Powerline Network kits: 85mbps $28.27 200mbps $39.82

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
Got mine today. Works great. I am guessing my House wiring is from the late 70's. I did a file transfer between two pcs. The Powerline program reported speed of 120mbps. My network cards are 100mb. I got the 200mbps kit.

It's a great value & price.

Also got a nice pair of headphones / headset.

Last edited:

bondisdead

Apr 28, 2007
has anybody got these to work, using the Secure mode? it should automatically generate a password, and they should all use it. I followed the shaky instructions, and after completing, I lost connection.

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
has anybody got these to work, using the Secure mode? it should automatically generate a password, and they should all use it. I followed the shaky instructions, and after completing, I lost connection.

FYI Monoprice has awesome support. You can live chat, e-mail or call. For live chat goto the site & click on Technical Support chat. If you have any future issues.

Anyways....You referring to the 200mbps model? Both need to be hooked up with Ethernet cable in them. On one of them hold down the secure button for 10+ till it reboots to generate a new code. Then press the Secure button again for 3-5 seconds, release and all 3 lights should be blinking. Goto the other one & press the secure button for 3-5 seconds as well and it should blink for 3 secs then both should be connected.

You can pop in the CD & read the guide. Also install the utility to monitor the devices if you want. Don't mess with the security features in the utility unless you're using the 85mbps model.

Last edited:

bondisdead

Apr 28, 2007
FYI Monoprice has awesome support. You can live chat, e-mail or call. For live chat goto the site & click on Technical Support chat. If you have any future issues.

Anyways....You referring to the 200mbps model? Both need to be hooked up with Ethernet cable in them. On one of them hold down the secure button for 10+ till it reboots to generate a new code. Then press the Secure button again for 3-5 seconds, release and all 3 lights should be blinking. Goto the other one & press the secure button for 3-5 seconds as well and it should blink for 3 secs then both should be connected.

You can pop in the CD & read the guide. Also install the utility to monitor the devices if you want. Don't mess with the security features in the utility unless you're using the 85mbps model.

Had not tried their tech support yet, as I was hoping to have first hand experience. They would likely just be reading from the manual. ;-)

Perhaps I misread the manual, as your methodology makes more sense. I did the 10+ seconds thing on *both* units, then the 3-5 seconds on each. I might have effectively put both units into the mode to accept the other's key. I will try it your way next. Thanks!

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
Had not tried their tech support yet, as I was hoping to have first hand experience. They would likely just be reading from the manual. ;-)

Perhaps I misread the manual, as your methodology makes more sense. I did the 10+ seconds thing on *both* units, then the 3-5 seconds on each. I might have effectively put both units into the mode to accept the other's key. I will try it your way next. Thanks!

Surprising enough the tech support is quite knowledgeable.

Anyways if all else fails unplug the Ethernet cable and press the reset button for 3-10 seconds & try again.

If you wanna make sure it's secure you can run the utility. It will say private instead of public.

Aside from that it is pretty simple to setup & use.

Last edited:

bondisdead

Apr 28, 2007
Surprising enough the tech support is quite knowledgeable.

Anyways if all else fails unplug the Ethernet cable and press the reset button for 3-10 seconds & try again.

If you wanna make sure it's secure you can run the utility. It will say private instead of public.

Aside from that it is pretty simple to setup & use.

I am thinking that I got a lemon, as I can't get them to work even without secure mode. I reset both devices to factory settings (unplugged ethernet cable and hit reset button for 2-seconds). Plugged one into a wall outlet, and ethernet cable to my router. All three LEDs are green. I then plug other unit into wall outlet, then plug in ethernet cable from my computer. Initially the leds are all green, then the Powerline light might go red. Othertimes, all the lights go out! I unplug ethernet cable, then hit reset, lights are still out. Sometimes they all flash amber. Argh, this would have to happen on a weekend, when monoprice is closed.

I know the AC outlets are powerline friendly, as I previously used Netgear adapters over the same exact plugs.

Last edited:

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
I am thinking that I got a lemon, as I can't get them to work even without secure mode. I reset both devices to factory settings (unplugged ethernet cable and hit reset button for 2-seconds). Plugged one into a wall outlet, and ethernet cable to my router. All three LEDs are green. I then plug other unit into wall outlet, then plug in ethernet cable from my computer. Initially the leds are all green, then the Powerline light might go red. Othertimes, all the lights go out! I unplug ethernet cable, then hit reset, lights are still out. Sometimes they all flash amber. Argh, this would have to happen on a weekend, when monoprice is closed.

I know the AC outlets are powerline friendly, as I previously used Netgear adapters over the same exact plugs.

When both are plugged in with Ethernet cables. Try setting the security on them.

Also run the utility to see if they see each other. Other than that talk to Monoprice tech support. They are pretty good. If all else fails they will send you another pair.

Good luck.

Last edited:

ScottFern

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Are these things supposed to be plug n play? I plugged one upstairs and one downstairs and the one upstairs is all green, but the one in my basement is all orange lights and they are definitely not seeing each other.

Do I need to reset these and then enable security, or shouldn't they just work out of the box?

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
Are these things supposed to be plug n play? I plugged one upstairs and one downstairs and the one upstairs is all green, but the one in my basement is all orange lights and they are definitely not seeing each other.

Do I need to reset these and then enable security, or shouldn't they just work out of the box?

Could be the wiring in your House & some plug-ins they can't see each other.

ScottFern

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Could be the wiring in your House & some plug-ins they can't see each other.

Probably. I know they are most likely on different breaker trip circuits. Sorry don't know the technical electrical term there.

This stinks. Guess I gotta try something else!

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
Do you have to enable security. Thought that was just an option, and they should work without it.

Yes but if you enable security on one it won't see the other unless you enable it on both.

Remember to plug one in, then the other. Then plug the Ethernet cables in.

Plus some peoples Homes will have bad wiring & some things plugged in may cause interference.