Posthumous Medal of Honor

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
"Tell my family I'm good with God and that I love them."

These were Sgt. 1st Class Jared Monti's final words as he died in battle.

Our Commander in Chief will present our country's highest formal thanks to his family today.

President Obama will present the nation's highest award for military valor to the family of Sgt. 1st Class Jared Monti at a ceremony Thursday afternoon in the East Room of the White House.

It is only the second Medal of Honor awarded for service in Afghanistan after nearly eight years of fighting.

Monti, a 30-year-old from Raynham, Mass., died in Afghanistan on a June night in 2006 on a mountaintop in Afghanistan, trying to save one of his soldiers during a Taliban attack.

His parents and siblings will be accepting the award on his behalf. Invited guests will include many of the soldiers who served with Monti.

Recently, Monti's comrades recalled the night he died.

He was one of 16 soldiers from the Army's 10th Mountain Division. The unit had hiked for two days over loose shale to reach a barren ridgeline in Afghanistan, hard against the Pakistan border.

Tell my family I'm good with God and that I love them.

- Jared Monti's final words before he died in battle in Afghanistan, as recalled by a comrade

They were setting up an observation post, laying the groundwork for a sweeping Army incursion into an area controlled by the Taliban.

Staff Sgt. John Hawes remembers the smell of mountain sage, and trudging along with his friend Monti, a bull of a man who was easy to talk to.

"One of the most cherished memories I have of him is the entire two-day climb up there, was all our conversations. He talked about his girlfriend back home. He talked about fishing back home off the coast in Massachusetts," Hawes says.

Monti was not so easygoing when it came to his soldiers' welfare, says Hawes. He was not afraid to step on toes to protect his soldiers.

"He had no problem going head to head with, you know, an officer" when his soldiers were caught up in minor trouble, Hawes says, or being ordered to do what Monti called "something stupid."

"Going on a patrol or taking unnecessary risk. If somebody was showing any lack of common sense, he'd put them in their place," Hawes says.

On June 21, 2006, there seemed to be little risk and few problems, until the soldiers saw a man in the valley below, looking up at them through binoculars.

Up on the ridge, the soldiers hunkered down as darkness fell in an area studded with rocks and bushes.

An Attack Like A Speeding Freight Train

They heard a noise in the pine trees in front of them. Suddenly, explosions of grenades and bursts of machine gun fire erupted, recalls Staff Sgt. Chris Cunningham.

"Branches and leaves and everything just started falling all around us from all the explosions. Everyone kind of knew we had to return fire," Cunningham says.

But the attack was so intense that most soldiers couldn't lift their heads above the rocks, Cunningham recalls. He says it was like standing next to a speeding freight train.

"Constant violence just coming at you, coming all around you, you know, enveloping you," he says.

The soldiers fired at the silhouettes in the trees, just 30 yards away. Other Taliban fighters were higher up the slope, throwing grenades at the Americans.

Cunningham says Monti grabbed his radio and calmly called for mortar fire to suppress the enemy attack.

But the mortar fire fell far behind the Taliban force, exploding harmlessly. That's when other Taliban fighters crept toward them.

"They got close enough to where you could hear them whispering," Cunningham remembers.

Within minutes, one American soldier was dead, another was wounded, and a third was missing.

The missing man was Pfc. Brian Bradbury. The soldiers started yelling for Bradbury.

"And Bradbury answered us from the far end of our position nearest the enemy," Hawes recalls.

Rescuing The Missing Man

From behind a tree stump, Cunningham yelled that he would go get Bradbury. But Monti said no.

" 'He's my guy, I'm going to get him,' " Cunningham says, quoting Monti.

Cunningham saw Monti dash from behind the safety of the rocks toward Bradbury, just 20 feet away. The other soldiers laid down covering fire.

Monti was hunched over as he ran, the men recall, and moving fast. About halfway to Bradbury, enemy fire increased, forcing Monti back a bit, behind a stone wall.

Hawes said that Monti made a second attempt as he was again forced back by the incoming gunfire.

Monti rose a third time, recalls Cunningham, but soon disappeared in a cloud of smoke and dust. "All I saw was the explosion behind him," he says.

Moments later, Hawes and Cunningham could see Monti crawling back toward them. He screamed out that he had been hit.

Unable To Save The Hero

"And he kept on saying, 'Cunny, come get me, come get me.' And it really wasn't that long at all," Cunningham remembers.

Monti was only a few feet away, but Cunningham couldn't get to his friend. The Taliban fire was still too intense, he says.

He watched as Monti grew more serene. "I just remember he said in a clear voice, very calm: 'Tell my family I'm good with God and that I love them.' "

Soon, American warplanes dropped bombs, and the Taliban force retreated. An hour after it began, the battle was over.

The soldiers wrapped Monti in a poncho, and Cunningham stood over him and said the Lord's Prayer. A helicopter came to pick up the dead and wounded.

And just before dawn, the surviving soldiers made their way back down the mountain.

I have nothing else to add. :(

0marTheZealot

Golden Member
Apr 5, 2004
I don't see anything particularly noteworthy of what he did. It sucks that he died, but considering what some WW2 soldiers did and didn't receive a medal for, I don't see the big deal here.

Dec 10, 2005
Originally posted by: 0marTheZealot
I don't see anything particularly noteworthy of what he did. It sucks that he died, but considering what some WW2 soldiers did and didn't receive a medal for, I don't see the big deal here.

Serving in the highest traditions of the armed forces - with disregard for his own life, he made 3 attempts to try and rescue his fellow soldier. Definitely Medal of Honor worthy. RIP
rose.gif

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

:roll: :|

MedicBob

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2001

Have you done more?

I agree with a medal for him. Why the WWII soldiers didn't get medals is beyond me and hard to comment on as there are no examples such as what was in the OP.

RyanPaulShaffer

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005

:roll::|:thumbsdown:

I doubt you are brave enough to do something even a fraction as courageous as what this soldier did.

RIP brave soldier :(
rose.gif

surfsatwerk

Lifer
Mar 6, 2008
Originally posted by: artikk
I don't see the point of giving a medal to someone posthumously.

Then you're stupid. His family and friends deserve to see his acts recognized by the country he died for.

RyanPaulShaffer

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: surfsatwerk
Originally posted by: artikk
I don't see the point of giving a medal to someone posthumously.

Then you're stupid. His family and friends deserve to see his acts recognized by the country he died for.

:thumbsup:

I would wager he "sees the point" in giving an Oscar to an actor posthumously.

:roll::|

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Perknose

:roll: :|
Since the beginning of World War II, the medal has been awarded for extreme bravery beyond the call of duty while engaged in action against an enemy. Arising from these criteria, approximately 60% of the medals earned during and after World War II have been awarded posthumously.

The Medal of Honor has not been awarded to any living persons in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, only posthumously. In addition, the percentage of persons receiving the medal in these wars has been significantly lower than in previous wars (one out of a million vs. one out of one-hundred thousand).

(wikipedia)

Dec 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Atreus21
Incidentally, did the guy Bradbury survive?

No, he died when the winch that a helicopter was using to hoist him up snapped - died from the fall. The snapping winch also killed a medic that was attending him. (read on Wikipedia)

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

what he did was amazing. he put his soldiers welfare above his own and tried many times to save someone.

But i do agree it pales in comparison to some others that have been awarded the medal.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The only really sad thing is there are hundreds of people worthy enough to receive a medal of honor that do not.

0marTheZealot

Golden Member
Apr 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Brainonska511

Serving in the highest traditions of the armed forces - with disregard for his own life, he made 3 attempts to try and rescue his fellow soldier. Definitely Medal of Honor worthy. RIP
rose.gif

Really? Because there were instances in WW2, Korea and Vietnam where men made much braver plunges into battle and didn't even receive a medal, nevermind the highest honor in the country. There are accounts of men becoming Aces in a day (shooting down 5 planes) and not receiving a medal, but now, operators launching drones halfway across the world are getting stripes to their chests.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

Only on a forum can you see such a disgrace. Fuck you asshole. <middle finger>

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007
I've glanced over the MOH website before, and I did so again today.

