladin's lamp?

I dont see anything wrong with that...

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Nothing's "wrong with it" per se. It's up to god to fullfill it or not.

Personally, I am only confident of the existence of god, not his nature, so if I get desperate enough to pray, I'll just pray for anything and everything and hope for the best.

<--------------Deist

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
You can ask for whatever you want (assuming it's not malicious ) and are encouraged to, the flip side is, god gives you what you need/opportunities to have what you want, he doesn't hand them out on a silver platter. That is my understanding from being raised a catholic. I still go to church 90% of sundays but I wouldn't call myself 'devout'.

MyThirdEye

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Everything happens for a reason. Praying to God asking for "stuff" (that job, that girl, whatever) is wrong.

God has a plan for everything, you should pray that you choose what leads in the path of Christ.

My moms friend had two kids, 14 and 16. On the way home from cleaning up a church event, they got hit by a drunk driver. Both teens died, and the mother was critically injured. She still, to this day, prays to God thanking him that she knew for a fact that her kids were going to be in Heaven. They accepted Christ as their personal Savior and Lord. They had a personal relationship at such a young age.

Just thought I would share that story, trying to give you a better idea of what I think praying is all about.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Originally posted by: TallBill
One problem, gods dont exist.

I thought that there were no Atheists in foxholes! I remember Dan Rather saying so a few years ago, therefore it must be true :)

NanoStuff

Banned
Mar 23, 2006
Originally posted by: amjohns5
On the way home from cleaning up a church event, they got hit by a drunk driver. Both teens died, and the mother was critically injured.

If their mother wasn't such an ignorant religious fuckup, they would have never gone to church and still be alive. Think about that while you pray to your imaginary friend tonight.

jhayx7

Platinum Member
Oct 1, 2005
Originally posted by: NanoStuff
On the way home from cleaning up a church event, they got hit by a drunk driver. Both teens died, and the mother was critically injured.

If their mother wasn't such an ignorant religious fuckup, they would have never gone to church and still be alive. Think about that while you pray to your imaginary friend tonight.

Oh snap!

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003

oh no you di'int

thecrecarc

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2004
Originally posted by: jhayx7

Oh snap!

How about this: i shoot you, and then i pray to god thanking him because i know youll be in heaven? its a win win situation!

invidia

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2006
I have killed and destroyed 9 people of sin in your name, O Holy Father. Please let me go free as an innocent man, for I only serve and protect the Lord in his name and honor.

Allow me to be innocent of these 9 first degree murder charges.

thecrecarc

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2004
Originally posted by: invidia
I have killed and destroyed 9 people of sin in your name, O Holy Father. Please let me go free as an innocent man, for I only serve and protect the Lord in his name and honor.

Allow me to be innocent of these 9 first degree murder charges.

:thumbsup: :D

jhayx7

Platinum Member
Oct 1, 2005
Originally posted by: thecrecarc

Oh snap!

How about this: i shoot you, and then i pray to god thanking him because i know youll be in heaven? its a win win situation!

One flaw in that logic, I won't be going to the pearly gates. :D

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Everything happens for a reason. Praying to God asking for "stuff" (that job, that girl, whatever) is wrong.

God has a plan for everything, you should pray that you choose what leads in the path of Christ.

My moms friend had two kids, 14 and 16. On the way home from cleaning up a church event, they got hit by a drunk driver. Both teens died, and the mother was critically injured. She still, to this day, prays to God thanking him that she knew for a fact that her kids were going to be in Heaven. They accepted Christ as their personal Savior and Lord. They had a personal relationship at such a young age.

Just thought I would share that story, trying to give you a better idea of what I think praying is all about.
So I should also start praying that God kindly start randomly killing as many people as deitically possible. The sooner they get to Heaven, the better, right? Quit wasting time in this mortal realm of suffering, and get there where the good livin's at!
Why should murder be a crime? It's part of God's plan. Keep the murders out there so they can keep sending people to the grand afterlife. And don't give me that "oh but murderers have free will" stuff. God knows everything, meaning that before Creation, God knew exactly the outcome of every decision every single human would ever make, ever. So that murderer killing many many people was part of God's loving, beautiful plan.

Link

thecrecarc

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2004
Originally posted by: thecrecarc

Oh snap!

Was talking about amjohns5 :)

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
If heaven is so great, why not go there now? I'm just kidding, but did you expect much better from ATOT?

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000
Jerry Yang was doing this at the final table of the World Series of Poker main event last night.

I found it very funny that his belief was that God would assist him in sucking out. "Thank you God for that 8 of clubs on the turn! Praise his name!"

:D

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
I think, if you want a serious response, God wants us to face responsibility of our own problems, not have him bail our ass out. He'll help you through it, if you pray to him. God is Lord, not a conjurer. God will take you care of you, but that's not always what we think of it as.
Jesus said: "Look at the birds in the sky and the bees at their flowers--are they not properly cared for? They have shelter, and in the same way, God will take care of you." (of course, not being a "bible thumper" I have no idea what chaper:verse)

So yeah, pray for God to take care of you, not to conjure things for you, because he's the Creator, not a summoner or magician.

NiteWulf

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2003
Originally posted by: James 4:3
Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may spend it in your pleasures
He doesn't want us to just ask for whatever makes us happy, because then we wouldn't be solving our own problems and we would draw away from God, being pleased in the things we have received instead of service to him.

Asking for productive things or help in difficult times will get us something, but asking for things that only serve our pleasures will get us nothing

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
Zzz. Religions fanatics and their preaching gets so old. I'm not Atheist, I'm moderate. :shocked:

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Meh, good thing happens: god did it. Bad thing happens: he works in mysterious ways. What else is new.