Power Surge: Assessing Damage

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
4 weeks ago there was a power surge and then today everything seems to be going wrong.

My current setup is from 2011 with a few upgrades along the way:
P67 Asus
2500k @ 4.4
4GBx2 Corsair Value
OCZ 128GB SSD
1TB Seagate (SMART status: failed)
3TB WD
MSI GTX 970 (later addition)
Crossover (Korean) 1440p LCD
650W Antec

When the power surge happened, my LCD power brick blew out. There was a burning smell. I was able to find a replacement power brick which was 4.15A compared to 5A on the original (the original power brick seems almost impossible to find). The Windows installation on the SSD was corrupted and I had to reinstall.

Since then, everything seemed to work pretty well. The LCD LED when initially powered on blinked rapidly as if it was trying to turn on but it couldn't. But after a while it just worked. The same thing happened when I turned the main switch power off for a few days but after a while after I turned it on, it started working.

I have been getting Random blue screens (once in 2 days? even before the power surge) especially while playing games on the failing drive. Otherwise the drive seemed to work well. Two days ago, while trying to download GTA5, Steam kept crashing. Turned out that copying anything to the 1 TB drive crashes the drive. CHKSDK is okay. The drive must have failed. The drive has been having SMART errors for 2 years; works fine otherwise.

I disconnected the main power to go and buy a replacement drive. However, after turning it back on the LCD LED keeps blinking along with the LED on its power brick. It's as if it's trying to turn on but can't. I tried turning the PC on/off a number of times which had worked before--but no longer. It's probably the lack of power on the brick--but it worked fine before (although it took a while). Confused! It could just be that there's not enough power to scale resolutions but it could be fine on 1440p output.

Then I tried to plug the PC into the TV. I wasted 3 hours: Sometimes, the PC would boot until the Repair Windows screen and then crash. I'm getting different errors: non-paged area, memory etc. the BIOS seems to work fine. Sometimes, it just won't boot. All lights on the keyboard (CAPS, NUM, SCROLL) are on all (not able to turn off) and there is no video. The motherboard diagnostic lights have been showing either no error or random ones. I have cleared the CMOS. I have tried creating a recovery USB disk--but won't boot. I have tried switching the memory sticks--no avail.

So what's wrong? The LED power brick is probably a goner? I could have damaged something by constant on/off? What do I do now? Or is it the graphics card I tried overclocking last week?

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Since then, everything seemed to work pretty well. The LCD LED when initially powered on blinked rapidly as if it was trying to turn on but it couldn't. But after a while it just worked. The same thing happened when I turned the main switch power off for a few days but after a while after I turned it on, it started working.

This is caused by your capacitors charging, probably not fast enough for what the LCD needs to turn on. Most likely this is happening due to the replacement power brick being under powered for the use case. I don't know that it would actually cause problems (other than being annoying) but i think the brick itself can be damaged by the LCD trying to draw too much through it.

The rest could probably be explained by the capacitors in your PSU being blown, lack of power when the system needs it can easily cause any/all of the problems you're describing. If it's under warranty you may be able to get a replacement (maybe). If not, you can confirm by cracking it open and seeing if the top of the capacitors is blown (google for images of what it looks like), it'll be super duper obvious in a power supply since they'll be big.

If you don't know how to replace them, don't bother, just get a new one.

Rest of the board is *probably* okay if it's like, booting normally and stuff. The 1TB drive might even be okay if it just wasn't getting enough juice to spin up to write stuff.

So to summarize:
Try to find another power brick for that LCD or accept that you're going to have to dick around with it for the forseeable future
Get a new power supply or investigate replacing the caps in the current one.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
A bad surge can damage everything that it is connected to. Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason on how it works. Over the years on here, I have seen many people lose a computer to power damage. Sometimes it will kill everything. I have also seen it just take one component like a power supply, the motherboard, hard drives, or video card.

Unfortunately, to figure out what was damaged, you will have to try the components in a good computer.

Did you not have your computer on a surge protector or UPS?

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
This is caused by your capacitors charging, probably not fast enough for what the LCD needs to turn on. Most likely this is happening due to the replacement power brick being under powered for the use case. I don't know that it would actually cause problems (other than being annoying) but i think the brick itself can be damaged by the LCD trying to draw too much through it.

The rest could probably be explained by the capacitors in your PSU being blown, lack of power when the system needs it can easily cause any/all of the problems you're describing. If it's under warranty you may be able to get a replacement (maybe). If not, you can confirm by cracking it open and seeing if the top of the capacitors is blown (google for images of what it looks like), it'll be super duper obvious in a power supply since they'll be big.

If you don't know how to replace them, don't bother, just get a new one.

Rest of the board is *probably* okay if it's like, booting normally and stuff. The 1TB drive might even be okay if it just wasn't getting enough juice to spin up to write stuff.

So to summarize:
Try to find another power brick for that LCD or accept that you're going to have to dick around with it for the forseeable future
Get a new power supply or investigate replacing the caps in the current one.

Thanks. I found another power brick with the correct amperage and the LCD seems to work fine. The rest of the computer isn't doing that well. It might as well be the PSU. Last night, I tried to make it work again. It's not the HDD. I tried booting using a Windows install USB, but it crashes right after the Windows screen. This is when I can get anything on the display anyway. On some attempts at booting, the PC powered on/off repeatedly--no display. Just lights and fans. The rest of the time, the keyboard and other peripherals power up, but I can't even turn off the CAPS/NUM light off.

I will be taking my PC to a local shop and with available parts, it'll be easier to diagnose.

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
A bad surge can damage everything that it is connected to. Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason on how it works. Over the years on here, I have seen many people lose a computer to power damage. Sometimes it will kill everything. I have also seen it just take one component like a power supply, the motherboard, hard drives, or video card.

Unfortunately, to figure out what was damaged, you will have to try the components in a good computer.

Did you not have your computer on a surge protector or UPS?

Lesson learned. I will invest in a good UPS.

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
iT could also be RAM failing due to the surge. I'd test with a single stick of RAM, one at a time to see if there's a bad one. It may also be power supply related tho.

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
iT could also be RAM failing due to the surge. I'd test with a single stick of RAM, one at a time to see if there's a bad one. It may also be power supply related tho.
I tried with a different PSU. I tried the RAM sticks one at a time. Unless both have simultaneously failed, it's either the motherboard or processor. The 5 year warranty on the motherboard ran out in February. I guess it's time for another build. There's no point buying a new ($100+ used) motherboard or processor for something that is 5 years old.

I am now considering upgrading my motherboard processor to a Z170 and 6600k. I will need new DDR4 RAM. I'm also considering getting a GTX 1070 and a 500GB SSD. Do you think I need to replace my PSU considering it is 5+ years old? Or should I just run with it?

Last edited:

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
You're asking the wrong person. Mine is 8+ yrs old 700 watt & I'll run it till it dies, but that's me..

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I tried with a different PSU. I tried the RAM sticks one at a time. Unless both have simultaneously failed, it's either the motherboard or processor. The 5 year warranty on the motherboard ran out in February. I guess it's time for another build. There's no point buying a new ($100+ used) motherboard or processor for something that is 5 years old.

I am now considering upgrading my motherboard processor to a Z170 and 6600k. I will need new DDR4 RAM. I'm also considering getting a GTX 1070 and a 500GB SSD. Do you think I need to replace my PSU considering it is 5+ years old? Or should I just run with it?

If you are sure it's not damaged, you can reuse it. However, even though it's not dead, it could have received some damage and might be a good idea to just replace it. A lot of Antec PSUs only have 3 year warranties (depending on model number), so your call.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015

Given what that PSU just went through it might be worth replacing it just for peace of mind, it'll only cost you $100 or so for a quality one and you'll never have to worry about it.

g.skill makes great 3200 DDR (tridentz), which is on sale right now on newegg for under $100 for 16GB. Make sure it's compatible with your board (probably will be, and this rule applies to any board/ram combo). 6600k is a solid buy unless you're planning on some dedicated gaming (see the various CPU threads regarding i7 vs i5 performance now, and anticipated upcoming perf trends). You'll be happy with the other components.

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
I will make a trip to the local Asus dealer tomorrow to see if they're willing to diagnose my motherboard for free. I'll be buying most of my stuff from here in Pakistan: www.czone.com.pk $1 = Rs. 105. Prices for most things are at parity if you consider the quoted prices include all taxes. Luckily, I have a friend returning from the USA next week so I can have him get some stuff if there is a significant difference: GPUs are pretty expensive here.

2600K = 24,800 ($240)

ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING = 18,900 ($185)
Transcend SSD370 = 17,500 ($170) Can't seem to find Samsung SSD's here. Worth asking my friend?
Corsair Value Select =11000 ($105) Other choices here: http://www.czone.com.pk/memory-module-ram-desktop-ddr4-memory-pakistan-pt.383.aspx is faster RAM worth it these days?
Corsair Gold CSM 750W (or is 650 enough?) I'm leaning towards leaving my Antec--can a bad PSU damage other parts?
I can always replace it if it goes bad. =12,800 ($120)

Total= $820
And a GTX 1070 is $400. All of a sudden $1200 seems like a whopping lot!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I will make a trip to the local Asus dealer tomorrow to see if they're willing to diagnose my motherboard for free. I'll be buying most of my stuff from here in Pakistan: www.czone.com.pk $1 = Rs. 105. Prices for most things are at parity if you consider the quoted prices include all taxes. Luckily, I have a friend returning from the USA next week so I can have him get some stuff if there is a significant difference: GPUs are pretty expensive here.

