Power Supply Calculator

Discussion in 'Power Supplies' started by LongN3ck, Jan 25, 2013.

1. LongN3ck

LongN3ck Junior Member

2. lehtv

lehtv Lifer

What for? There are plenty of PSU calculators out there that are not stickied. I don't see how this Asus calculator is any better, in fact it seems to have fewer options than Thermaltake's calculator, for instance. It seems to overestimate the needed wattage to compensate for bad quality units, just like all the other calculators.

Also, wattage isn't everything. What's more important is the amount of amps on the +12V rail(s), the number of connectors needed for your graphics card, and the quality and reliability of the unit.

#2 lehtv, Jan 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  3. dma0991

dma0991 Platinum Member

The PSU calculator is slightly flawed. I matched the my specs and the calculator churns out a 400W requirement. Definitely could do with less but I find it fair as most PSUs that I purchase is a minimum of 500W. What's flawed is when I add in a single HD7970 and the wattage shoots up to 700W. You certainly do not need that much for a HD7970, realistically 550-600W is plenty.

The hilarious part is that the calculator allows me to account for two Core i5 3570Ks. I'd wish. :biggrin:

4. GeeKayCee

GeeKayCee Junior Member

The Asus one is one of the worst ones, for certain. Gave a system that runs fine on 520W PSU an 800W as recommended, instead. Hmm, come comes? Aha... Asus makes PSU as well. Make your conclusions, gentelmen.

5. mikeymikec

mikeymikec Diamond Member

PSU calculators (all the ones I've seen) are fatally flawed. The only way of making them vaguely accurate would be to make a short list of decent PSUs / brands of PSU and run the tests using those, and have a disclaimer of "if you're not using a PSU on this list, you may as well be using a ouija board to calculate the answer to your question".

6. Durvelle27

Durvelle27 Diamond Member

XD said my pc requires 700W when it doesn't even break 600W barely 550W

#6 Durvelle27, Jan 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  7. LongN3ck

LongN3ck Junior Member

fair points. perhaps a list of all the calculators, since a majority of posts here seem to be about needed wattage. ;)

8. lehtv

lehtv Lifer

None of the calculators are useful enough to be stickied. All of them estimate (or should I say overestimate) the PSU wattage, none of them calculate actual peak power consumption. Perhaps instead there should be a sticky with information about how to judge how much power your system uses, how to decide the PSU wattage needed, and whether a particular PSU is worth buying or not.

9. zeeshanaayan07

zeeshanaayan07 Junior Member

Some time we can't use it without electricity

10. Phynaz

Phynaz Diamond Member

Lol, that calculator added 200 watts for an HD7850 card, which is a 105w card.

It says I need a 550w supply for my system, which draws 200w from the wall when fully loaded.

11. bononos

bononos Diamond Member

An i3/i5 pc with a 7850 won't take more than 200-220W peak while gaming, (more in furmark). The online calculators overestimate the power requirements alot.

12. Vectronic

Vectronic Senior member

ASUS: 400W
    Thermaltake: 356W

Actual PSU: 750W
    Peak usage: about 270W (hypothetical since I actually haven't measured)

Result: power usage calculators fail, but are accurate enough in my case, re-confirmed my over-powered PSU. (cheap, matched color scheme, don't care)

Edit: MSI's calculator is pretty close (assuming "stock").
    Power-On's isn't... though it doesn't have my CPU/GPU either, but it's way off.

#12 Vectronic, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013