Discussion Power gating GPU's vs ppd

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
Great research! Though I am finding that these 3000 series cards vary a bit depending on the work / task, actual sillycon as in actual size, temperature, voltage curve, and temperature! These cards are individualy tuned from the factory.

They all seem to do better for d.c. undervolted a bit with the vram a bit pumped up in hz?

drnickriviera

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2001
I've been playing with my 1660 and didn't have much progress with power limiting. What I have had good results with is locking the core frequency. Don't seem to be too many 1660's on the LAR systems database, but what I am getting is -6% to +2% off of average. Watts dropped from 95w to 65w as reported in gpu-z. My brother seems to be having similar results with his 2060. There seems to be a spot on the CoreHz/Voltage curve where you see a huge drop in power draw.

Vid i used for instructions on core locking. Be curious to see the results if anyone trys this on a 30 series card

Reactions: Assimilator1

gordonbb

May 25, 2022
I've been playing with my 1660 and didn't have much progress with power limiting. What I have had good results with is locking the core frequency. Don't seem to be too many 1660's on the LAR systems database, but what I am getting is -6% to +2% off of average. Watts dropped from 95w to 65w as reported in gpu-z. My brother seems to be having similar results with his 2060. There seems to be a spot on the CoreHz/Voltage curve where you see a huge drop in power draw.

Vid i used for instructions on core locking. Be curious to see the results if anyone trys this on a 30 series card

Yes, this works on my 3070Ti. I run
Code:
nvidia-smi -i 0 -lgc 0,1500

This is also the best option for Turing GPUs as the peak efficiency on many of these ends up under the minimum Power Limit. Unfortunately locking the Graphics Clock is not supported on Pascal.

Reactions: biodoc