It's very difficult to not get emotional when reading the stories, and I have yet to find a recipient who, in my opinion, was undeserving.

Do any enlisted here have an opinion as to why so few medals have been awarded in the Afghanistan and Iraq campaigns? The only thing I can think of is that the KIA numbers are lower in this weird war-on-terrah limbo when compared to the full-out wars of the past. Still, I'm certain that there are too many stories of valor and gallantry most of us would consider deserving that have occurred in the past 8 years.

This takes the cake for me--you couldn't even make this up in a movie:

BAKER, THOMAS A.

Rank and organization: Sergeant, U.S. Army, Company A, 105th Infantry, 27th Infantry Division. Place and date: Saipan, Mariana Islands, 19 June to 7 July 1944. Entered service at: Troy, N.Y. Birth: Troy, N.Y. G.O. No.: 35, 9 May 1945. Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty at Saipan, Mariana Islands, 19 June to 7 July 1944. When his entire company was held up by fire from automatic weapons and small-arms fire from strongly fortified enemy positions that commanded the view of the company, Sergeant. (then Pvt.) Baker voluntarily took a bazooka and dashed alone to within 100 yards of the enemy. Through heavy rifle and machinegun fire that was directed at him by the enemy, he knocked out the strong point, enabling his company to assault the ridge. Some days later while his company advanced across the open field flanked with obstructions and places of concealment for the enemy, Sergeant. Baker again voluntarily took up a position in the rear to protect the company against surprise attack and came upon 2 heavily fortified enemy pockets manned by 2 officers and 10 enlisted men which had been bypassed. Without regard for such superior numbers, he unhesitatingly attacked and killed all of them. Five hundred yards farther, he discovered 6 men of the enemy who had concealed themselves behind our lines and destroyed all of them. On 7 July 1944, the perimeter of which Sergeant. Baker was a part was attacked from 3 sides by from 3,000 to 5,000 Japanese. During the early stages of this attack, Sergeant. Baker was seriously wounded but he insisted on remaining in the line and fired at the enemy at ranges sometimes as close as 5 yards until his ammunition ran out. Without ammunition and with his own weapon battered to uselessness from hand-to-hand combat, he was carried about 50 yards to the rear by a comrade, who was then himself wounded. At this point Sergeant. Baker refused to be moved any farther stating that he preferred to be left to die rather than risk the lives of any more of his friends. A short time later, at his request, he was placed in a sitting position against a small tree . Another comrade, withdrawing, offered assistance. Sergeant. Baker refused, insisting that he be left alone and be given a soldier's pistol with its remaining 8 rounds of ammunition. When last seen alive, Sergeant. Baker was propped against a tree, pistol in hand, calmly facing the foe. Later Sergeant. Baker's body was found in the same position, gun empty, with 8 Japanese lying dead before him. His deeds were in keeping with the highest traditions of the U.S. Army.

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

Only on a forum can you see such a disgrace. Fuck you asshole. <middle finger>

I'm sure that there are other, daily, instances of men who risk their well-being to aid a fellow soldier. I'm not too familiar with the whole military recommendation process, but I think that the words "inspiring" and "uplifting" weigh heavily.

This man put his ass within sight of sure death just to save one fellow soldier. It's in some ways similar to other recipients who threw themselves onto grenades--saving maybe 2-3 lives with their personally greatest sacrifice. You don't have to knife 50 men to death while wearing only boxers in order to inspire.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: fallout man
This takes the cake for me--you couldn't even make this up in a movie:

BAKER, THOMAS A.

