Power consumption of GTX260 55nm

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

a123456

Oct 26, 2006
Originally posted by: xfile
EVGA claims the 55mm cards are 1" shorter per their website.

It's not. The PDF file for the 55nm is outdated. The 126x models all used to say 9.5 inches also for the longest time before they finally updated it to the correct 10.5 inches. The current 125x PDF file is a carbon copy of the old 126x PDF file except the "65nm" -> "55nm" change. I assume they'll get around to updating it eventually.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
Originally posted by: thilan29
Originally posted by: cmdrdredd
Meh... who cares, you don't buy these cards because you want the lowest power condumption available, you'd use onboard everything for that. The performance is what really matters, not saving 10watts.

I see your point but usually a shrink would lower power consumption and I would take a card with lower power consumption any day over one with higher power consumption if performance is similar. 10w is huge if many, many people were saving that much. I'm a bit of a green person so I have to say, most electricity produced isn't clean so the less we use the better. Also, 10w less means 10w of heat less we have to cool.

I would take the card with a greater thermal envelope over over power consumption, really, my PC isnt on 24/7, the diff in power consumption would be what....$1 a week\month?

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Originally posted by: TheSnowman
It's in my livingroom, in a small case in my entertainment cabinet, next to my receiver and cable box, hooked up to a 50" plasma and a 5.1 surround sound system. I use it to record and watch TV though Media Center, play Blu-ray, HD DVD and DVD disks, and keep all my CDs ripped to it for easy access to music.

Considering that, how is it anything but a HTPC? Just because I built it to run games well too?

sounds like an htpc to me...

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: spittledip
Meh... who cares, you don't buy these cards because you want the lowest power condumption available, you'd use onboard everything for that. The performance is what really matters, not saving 10watts.

I see your point but usually a shrink would lower power consumption and I would take a card with lower power consumption any day over one with higher power consumption if performance is similar. 10w is huge if many, many people were saving that much. I'm a bit of a green person so I have to say, most electricity produced isn't clean so the less we use the better. Also, 10w less means 10w of heat less we have to cool.

The green movement makes me sick. It's hampering the movement forward of convenience and technology for many industries. It's also partially why GM and the rest are where they are, Government taxes on the vehicles that were selling (SUVs) and forcing research and development on cars nobody was buying (hybrid and e85).

That's wildly off topic though, so forgive me. I do understand what you're saying here, but in the grand scheme of things if you're buying the newest high performance part for your PC the power consumption is secondary. If it was first on the list you'd probably have some Intel IGP.

No, I think you are way way off. Most PC gamers are concerned with the heat their parts give off. I for one do not care much about wattage unless it is an obscenely high amount. I do however care about heat differences, even very small differences. Of course heat and wattage usually go hand in hand unless the part is very efficient or has good cooling.

Good heatsink and fan setup = card runs cool. Maybe I'm a minority, but I look at performance regardless of anything else.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: bryanW1995
It's in my livingroom, in a small case in my entertainment cabinet, next to my receiver and cable box, hooked up to a 50" plasma and a 5.1 surround sound system. I use it to record and watch TV though Media Center, play Blu-ray, HD DVD and DVD disks, and keep all my CDs ripped to it for easy access to music.

Considering that, how is it anything but a HTPC? Just because I built it to run games well too?

A traditional HTPC is in a small form factor and is used for nothing except movies/TV/Music. They make specific systems for this usage.

I can turn any PC into a home media box, but that doesn't make it a HTPC in tha traditional usage of the term.

Anyway that doesn't matter...my original question was why buy a GTX260 for a HTPC. A HTPC, doing nothing but media functions does not require a card of that caliber.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: SolMiester

I would take the card with a greater thermal envelope over over power consumption, really, my PC isnt on 24/7, the diff in power consumption would be what....$1 a week\month?

That's my line of thinking. Really when it comes to PC hardware I go for performance first. I don't even card how much power it uses, if it's faster and it fits my budget than that's what I'll get.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: zod96
I'm not sure where people are getting the 55 nm one is shorter from. But they are both identical.

Actually the 55nm is an inch shorter... oh wait, we were talking about the GTX 260? :confused:

:p The "new" 9800 GTX+ is an inch shorter than the 9800 GTX and the "old" 9800 GTX+.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Snarks
Can i have some reference material for that zap please? :)

Regarding the shorter "new" 9800 GTX+? Just look for them at retail. They are the ones that only have one PCIe plug.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003

A traditional HTPC is in a small form factor and is used for nothing except movies/TV/Music. They make specific systems for this usage.

I can turn any PC into a home media box, but that doesn't make it a HTPC in tha traditional usage of the term.

Anyway that doesn't matter...my original question was why buy a GTX260 for a HTPC. A HTPC, doing nothing but media functions does not require a card of that caliber.

An HTPC is what you make of it. There are no set guidelines for one. I have a standard ATX tower sitting next to my 46" LCDTV. I could record movies through media center, but I don't because I already have a DVR from my cable company. Watch Blu-Ray/HD-DVD and standard DVD's, Browse the web, check my email, and because I chose to go with a 9800GTX, I can also game. I do not have a surround sound setup yet, but that is next in line. There is no rule, written or unwritten that says you cannot or should not game on an HTPC, as well as no rules to what is should look like, what case is used, or anything else.

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003

An HTPC is what you make of it. There are no set guidelines for one. I have a standard ATX tower sitting next to my 46" LCDTV. I could record movies through media center, but I don't because I already have a DVR from my cable company. Watch Blu-Ray/HD-DVD and standard DVD's, Browse the web, check my email, and because I chose to go with a 9800GTX, I can also game. I do not have a surround sound setup yet, but that is next in line. There is no rule, written or unwritten that says you cannot or should not game on an HTPC, as well as no rules to what is should look like, what case is used, or anything else.

^

This

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Zap
Originally posted by: Snarks
Can i have some reference material for that zap please? :)

Regarding the shorter "new" 9800 GTX+? Just look for them at retail. They are the ones that only have one PCIe plug.

He was talking about the 260GTX. This thread is about the 260GTX.

edplayer

Platinum Member
Sep 13, 2002

Oh please...

like there is some centuries old tradition of how to use a HTPC and you are breaking Biblical code by playing a game on it

:roll: