Post your most annoying work moment of the day

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Big work crises don't count; only post the minor annoyances of the day.

I can't decide between the 30 emails that proceeded thusly:

OMG, RECORD IS MISSING FROM SYSTEM!
>Yeah, just update data so record appears in query
OMFG WE DON'T NEED THAT MAKE IT GO AWAY
>Other people besides you need it
MAKE THEM USE WHAT WE NEED
>No, you use what you need and they use what they need
I EMAILED OTHER CONTACT TO MAKE THIS GO AWAY
>Stop. Just ask for the record to be updated.
OMGWTFBBQQQQQQ

or

Hey, my license expired, can I get the code?
>Sure, here you go.
Which one do I buy?
>Buy? No buying. Just input the code when it prompts you
I'm in add remove programs and unrelated important software x is there; what do I do?
>What? No, just go to where it reminded you of the expiration and input the code
Do I need pro or standard?
>Can you send me a screenshot?
Oh, nevermind. I was hitting "Purchase" instead of "OK" after inputting the code.

But the day is young yet.

Aves

Lifer
Feb 7, 2001
They're all a blur at this point but rest assured I was annoyed throughout the day.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I'd say the fifth time my program crashed from lack of memory. It usually happens about 10 times per day, but it really got on my nerves early for some reason.

New computer tomorrow though.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
I didn't find it "annoying" but our admin. ass. couldn't get the CF card in the camera. She was inserting it sideways. Required IT assistance.

lurk3r

Oct 26, 2007
Guy calls from one of the unnamed new government owned companies, name withheld to protect my anonymity. He rambled for a bit, put me on hold twice as he tried to get the first question out, finally comes up with a serial number and says "some guy" in tech support told him to order the wrong part. I look up the part for him, double check that the item he is looking at is the iR model and not the iF, he responds "it shouldn't matter" and leaves it at that.

Now a bunch of thoughts go thru my head, "if it didnt matter you'd have the right part already dumbass", "if I actually listened to you I'd give you the same wrong part you already have", etc, and he puts me on hold again ... well not really hold, he shouts something at the guy across the room from him and tells me to 'hold on'.

In about 2 mins I dig up the correct part number for him, then tell him I can't actually quote it because they're still in bankrupcy (havent gotten correct credit info to us), and that I'd transfer him to someone that could.

He gets very upset, wants my name, to be sent to my boss etc.

Yet another 'god I hate ohio' call, they're all idiots and they're certain its your fault. If the guy hadn't inisted to the first guy that "it dosent matter just give me the part number" he'd have gotten the thing right in the first place.

At the end of the call, I had ticked every time he shouted instructions to someone else, it was 8 times in a 2 min conversation, and he has the balls to be pissed at me, when his company is the bankrupt one.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Originally posted by: lurk3r
Yet another 'god I hate ohio' call, they're all idiots and they're certain its your fault.

WTF does Ohio have to do with it?

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Trying to mediate a waiver issue with 2 guys from my office that are in my fantasy Hockey league. So freaking annoying.

KT

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Progress of a sort! I've been complaining about our incompetent catering director being unable to communicate clearly or being able to use spell check on our banquet event orders. So, today she gives me one written in Spanish. I read a little Spanish so, all in all, a step in the right direction. :)

lurk3r

Oct 26, 2007
Originally posted by: GeekDrew
Yet another 'god I hate ohio' call, they're all idiots and they're certain its your fault.

Thats where he's from, any call from 419 or 937, well at least 60% of them go that way, "I gave you the wrong information, lied to you and now its your fault"

As opposed to calls from indiana/kentucky, where they usually start with "y'all won't believe what I dun did", but they are at least happy about it.

Had another one today, 419 of course, there's a factor I had him look up that (X+Y) / X, I as him what its set to ... 0, I explain how thats impossible (even in ohio), and spend 5 mins repeating myself.

