Powering a case fan without a computer?

pkypkypky

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2001
I want to put power to a 80mm case fan for use outside of a computer. I was thinking of using a regular PC power supply, but I wasn't sure if it'd boot without other components plugged in such as the motherboard connector. I was also thinking it might be overkill to use a huge power supply to power one case fan.

What's the best way to power one case fan?

The J

Aug 30, 2004
I think there's a device that allows you to use a PSU without a motherboard I think by putting a dummy load on the PSU and a switch on the device to turn it on and off. You could also connect the fan to a 9V battery by cutting and stripping the ends of the wires.

Just out of curiosity, what do you want to do with one case fan?

klah

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2002
Originally posted by: pkypkypky

What's the best way to power one case fan?

Get a AC-DC 12V Adapter at radio shack for $10. Something rated for 500mA should be enough for any 80mm fan under 5000rpm.

pkypkypky

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2001
thanks, i'll go grab one this week at radio shack.

I smoke out my window through my window fan. But my window fan isn't powerful enough on windy days so I was thinking a case fan might do the trick. Also, stores don't carry any window fans right now so I can't shop for a stronger one. I'll probably use some foam around the case fan. Hope you weren't expecting something exciting. haha :p

btw, do you think something like this fan will do the trick? It's 2800rpm, 125.5CFM and 45.0db. Is that overkill or too loud? I have some old case fans lying, so I could try those first.

klah

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2002
lol, I have no idea how effective it will be, but it sounds interesting. If you are going to try 120mm fans as well you better get an adapter capable of 800mA+.

I am not sure what type of connector those adapters come with but you will probably have to cut it off. Then you can simply attach a 4-pin or 3-pin molex and connect fans directly to it.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Originally posted by: pkypkypky
thanks, i'll go grab one this week at radio shack.

I smoke out my window through my window fan. But my window fan isn't powerful enough on windy days so I was thinking a case fan might do the trick. Also, stores don't carry any window fans right now so I can't shop for a stronger one. I'll probably use some foam around the case fan. Hope you weren't expecting something exciting. haha :p

btw, do you think something like this fan will do the trick? It's 2800rpm, 125.5CFM and 45.0db. Is that overkill or too loud? I have some old case fans lying, so I could try those first.

Just stop smoking :p *cough* *cough*

pkypkypky

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2001
link doesn't work. cheap AC fan? The only cheap fans I know are box fans which works okay actually but mine broke.

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
Actually just about any AC fan you can find will put any reasonably priced PC fan (12VDC) on the trailer as far as CFM goes. IAC, if you decide to get a wall wart, go to WalMart or similar and get the variable voltage one (approx. 1000mA rating). That way you can use just about any 12VDC fan and control the speed.
.bh.

Gioron

Jul 22, 2004
Originally posted by: klah
lol, I have no idea how effective it will be, but it sounds interesting. If you are going to try 120mm fans as well you better get an adapter capable of 800mA+.

I am not sure what type of connector those adapters come with but you will probably have to cut it off. Then you can simply attach a 4-pin or 3-pin molex and connect fans directly to it.

The radio shack wall warts have uni-something connectors on them, which means you can change out the tip to fit whatever device you have. And I've seen tips that end up with 2 tinned connectors for easy soldering. Very nice. Wall warts are the one item that Radio Shack carries that I think is worth buying at their price.