Powell urges Iraq coalition partners to donate to reconstruction effort

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20040520/pl_afp/us_iraq_reconstruction&cid=1521&ncid=1480

WASHINGTON (AFP) - US Secretary of State Colin Powell (news - web sites) urged the United States' coalition partners in Iraq (news - web sites) to be generous in their financial pledges to the reconstruction effort, suggesting that in some cases that was not the case.

"This is the time to be generous and to make your pledges known," Powell said in a State Department meeting with diplomats from 32 countries present in Iraq.

"Many countries represented this morning have contributed financially to the reconstruction effort in Iraq. I urge you all to disburse your pledges quickly and I hope that your governments will consider additional assistance.

Powell said that a donors' conference set for May 25-26 in Qatar run by Japan would make Iraq's international aid needs clearer.

"A success of any kind always requires investment of this nature. If we don't do it now, up front, in the beginning, we will end up paying for later on, under less favorable circumstances.

"Reconstruction costs money," Powell said.

A donors' conference in Madrid in October yielded pledges of 33 billion dollars in assistance through 2007.

And, wasn't the Iraqi oil going to pay for the reconstruction???

Zephyr106

Banned
Jul 2, 2003
Originally posted by: conjur
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20040520/pl_afp/us_iraq_reconstruction&cid=1521&ncid=1480

WASHINGTON (AFP) - US Secretary of State Colin Powell (news - web sites) urged the United States' coalition partners in Iraq (news - web sites) to be generous in their financial pledges to the reconstruction effort, suggesting that in some cases that was not the case.

"This is the time to be generous and to make your pledges known," Powell said in a State Department meeting with diplomats from 32 countries present in Iraq.

"Many countries represented this morning have contributed financially to the reconstruction effort in Iraq. I urge you all to disburse your pledges quickly and I hope that your governments will consider additional assistance.

Powell said that a donors' conference set for May 25-26 in Qatar run by Japan would make Iraq's international aid needs clearer.

"A success of any kind always requires investment of this nature. If we don't do it now, up front, in the beginning, we will end up paying for later on, under less favorable circumstances.

A donors' conference in Madrid in October yielded pledges of 33 billion dollars in assistance through 2007.

That damn rest of the world. We invaded Iraq to protect them, and now they don't want to help with reconstruction? Sounds like a bunch of stingy egocentric bastards.

Zephyr

MegaWorks

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004

I was going to say the same thing! Do you really think that they will use the oil to reconstructe Iraq. If you find gold on the ground you would want to keep it right! not give it ;)

imported_Aelius

Golden Member
Apr 25, 2004
We shouldn't be paying any country foreign aid. So long as we provide welfare to other nations they will not learn to fend for themselves and will become dependent on us like a drug user to a controled substance.

There are other ways to assist nations that doesn't comprise of a blank checkbook policy.

Of course this assumes we aren't creating the mess in the first place.

What can I say. The G8 nations foreign policy pretty much sucks.

replicator

Oct 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Zephyr106

That damn rest of the world. We invaded Iraq to protect them, and now they don't want to help with reconstruction? Sounds like a bunch of stingy egocentric bastards.

Zephyr

Just who was the US trying to protect?

Who asked them to invade Iraq for them?

US led the invasion unilaterally. Nobody ran to them to ask them for help. More like the US imposed this war on the world, after turning its back on everyone. Now it need others now to help clean up the mess it made.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: replicator
Originally posted by: Zephyr106

Zephyr

Just who was the US trying to protect?

Who asked them to invade Iraq for them?

US led the invasion unilaterally. Nobody ran to them to ask them for help. More like the US imposed this war on the world, after turning its back on everyone. Now it need others now to help clean up the mess it made.

Might want to check your sarcasm detector.

Although, to listen to Bush, we were protecting the entire world from the "urgent threat" posed by Saddam.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I'm pretty sure Powell will have to pose in some photos first before the Europeans agree to that.