2600K = 24,800 ($240)

ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING = 18,900 ($185)
Transcend SSD370 = 17,500 ($170) Can't seem to find Samsung SSD's here. Worth asking my friend?
Corsair Value Select =11000 ($105) Other choices here: http://www.czone.com.pk/memory-module-ram-desktop-ddr4-memory-pakistan-pt.383.aspx is faster RAM worth it these days?
Corsair Gold CSM 750W (or is 650 enough?) I'm leaning towards leaving my Antec--can a bad PSU damage other parts?
I can always replace it if it goes bad. =12,800 ($120)

Total= $820
And a GTX 1070 is $400. All of a sudden $1200 seems like a whopping lot!

650w is plenty to power those components.

The Transcend SSD is perfectly fine, and was recommended by Anandtech:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8792/transcend-ssd370-128gb-256gb-512gb-review/8

You listed an old Sandy Brudge CPU, but a Skylake motherboard. Did you mean a 6600k? If so, don't forget those don't come with heatsinks, so you will likely need to buy one as well (depending on what cooler you have right now).

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
650w is plenty to power those components.

The Transcend SSD is perfectly fine, and was recommended by Anandtech:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8792/transcend-ssd370-128gb-256gb-512gb-review/8

You listed an old Sandy Brudge CPU, but a Skylake motherboard. Did you mean a 6600k? If so, don't forget those don't come with heatsinks, so you will likely need to buy one as well (depending on what cooler you have right now).

Yes, 6600k. I'm planning to use my old hyper 212.

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
The local repair shop I went to has confirmed that the motherboard is the culprit. They have offered to try and fix it for $30 if it works; otherwise no charge. Apparently, will try to replace some "chips." Nothing to lose; worth a try I guess.

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
The motherboard was "beyond repair." I've ended up spending up much more than I was planning to. First I bought

Asus Z170-A $200
Intel 6600K $270
8 GB (x2) 3200MHZ RAM $130

I was planning to reuse my Hyper 212+. Sadly, one of the screws is damaged and won't fit. I tried to find a replacement but I couldn't find one (maybe did not look hard enough). I was considering getting a Cryorig H5 for $50 but I ended up getting:

Cooler Master Nepton 240M $120
Corsair RM1000x PSU $200
1.5KVA UPS $165

I know the PSU is overkill but hopefully it will protect my components better. Lower Wattage high quality PSU's were mostly sold out. Don't want to take a chance. I also bought a UPS which doubles as a surge protector. A good investment considering we have power cuts almost every other day. My old PSU smells a little funny so maybe a good decision to replace it.

The only component I haven't replaced is the CM690 II. I like the case. Unfortunately, the cooler/motherboard PSU combination does not fit. Any suggestions from www.czone.com.pk ? $1~`Rs100.

I've also bought a GTX 1070 which a USA friend is bringing $400
Transcend SD370 will ship tomorrow. $170

That is $1755 with a case to get. OOPS!

Last edited:

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
You got filched on that RAM, newegg has 16GB of tridentz for the same price (and I've seen it under $90).

The mobo is a smidge expensive but I guess given what you can order from, it's not terrible. Everything else looks mostly on par. It's (unfortunately) expensive, but that should all work for you.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
You got filched on that RAM, newegg has 16GB of tridentz for the same price (and I've seen it under $90).

The mobo is a smidge expensive but I guess given what you can order from, it's not terrible. Everything else looks mostly on par. It's (unfortunately) expensive, but that should all work for you.

Which is great for people who live in the U.S., unlike the OP.

OP: I don't have time to look at those cases right now, but I'll take a look a little bit later on to recommend one.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
So from that site:

Budget:

http://www.czone.com.pk/casing-cors...tower-case-cc-9011077-ww-pakistan-p.4199.aspx ($56)

http://www.czone.com.pk/casing-cool...c-case-black-rc-593-kwn2-pakistan-p.4949.aspx ($62)

Mid:

http://www.czone.com.pk/casing-cors...puter-case-cc-9011071-ww-pakistan-p.3156.aspx ($107)

High:

http://www.czone.com.pk/casing-cors...case-cc-9011078-ww-black-pakistan-p.4192.aspx ($162)

However, some people like "quiet" cases and some like models that are all about performance. Some like plain-looking cases, while some like ones that glow like a glow stick or look like a failed Gobot concept. All three of those have reviews on them, so you can see what would work for you. I personally like "quiet" cases where I can use 140mm fans in front and as an exhaust because they move more air and are quieter.

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003

I did get 16 GB for that price, not 8.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

Skyzoomer

Sep 27, 2007
4 weeks ago there was a power surge and then today everything seems to be going wrong. ...snip...

Curious. When the power surge happened, was all of your hardware plugged into a power strip(s) that had surge protection? Just trying to learn whether surge protectors work or not.