And yes, for those that will try to argue, x and x are both positive numbers in the real world.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Every time I walk away from one of my projects, a coworker thinks he's helping by advancing the project while I'm gone to the bathroom or lunch or whatever. When I come back, I almost always have to back the project up, correct his mistakes, and sometimes even scrap the project's progress and start over :| Both I and my manager have told him to keep his grubby little fingers off and to go mess up his own work instead, but he just fucking INSISTS on fucking my shit up. :| :| :|

I don't have authority to fire him.

xavier es

Jan 22, 2008
i'm remodeling a guest house for a woman, who can not understand why it is impossible to put a 8 foot long couch and an 8 foot long floor to ceiling cabinet on a 12 foot long wall. we have been going over this since i first framed the walls.
I even made a scale model to demonstrate this and she still does not get it.

Terabyte

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 1999
All the questions I get from people.

How do I print 6 slides per page? How do I do this or that?!

OMG..the printer isn't printing my shit.
-Be patient, your file is huge and clogging the printer tubes. so STFU and wait.
and so on...

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
there's a lady here who screams out 'bless you' every frikkin time someone sneezes. sneeze twice, and you'll here it twice in succession and so on. and it's not just a soft 'bless you'. she screams it like 'bleshyouuuu!!' 'bleshyouuu!!'

gah, that gets on my nerves

BriGy86

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
I can't pick just one and there are too many to name. A word of advice for people just about to get into IT. You're job will consist of dealing with other peoples computer problems all day every day. Proceed if you dare.

bloodugly

Golden Member
Apr 27, 2004
This makes me want to watch The IT Crowd episodes again....god I love that series :) Oh, and anybody reading this that hasn't seen it, look it up on Netflix, all the episodes are streaming.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000

Thats where he's from, any call from 419 or 937, well at least 60% of them go that way, "I gave you the wrong information, lied to you and now its your fault"

As opposed to calls from indiana/kentucky, where they usually start with "y'all won't believe what I dun did", but they are at least happy about it.

Had another one today, 419 of course, there's a factor I had him look up that (X+Y) / X, I as him what its set to ... 0, I explain how thats impossible (even in ohio), and spend 5 mins repeating myself.

And yes, for those that will try to argue, x and x are both positive numbers in the real world.

lol. K. We're not all stupid, but then again - I'm in both 614 and 740. 614 has quite a few folks that know what they're doing, but they're nonetheless outnumbered by the other 99.99999% of the population, as is the case in many areas.

I know of a few people in 419 and 937 (yes, only a few) that are of above average intelligence.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Being told to be there to start at a certain time, getting there and being told to start a 1/2 hour later... TWICE!

SacrosanctFiend

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
My most annoying work moment of every day? My direct boss is located in a time zone 13 hours ahead of me, and it's a bitch trying to get things approved, especially on Friday.

fulltilt39

Golden Member
Aug 6, 2009
hhmmm...probably when my boss seems to know from the other side of the building EVERY TIME i'm on a personal phone call and so makes the trip all the way to my otherwise somewhat secluded office to get....wait for it....a KEY (or something else equally ridiculous).

lurk3r

Oct 26, 2007

lol. K. We're not all stupid, but then again - I'm in both 614 and 740. 614 has quite a few folks that know what they're doing, but they're nonetheless outnumbered by the other 99.99999% of the population, as is the case in many areas.

I know of a few people in 419 and 937 (yes, only a few) that are of above average intelligence.

Not all, some of the best people I deal with do call from ohio, but most of the obnoxiously stupid ones are as well.

I don't mind when ppl don't know what they are doing, that's why I have a job, but when I have to spend sometimes hours proving that all the information they gave me was blatant lies it drives me crazy.

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Nik
Every time I walk away from one of my projects, a coworker thinks he's helping by advancing the project while I'm gone to the bathroom or lunch or whatever. When I come back, I almost always have to back the project up, correct his mistakes, and sometimes even scrap the project's progress and start over :| Both I and my manager have told him to keep his grubby little fingers off and to go mess up his own work instead, but he just fucking INSISTS on fucking my shit up. :| :| :|

I don't have authority to fire him.

Lock your PC? Keep a poop bucket at your desk?

NoCreativity

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
Originally posted by: xavier es
i'm remodeling a guest house for a woman, who can not understand why it is impossible to put a 8 foot long couch and an 8 foot long floor to ceiling cabinet on a 12 foot long wall. we have been going over this since i first framed the walls.
I even made a scale model to demonstrate this and she still does not get it.

How tall are the ceilings? If they are >8ft, stand the couch on end, problem solved ;)