PowerColor PCS+ r9 290 vs Sapphire r9 290 tri-x vs Asus r9 290 DirectCU II OC

NirHahs

Jan 1, 2014
As the title says, which one of em is the best in term of performance and build quality. both asus and powercolor have a backplate which is making em more cool than other card.

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
I haven't seen a review on the PCS+ yet.

The TRI-X is an excellent card, great temperatures and it uses the reference board.

Asus I personally try to avoid at all costs since their GPU warranty process is horrible.

I would choose between the PCS+ and Tri-x. Without reviews it's really hard to say much about the PCS+.

NirHahs

Jan 1, 2014
I haven't seen a review on the PCS+ yet.

The TRI-X is an excellent card, great temperatures and it uses the reference board.

Asus I personally try to avoid at all costs since their GPU warranty process is horrible.

I would choose between the PCS+ and Tri-x. Without reviews it's really hard to say much about the PCS+.

maybe it's in ur country, Asus here in my country offer the best service.
how about MSI r9 290 gaming?

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Are you using them only for single GPU gaming? For gaming, any single card you listed will be fine.

For crossfire usage, my Sapphire Tri-X run much cooler compared to my MSI Gaming 290s. Not to mention they overclock better, especially on the RAM (1650 MHz+ versus < 1400 MHz for the MSIs). MSI Gaming cards look nicer cosmetically (mainly because of back plate) but seem to use cheaper components. The ASUS has the highest stock overclock if you don't care about manually overclocking.

Any specific questions?

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
The PCS+ has a TRIPLE slot cooler apparently...could be good, but I haven't seen any reviews yet.

NirHahs

Jan 1, 2014
Are you using them only for single GPU gaming? For gaming, any single card you listed will be fine.

For crossfire usage, my Sapphire Tri-X run much cooler compared to my MSI Gaming 290s. Not to mention they overclock better, especially on the RAM (1650 MHz+ versus < 1400 MHz for the MSIs). MSI Gaming cards look nicer cosmetically (mainly because of back plate) but seem to use cheaper components. The ASUS has the highest stock overclock if you don't care about manually overclocking.

Any specific questions?

I dont think Asus has, the powercolor pcs+ has the highest stock clock. Alot of people talking about the Asus disadvantages . it seems that Asus product for r9 290 is poor compare to others. the powercolor pcs+ also have backplate which is more good looking than the MSI. the problem is, I never heard about this manufacture before :colbert:

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
I dont think Asus has, the powercolor pcs+ has the highest stock clock. Alot of people talking about the Asus disadvantages . it seems that Asus product for r9 290 is poor compare to others. the powercolor pcs+ also have backplate which is more good looking than the MSI. the problem is, I never heard about this manufacture before :colbert:

Powercolor has been around for a while for AMD cards, but I'm not sure about their customer service.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Wow, that PCS+ will for sure be the coolest running with this cooler... TRIPLE slot

show_img.asp

reb0rn

Dec 31, 2009
Anyone with powercolor PCS+ 290 I need it for mining but can not find info which memory type they have, hynix should be only good (new gpu-z should show memory maker)

Also is VRM temp low... I have Sapphire 290 tri-x and VRM1 is overheating to 95-100C

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Anyone with powercolor PCS+ 290 I need it for mining but can not find info which memory type they have, hynix should be only good (new gpu-z should show memory maker)

Also is VRM temp low... I have Sapphire 290 tri-x and VRM1 is overheating to 95-100C

Those temps are fine for VRM.

reb0rn

Dec 31, 2009
Can someone with powercolor pcs+ 290 use latest GPU-z and see what type of memory is has?
Tnx

reb0rn

Dec 31, 2009
latest GPU-z 0.7.6 show Hynix for mu Sapphire tri-x 290... its next to Memory type GDDR (Hynix)

tolis626

Aug 25, 2013
I have to say that I've always hated Powercolor.I just now realize there was no real reason behind this opinion.I don't know why but I always thought of them as a second-tier AIB.It seems I was wrong and I must say I'm quite happy about it.Another choice has just come into play.

I'm quite impressed by the PCS+.Do we know any details about the PCB?Is it reference like the Tri-X or is it custom?If it's any better than the reference PCB,this card will be a beast.Can't wait for reviews.

reb0rn

Dec 31, 2009
I just learned that powercolor PCS+ 290 is elpida, but for mining is not so bad just 30khs less then my sapphire hynix model with same freq/mem

junkiefp

Aug 2, 2006
I just got the PCS+ 290 today. Its such a beast - almost the size of my keyboard. Will test it tonight and let you know how it performs.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
I just got the PCS+ 290 today. Its such a beast - almost the size of my keyboard. Will test it tonight and let you know how it performs.

Nice, if you can take a pic of the VRM heatsink as well (even just a macro pic without disassembling everything), that would be great.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Nice, if you can take a pic of the VRM heatsink as well (even just a macro pic without disassembling everything), that would be great.

This is the only pic I could find that shows the VRM heat sink.

900x900px-LL-ee9a0fe2_pc_pcs04.jpeg

Not massive, but at least it has one.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
This is the only pic I could find that shows the VRM heat sink.
Not massive, but at least it has one.

Thanks! I always look for that because when I watercool, I use a universal block which means I need to cool the VRMs and memory chips. If the card already has those heatsinks separate from the core, it is a lot easier for me. The reference cards unfortunately have the core heatsink glued to the plate which cools the VRMs and RAM chips.