Prayer thread. For flipping Manafort

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
He isn't going to flip. I don't think Mueller needs him and won't offer him a deal. He's going to the pokey for the rest of his miserable life.

Grumpycatgood.jpg

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Maybe maybe maybe... I am not giving up on the off chance that that break was about a plea deal.. if it was they'll hash it out over the weekend.. monday we will know.. Or by action-reaction by Trumps tantrum tweets..

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Maybe maybe maybe... I am not giving up on the off chance that that break was about a plea deal.. if it was they'll hash it out over the weekend.. monday we will know.. Or by action-reaction by Trumps tantrum tweets..

I don't see him doing time if Trump has a say although whatever money he has is going to be seriously depleted. States often have laws that run more or less in parallel with federal so yeah a state might go after him but will they want to bother?

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Dont spoil my dreams! .. Anyway it is all chipping away at that core... eventually something WILL fall... lets just hope its not democracy.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Manafort is a shrewd gambler. The route to the least jail time possible is to STFU & hold out for an end of term pardon. it's not the most certain, however. When you're 70 & the prosecution offers 10-15 years to roll over it's not a whole lot different than going down for 50 years so he'll take the gamble.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I don't see him doing time if Trump has a say although whatever money he has is going to be seriously depleted. States often have laws that run more or less in parallel with federal so yeah a state might go after him but will they want to bother?

Maybe. Trump could pardon him for the federal crimes, but not any state crimes.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Maybe. Trump could pardon him for the federal crimes, but not any state crimes.

Still, Jhhnn has a good point. At 70 a deal for 10 years isn't much different than getting 50 years since it's Fed time. At least state time, in most states, he won't even have to do half and that is by the time they get around to sending him to jail. Worst case if he gets off or gets pardoned he has a good 2 more years before a state throws him back in. Best case they don't even try or his lawyers can drag it out for even longer. Either way, unless they are offering a deal of virtually no jail time he is better off just waiting for a pardon.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I figure Manafort has resigned himself to being locked up until after the 2020 election, at the least. It's unlikely he'll get off or be released on an appeal bond. Win or lose, Trump can pardon him either way. The way to get there is to maintain the code of Omerta.

That's his best & only play. He miscalculated badly in violating the terms of his bail. Otherwise he might well have stayed out of jail leading up to a pardon or commutation. If you gotta go down anyway it's way better on the inside if you were a stand up guy on the outside. There are a variety of ways to reach out to guys on the inside through white supremacy groups & even the Russian mob so that he'll be sure to have friends after he gets there. Or entirely the opposite should he decide to rat. A guy on the inside will look out for you if he knows your friends helped out his family.

Last edited:

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I don't think the trial delay had anything to do with a possible plea deal. This judge is the hardnosed type who has consistently pushed the trial forward. I'm sure his attitude would be "you should have discussed settlement before, not during trial time" and unless they are 99% of the way to a deal and some extraneous factor (outside of the Justice Dept and the defense) it holding it up no way he would stop the trial.

My guess is something happened with the jury-like some juror watching TV about the case, discussing it with someone, etc. Alternatively it could be about a potential mistrial motion by the government due to the judge's now admitted multiple mistakes and his clear bias against the government demonstrated in front of the jury.

Whatever the problem it is probably pretty serious since the judge couldn't solve it Friday. Monday will be interesting.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
I don't think the trial delay had anything to do with a possible plea deal. This judge is the hardnosed type who has consistently pushed the trial forward. I'm sure his attitude would be "you should have discussed settlement before, not during trial time" and unless they are 99% of the way to a deal and some extraneous factor (outside of the Justice Dept and the defense) it holding it up no way he would stop the trial.

My guess is something happened with the jury-like some juror watching TV about the case, discussing it with someone, etc. Alternatively it could be about a potential mistrial motion by the government due to the judge's now admitted multiple mistakes and his clear bias against the government demonstrated in front of the jury.

Whatever the problem it is probably pretty serious since the judge couldn't solve it Friday. Monday will be interesting.

My understanding is that the delay was centered around the issue of what Rick Gates told investigators regarding an active investigation and not this trial. It sure sounds like the issue has to do with someone who hasn't been indicted yet, could be Roger Stone or a trump, we just don't know.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
My understanding is that the delay was centered around the issue of what Rick Gates told investigators regarding an active investigation and not this trial. It sure sounds like the issue has to do with someone who hasn't been indicted yet, could be Roger Stone or a trump, we just don't know.

That's how I understand it. The defense is attempting to tease information peripheral to the trial out of the prosecution. Meanwhile, Manafort's chances of acquittal are slim to none & this trial is just a prelude to the main event in September.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000

Could be. This portion of the trial was out of public hearing and the transcript is under seal. Frankly any opinions you hear are speculation. If any of the participating lawyers leaked the info that would be a career killer and probable disbarment, maybe even more.

Jul 9, 2009
Is it OK if I pray for Supreme Court Judge R.B. Ginsburg in this thread? At her age and health she needs all the help she can get.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
Could be. This portion of the trial was out of public hearing and the transcript is under seal. Frankly any opinions you hear are speculation. If any of the participating lawyers leaked the info that would be a career killer and probable disbarment, maybe even more.

one can make a reasonable guess based on the fact of what occurred immediately before the sidebar...

"The judge at the trial of ex-Trump campaign chief Paul Manafort has sealed a discussion with lawyers that ensued after Manafort's deputy Rick Gates was asked by a defense attorney whether special counsel Robert Mueller's team had questioned him about his campaign work."

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/10/pau...lk-about-rick-gates-after-trump-question.html

"lawyers for both parties and Ellis huddled after Kevin Downing, a lawyer for Manafort, asked Gates during cross-examination whether he was interviewed by Mueller's team about his time working with the Trump campaign. Before Gates could respond, prosecutor Greg Andres objected and requested a sidebar discussion with the judge and Manafort’s attorneys."

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...-of-private-conference-during-gates-testimony

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
one can make a reasonable guess based on the fact of what occurred immediately before the sidebar...

"The judge at the trial of ex-Trump campaign chief Paul Manafort has sealed a discussion with lawyers that ensued after Manafort's deputy Rick Gates was asked by a defense attorney whether special counsel Robert Mueller's team had questioned him about his campaign work."

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/10/pau...lk-about-rick-gates-after-trump-question.html

"lawyers for both parties and Ellis huddled after Kevin Downing, a lawyer for Manafort, asked Gates during cross-examination whether he was interviewed by Mueller's team about his time working with the Trump campaign. Before Gates could respond, prosecutor Greg Andres objected and requested a sidebar discussion with the judge and Manafort’s attorneys."

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...-of-private-conference-during-gates-testimony

Rightfully so. The issues at hand preceded the campaign & Gates involvement with it.