Powerbook G4 Crashes immediately after boot

Discussion in 'All Things Apple' started by Shawn, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Shawn

Shawn Lifer

Replaced the power connector and dvd drive for a customer. It was working fine but had OS X 10.3. Did a clean install of OS X Leopard, left it on all day and when I got to registration part it crashed. Restarted and completed the install. After a few minutes though I got a kernel panic. Now every time I boot into the OS it either freezes, gets a kernal panic, or I get the message that says to turn the computer off by holding the power button.

The fan isn't spinning so maybe it has died or the connection got damaged? I let it cool down for a while but it still crashes right away. The install disc crashes now too. Thought it could also be the ram so I took out the stick and all that is left is the internal ram so if that went bad I guess the mobo is fubar. :-/

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Powerbook Crashes immediately Forum Date
    Macbook Pro Kernel Panic? All Things Apple Apr 27, 2017
    Battery Issue? Powerbook G4 All Things Apple Sep 19, 2014
    Files off old PowerBook HDD All Things Apple Jun 10, 2012
    What to do with Powerbook G4 All Things Apple Feb 22, 2012
    Did I just bork my ancient G4 Powerbook? Really? (Help?) All Things Apple Nov 29, 2011

3. ViRGE

ViRGE Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus

If you can dig out an old Apple Hardware Diagnostics disc you can give that a shot.

4. dave_the_nerd

It's overheating. Could be loose chips on the motherboard.

Should be able to find a temp control program that will let you speed to fans up manually. If the fan's dead, you can replace it.

But for a Powerbook G4... yeesh.

I have one of these. With 4GB of RAM and an SSD, it's a sweet little knockaround laptop.

5. Syrome

Syrome Member

Best of luck to you. Hope everything gets fixed.

6. Shawn

Shawn Lifer

That's what I originally thought. Problem is it crashes before I can run any type of diagnostic software. It quickly crashes from a cold boot as well so I'm thinking the onboard ram is bad. :/