Rank and organization: Sergeant, U.S. Army, Company A, 105th Infantry, 27th Infantry Division. Place and date: Saipan, Mariana Islands, 19 June to 7 July 1944. Entered service at: Troy, N.Y. Birth: Troy, N.Y. G.O. No.: 35, 9 May 1945. Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty at Saipan, Mariana Islands, 19 June to 7 July 1944. When his entire company was held up by fire from automatic weapons and small-arms fire from strongly fortified enemy positions that commanded the view of the company, Sergeant. (then Pvt.) Baker voluntarily took a bazooka and dashed alone to within 100 yards of the enemy. Through heavy rifle and machinegun fire that was directed at him by the enemy, he knocked out the strong point, enabling his company to assault the ridge. Some days later while his company advanced across the open field flanked with obstructions and places of concealment for the enemy, Sergeant. Baker again voluntarily took up a position in the rear to protect the company against surprise attack and came upon 2 heavily fortified enemy pockets manned by 2 officers and 10 enlisted men which had been bypassed. Without regard for such superior numbers, he unhesitatingly attacked and killed all of them. Five hundred yards farther, he discovered 6 men of the enemy who had concealed themselves behind our lines and destroyed all of them. On 7 July 1944, the perimeter of which Sergeant. Baker was a part was attacked from 3 sides by from 3,000 to 5,000 Japanese. During the early stages of this attack, Sergeant. Baker was seriously wounded but he insisted on remaining in the line and fired at the enemy at ranges sometimes as close as 5 yards until his ammunition ran out. Without ammunition and with his own weapon battered to uselessness from hand-to-hand combat, he was carried about 50 yards to the rear by a comrade, who was then himself wounded. At this point Sergeant. Baker refused to be moved any farther stating that he preferred to be left to die rather than risk the lives of any more of his friends. A short time later, at his request, he was placed in a sitting position against a small tree . Another comrade, withdrawing, offered assistance. Sergeant. Baker refused, insisting that he be left alone and be given a soldier's pistol with its remaining 8 rounds of ammunition. When last seen alive, Sergeant. Baker was propped against a tree, pistol in hand, calmly facing the foe. Later Sergeant. Baker's body was found in the same position, gun empty, with 8 Japanese lying dead before him. His deeds were in keeping with the highest traditions of the U.S. Army.

I have read this before more than once, but it never fails to give me chills.
rose.gif

JKing106

Platinum Member
Mar 19, 2009
RIP, SGT Monti. I'm not a Christian, but this verse has always moved me:

No one shows greater love than when he lays down his life for his friends. - John 15:13

Dec 10, 2005
Medal of Honor citation

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. Sergeant First Class Monti distinguished himself at the cost of his life while serving as a team leader with the Headquarters and Headquarters Troop, 3d Squadron, 71st Cavalry Regiment in Nuristan Province, Afghanistan on 21 June 2006. On that day, Sergeant First Class Monti was leading a mission to gather intelligence and to direct fires against the enemy in support of a squadron-size interdiction mission. While at an observation position on top of a mountain ridge, Sergeant First Class Monti?s sixteen-man patrol came under attack by a superior force consisting of as many as 50 enemy fighters. On the verge of being overrun, Sergeant First Class Monti directed his patrol to set up a hasty defensive position behind a collection of rocks. He then began to call for indirect fire from a nearby support base; accurately bringing the rounds upon the enemy who had closed to within 50 meters of his position. While still calling for fire, Sergeant First Class Monti personally engaged the enemy with his rifle and a grenade, successfully disrupting an attempt to flank the patrol. Sergeant First Class Monti then realized that one of his Soldiers was lying wounded and exposed in the open ground between the advancing enemy and the patrol?s position. With complete disregard for his own safety, Sergeant First Class Monti moved from behind the cover of the rocks into the face of withering enemy fire. After closing within meters of his wounded Soldier, the heavy volume of fire forced Sergeant First Class Monti to seek cover. Sergeant First Class Monti then gathered himself and rose again to maneuver through a barrage of enemy fire to save his wounded Soldier. Again, Sergeant First Class Monti was driven back by relentless enemy fire. Unwilling to leave his Soldier wounded and exposed, Sergeant First Class Monti made another attempt to move across open terrain and through the enemy fire to the aide of his wounded Soldier. On his third attempt, Sergeant First Class Monti was mortally wounded, sacrificing his own life in an effort to save his Soldier. Sergeant First Class Monti?s acts of heroism inspired the patrol to fight off the larger enemy force. Sergeant First Class Monti?s immeasurable courage and uncommon valor were in keeping with the highest traditions of military service and reflect great credit upon himself, 3d Squadron 71st Cavalry Regiment, the 3d Brigade Combat Team, the 10th Mountain Division (Light Infantry), and the United States Army.