Power Supply went up in smoke after new computer build?

QuestionsandAnsweres

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2001
Got myself an Athlon 64 and motherboard (rest of the part i had before. ). After I put it together and turned it on the powersupply sparked and smoke came out. Was working fine before. One thing i did forget to do was plug in the 4 plug power cable ( i like to call it Pentium 4 cable cause thats who first used it i believe :p)

But i thought if u didnt plug that in nothing would happen except possible instability.

What could of caused this? Or was it simple bad luck? Oh ya it was a Antec truepower 330. I have had powersupplies do this to me before but there usually CHEAP ones. Weird that this would happen with a nice antec like this?

Also. Any chance it could of messed up my new motherboard? Would really suck if it did :p..

Thanks for any advice :)

helpmeout

Sep 24, 2001
Have you looked for burn damage on the PS and mobo? I don't think the 4 wire power cable would do this. Look for any burn damage that may be evident and you may find a short circuit.

QuestionsandAnsweres

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2001
bought new power supply at circuit city. (antec) plugged it in. smoke still coming out of my computer. pretty sure its not power supply this time tho...... Bad motherboard?

helpmeout

Sep 24, 2001
Have you checked the parts for any signs of burn damage? You must have a short. Is the mobo correctly mounted on the standoffs? Don't think this could do it, but is the PS set for the appropriate voltage?

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
Also, note that there is only one correct orientation for the ATX12V cable. Get that puppy rotated 90°, 180° or 270° off of its intended position, and you can expect some excitement :Q Ditto for the main power cable, don't force it into the mobo 180° off.

If the mobo took damage from the initial error, it may now be a killer. Consider throwing it away and starting over.

QuestionsandAnsweres

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2001
funny thing is i have been building computers for 10 years now.... This was my brothers computer really and i didnt really help him much (he just told me what was going on and i looked things over and i couldnt figure it out.) So i decided to actually try and start taking things apart. Right when i started I noticed 2 things wrong... First was he had 1 of the memory sticks in the wrong slot (wont boot there). 2 he accidently plugged only 3 of the 4 floppy pins in. So he actually fried one of the pins off into the powersupply floppy connector. Sortof funny. I laughed and fixed it (new floppy drive) :)

Thanks all :)