PowerDVD 10 wont play blu-rays, plays DVDs fine

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
So i managed to loose the free copy of power DVD that came with my blu ray drive courtesy of LG, and the version shipped with my other blu-ray drives only works with that particular model of lite-on, so i decided to download power DVD 10. downloaded the $49.99 version, installed it and activated it, and then i went to try to watch disk 1 of season one of lost on BD, and it is throwing an error "there is a disk with an unsupported format in drive G:". it does this with blu ray disks that i know for a fact work just fine as well, so it has to be the software related. anyone have any ideas as to how to get powerdvd 10 to play a perfectly good working blu-ray disk? this is pissing me off, i dont know why it didnt just work right the first time, the way my old powerdvd did, and there is nothing in the settings that would lead me to think its anything specific

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
I actually lost my free powerdvd from an lg drive as well. I have the disc, just no sort of product key or whatever.

Oh well, I can still rip them with anydvd and play the file then

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I actually lost my free powerdvd from an lg drive as well. I have the disc, just no sort of product key or whatever.

Oh well, I can still rip them with anydvd and play the file then

I don't think you need any code to install....At least I didn't with either of the LG's I have/had but then again mine came with the LG's that also play the HD-DVD's so may be a diff version.

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
No mine is the BR/HD-DVD as well. I don't particularly remember ever having one, but I know that last time I tried to install it it asked for one

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
See if there is a newer firmware for your blu-ray drive on LG's site.
their site doesnt even have any software available on it, the only way to get anything form them it seems is to call them. this is stupid, if they really dont make any software downloads available on their site im not buying an LG drive again :thumbsdown:

http://www.lg.com/us/computer-products/optical-media/LG-internal-dvd-burner-GBC-H20L.jsp

btw for firmware updates, they gave me a piece of software on the same disk as the powerDVD that im supposed to have installed, but it stopped working when i upgrade installed to windows 7, and to be honest im not sure if it ever really did anything other than the first day i installed it when i ran it and it updated. i tried updating plenty of times since then and there either wasnt an update or the tool doesnt work. the way it's supposed to work is just go out to the internet and keep the drive updated on its own, but if this is a firmware update problem then it obviously didnt do that. i should mention that most of the blu-rays i tested with worked just fine as early as yesterday, so i dont know why it wouldnt work now

Last edited:
May 13, 2009
Why don't you download totalmediatheatre 3 and see if that works? They give you a free trial and that should be good enough to see if it's software related or your drive is not functioning properly.

pcsavvy

Jan 27, 2006
I bought the LG Bluray player for my pc and the accompaning PowerDvd wouldn't work on my Windows 7 64 bit computer, no matter what I tried either it would play regular dvds or just shut down.:eek:
So I went to Newegg purchased the downloadable version of Corel WinDVD version 9 for about 30 bucks and now I can play any type of movie I want.

Eventually I may upgrade to the version 10 but I will wait till it goes on special.

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
Well that's fucking lame. I looked at that before buying it though and I didn't see anything saying it doesn't play them. Where do you see it saying it won't play BD-ROM?

pcsavvy

Jan 27, 2006
My included software said it was the PowerDVD Blu Ray version OEM but it would not work on my computer so rather than spend $100 on software. I searched and found a bluray compatitable software that didn't cost an arm and leg.
Unfortunately with PowerDvd, if you want to play Bluray you have to have the Ultra version and I was NOT going to spend $99.99 on software. NO WAY!!

Corel WinDVD 9 (download version)($29.99 @ NE) was easy to install but I did have to be patient in downloading the updates for it but once I got it done, it has worked like a champ with no problems.
Yeah, it is an older version but it works till I can afford to upgrade.

Last edited:

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
What LG drive did you buy? What version of PowerDVD did it come with?

Maybe somebody could send you a backed up copy of the original disc you lost :)

d4a2n0k

May 6, 2002
http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdvd/compare-retail_en_US.html

Look under HD video support and see all those missing check marks for the standard and deluxe editions? Its been like this for Powerdvd 8 & 9 as well. Only the Ultra version will play Blurays.

On top of this, there are still bugs they never worked out in earlier versions, you are Cyberlinks beta tester. They are a bunch of crooks. They probably figure if they trick people in to dropping 50 bucks, when they figure out it wont play Blurays, you ONLY have to cough up another 50 to get it working. They hide it on purpose....

No wonder there are TONS of torrents out there for Powerdvd, not that I condone piracy or anything. :)

**Forgot to mention that they just put it on sale for 95 bucks, what a deal!

Last edited:

pcsavvy

Jan 27, 2006
I got the Lite On model # iHOS104-08 with Cyberlink PowerDVD BD edition v8, 2 ch, Windows 7 Ready with True Theater HD. This software should have worked but didn't so I got one that did.

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
yea totalmedia theater works just fine, watching the pilot now for LOST. that's just fucking dirty of them to make it so hard to figure out which version supports BD playback. im gonna talk to my bank tomorrow about getting a chargeback on that $50 CC charge, and if they can, im gonna shop around for something from a company which isnt trying to con even experienced techs over

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
ooh my god lol, so my total media trial expired yesterday right? well guess what i found while i was doing some spring cleaning :awe:. found my free copy of powerDVD that came with my LG drive, was sitting under a huge pile of junk i just tossed out on a bookshelf i was about to get rid of. looks like no one's getting any more of my money now :D