Posting from Lahaina, Maui

Jun 27, 2005
That is all... :p

I just got here. It's dark outside.

I'll actually be posting pics from Maui, Lanai, Molokai and Hawaii (big island)

Stay tuned!!!!!!!

giantpinkbunnyhead

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy

Stay tuned!!!!!!!

You idiot! Don't you know Alaskans don't hop to Hawaii until AFTER the PFD comes out??? :D

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
what a teaser thread! Now only another 5 hours for sunrise, then pictures to follow...

L

Lola

Aloha you Bastard. :p
I am so jeleous!
just out of curiosity... where are you staying on each island?
I miss hawaii more than i ever thought i would.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
We try to go at least once a year...some years we make it twice. I'd fvcking move there if I only convince my wife that the extra costs (high property cost, high utility bills, high food costs, high gasoline costs, etc.) were justified by living in "Paradise". Wages there aren't great compared to Kahleeforneeya, and work tends to be sporadic, depending on the tourist trade for most fields, and there is a LOT of competition for jobs. We're talking about going for Thanksgiving again this year.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
My wife and I spent a week in Lahaina a couple years ago. We loved it there. We stayed at the Hyatt Regency and had a full ocean view from our room.

I think the next time we go we're going to stay at the Grand Wailea though.

oboeguy

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
Post from the top of Haleakala after riding a bike all the way up then I'll be impressed. :D (yes, I have done the ride up wo0t!)

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
I spent my honeymoon there. Lovely place. Actually Kuaui was my favorite island and you aren't going there. Too bad for you. But then again a crappy place in Hawaii beats a good place on the mainland.

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: giantpinkbunnyhead
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy

Stay tuned!!!!!!!

You idiot! Don't you know Alaskans don't hop to Hawaii until AFTER the PFD comes out??? :D
I beat the rush. ;)
That and I work retail so I'm little more than a slave from PFD time until after the Super Bowl. No vacations for Whoozyer until after Feb. Then... Kauai! :D

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: LolaWiz
Aloha you Bastard. :p
I am so jeleous!
just out of curiosity... where are you staying on each island?
I miss hawaii more than i ever thought i would.

In Maui, Lahaina Shores. This is my 13th? 14th? trip over here. I LOVE it here. It's like a second home.

The other islands are day trips so I'm not staying anywhere.

On Lanai I'm going to play the Koele golf course. I've played Manele a few times but I've never been up to Koele so it should be fun.

Molokai is another golf trip. There is a ferry to both islands. I've flown around Molokai on a helicopter tour but I've never actually been there. I can't wait.

I'm flying over to the Big Island on Friday to check some things out. The last time I was there I stayed at the Royal Kona (I think) It was kind of crappy but it was cheap and the room was right over the ocean.

I'm out of here. First pics will go up tonight. (Tomorrow on the east coast)

AmigaMan

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Great pics! Need to make the thumbnails bigger though. If I had another two weeks of vacation left, I'd be there. Wife and I were in Maui this past spring and loved it. It's just so expensive to fly from the east coast :(

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Honestly, why on earth would you be posting from a laptop in Hawaii? We went for 9 days last year and I damn sure didn't take an laptop. For shame. Enjoy the most beautiful place on earth as it was intended!

Xyclone

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Originally posted by: LikeLinus
Honestly, why on earth would you be posting from a laptop in Hawaii? We went for 9 days last year and I damn sure didn't take an laptop. For shame. Enjoy the most beautiful place on earth as it was intended!

Agreed. Throw that POS in the ocean! Enjoy Hawaii! :p

AmigaMan

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Xyclone

They're useful when you have a digital camera and take lots of video and pics. We have a two gig and a one gig card and were filling it up daily. Plus it's nice to go through and categorize some of the pics before you go to bed (and for the ATOT kiddies out there, I mean AFTER i've had teh sex with teh wife).

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: AmigaMan

They're useful when you have a digital camera and take lots of video and pics. We have a two gig and a one gig card and were filling it up daily. Plus it's nice to go through and categorize some of the pics before you go to bed (and for the ATOT kiddies out there, I mean AFTER i've had teh sex with teh wife).

"We have a two gig and a one gig card and were filling it up daily."

I have a 7.2MB Digital camera. I can take 350 HQ photos on my 1GB Card. What are you doing that you are taking over 1000 photos a day? Unless you are a photographer, that's insane.

AmigaMan

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999

I have a 7.2MB Digital camera. I can take 350 HQ photos on my 1GB Card. What are you doing that you are taking over 1000 photos a day? Unless you are a photographer, that's insane.

it's mostly video that takes up the space (we have a Canon S2). But we had about 10GB from our last vacation to Maui. A lot of it was wasted looking at empty blue water waiting for the whales. A lot of pics were the same too. We also videod a lot of the Hana Hwy.

Jun 27, 2005
Meh... It's more for my family than anyone else. I thought some here would like to see too. It takes me 15 minutes to process through the pics for the day and post them up on the net. I take care of it while I'm sitting on my balcony listening to the ocean. No big deal. By the time I post up I'm done for the day. Definitely not a crimp in my vacation.

Anyway... Welcome to the worst golf course in all of Hawaii.

But it has an interesting story...

In the 1970's the Sheraton Corp built a state of the art, four star condominium resort and golf course on Molokai. It was an incredible resort complete with shops, a four star restaurant, a championship golf course, incredible ocean views and direct access to one of the best beaches in all of Hawaii.

In the 80's, like pretty much everything else in Hawaii at the time, the resort was purchased by a Japanese investment group. As with most other investments the Japanese picked up in Hawaii, they paid too much for it and by 1990 they sold the land back to the original owner, the Molokai Ranch Company.

For the next 10 years the golf course was more or less abandoned. The Molokai Ranch sold off as many of the condo units as they could but many of them sat vacant for years and fell into disrepair. A state they remain in to this day.

In 2000, MRC began to rehabilitate the resort. They reopened the front nine on the golf course and fixed up most of the common areas in the resort. Last year they reopened the back nine to boast the only 18 hole golf course on the island. The greens are immaculate. The rest of the course... well... you'll see. There isn't a golf course in Alaska with crappier fairways than this place. (And we have some SH!TTY golf courses) MRC says they intend to bring the resort back to it's former glory. We'll see. Most of the locals feel that MRC is merely dusting it off in the hopes that someone will buy it up and take it off their hands.

If you ever decide to go to Molokai and play this course, enjoy the scenery (by far the best of any course I've ever played in Hawaii) and try to avoid being attacked by wild turkeys, mongoose, mutant ducks, feral cats and other animals that have taken over the area.

Enjoy the pics... Molokai

jiwq

Platinum Member
May 24, 2001

it's mostly video that takes up the space (we have a Canon S2). But we had about 10GB from our last vacation to Maui. A lot of it was wasted looking at empty blue water waiting for the whales. A lot of pics were the same too. We also videod a lot of the Hana Hwy.

Hana highway was fun. 1 lane roads on steep cliffs ftw!
Just don't go driving around there at night time...