Question Power Supply prices so bad right now, I even went and bought a few "Apevia" PSUs... for non-critical uses.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
So... pity me I guess.

I ordered a few of the $39.99 (+$6.99 ship, ugh), EVGA 500W "80Plus White" PSUs (which claim to have two PCI-E 6+2-pin plugs on them), for moderate gaming builds and decent browser-box builds, and broke down and bought some $27 Apevia "470W" PSUs, for non-critical builds (APU builds), since they don't even have ANY PCI-E power connectors, according to the reviews.

How bad can they be? Can't be much worse than "Case PSUs", can they? :p

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I'd expect a very old group regulated design, capable of running a "few" years at half the rated load before the caps and/or fan fail. I haven't seen what is coming in cases these days so can only imagine their 470W is a little better than that, but I haven't been keeping up with what Apevia has to offer now. I did notice that Amazon has other models (and that one?) at lower prices than 'egg:

Even so it is below the minimum I'd buy due to not being full range input, APFC. I'd sooner reuse one of the several I have, maybe put new caps and a fan in one of those Corsair CX430 we used to get for ~$15AR. Heh I just checked 'egg and Amazon and those are selling for $100 now. Insane! Granted, old model so probably only the high priced sellers remain.

Fortunately the prices for caps and fans hasn't changed much. In recent years I've been getting panasonic FS caps from Digikey and fans... I've got bulk of San Ace and NMB that practically run forever, but today maybe MPJA or another electronics surplus 'site for deals on industrial grade, dual ball bearing fans.

Replace these weak links and a PSU can run practically forever, or until a power surge hits it, providing you don't let it get clogged with dust. Any system I set up now has a filtered intake and I wouldn't have it any other way. The beauty of that is, it also doubles as a room air cleaner. Downside is you have to clean the filters every once in a while, so I prefer cases with removable front bezels or modifying them to do that. Heh, maybe I have too much free time now that society is being told not to go anywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: killster1

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
i get sad when i see people using a cheap psu. it should be the most important part of your build right? you are giving these builds away?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
you are giving these builds away?
More or less. I've got a pair of G3258 ITX builds with 2x2GB DDR3, and I've got a friend/client with a build from maybe 3-5 years ago, with a "Case PSU". (Granted, it was a Supercase/Aliied 300W unit, which were built surprisingly-well, as "case PSUs" went.) Friend was talking about upgrade, I thought that replacement of the PSU might be in order as well.

But chances are, I'll just use the two Apevia "470W" PSUs for my giveaway builds, and sell the friend one of my EVGA "80Plus White" 500W units, with dual PCI-E 6+2-pin, and then sell / give them a GPU, like my Sapphire Nitro+ that has served me well thus far (*a Newegg factory refurb).

Reviews on Amazon are certainly interesting. Basically, what I expected, more or less. Put in a GPU, and it pops. Surprising, both instances noted that it didn't damage anything when it "popped".

Last edited: