Post Your Grocery Store Deals and Scores

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
With inflation among other factors raising food prices, it is now even more important to spend wisely on grocery items.

I have always been pretty frugal when it comes to buying food. Keep in mind I live in Canada, so things are usually more expensive here and our deals may not seem as good compared to other countries.

Today I bought pork back ribs at $2.88 per lb which are cryovac sealed (2 racks) for $21.00. Regular price is between $5.99 - $7.99 per lb

I also bought a 15 lb bag of white potatoes for $5.00. Usually 10 lb bags go for around $4.99 - $5.99 here.

While I didn't buy any, whole fresh chickens are on sale at $1.88 per lb. These are pretty big chickens (around 5 - 7 lbs). That is a good deal here.

There aren't too many good deals this week, unfortunately.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
My local market had 20% off everything, just prior to going out of business :(. Now I drive further for worse products at a higher price.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
I have none. We pretty much have only 1 grocery in store that bends us over. To go to a real chain store we have to drive 20 mins to the next town. I needed mayo and they only had the small squeeze bottle. They charged me $5.99 for it!!

• Wow
Reactions: Iron Woode

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
This was last year, but I got a bunch of jul themed scented candles from aldi dirt cheap. The supply chain was jacked, so they came in at the wrong times, and they took 50%+ off the prices. I squirreled them away, and I'm using them this year. Probably next year too.

Reactions: Iron Woode

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I remember once when I was a kid I was out shopping with my dad, and it was last date for some pork chops, so the store had simply put a minus 25kr. sticker on all the packages. So I found out that some of the packages was actually less than 25 kr., so the shop actually ended paying us money for buying the pork. The cashier looked very funny at us and called the store manager, but as he could see we had bought a lot of other food he let us get the pork with the special price. :)

Nov 17, 2019
I have a fairly wide variety of stores, but all are at least 20 miles, which means I have to plan. I check their sales on their websites and decide which direction I'll go for that trip. I have no problem buying close dated items, so I can often get some variety of milk for .99/gallon. Yesterday it was 1%, but that's OK for me. Also got big biscuits (refrigerated tubes you pop open and bake) for .99 instead of $2.50 or more.

I also have some bulk discount stores. Yesterday they had Maxwell House instant coffee for $4.00 and some Starbucks ground for brewing for $3.00/ 8 oz. bag. Got a few other things there too.

On another note, Chase Freedom Flex CC is doing 5% cash back on grocery stores for this quarter as are a few other cards.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
I rarely try to "score" at grocery stores. The amount of effort to save $25 on a $200 bill isn't worth my time - I don't have interest in comparison shopping across multiple stores and my most expensive product (fruit, meat) I generally buy at Costco.

In addition, generally the higher quality raw ingredients don't get priced well - so if you want things like free range/pasture raised eggs, organic/antibiotic free meats, etc you're going to pay a premium anyways.

Dec 10, 2005
I rarely try to "score" at grocery stores. The amount of effort to save $25 on a $200 bill isn't worth my time - I don't have interest in comparison shopping across multiple stores and my most expensive product (fruit, meat) I generally buy at Costco.

In addition, generally the higher quality raw ingredients don't get priced well - so if you want things like free range/pasture raised eggs, organic/antibiotic free meats, etc you're going to pay a premium anyways.
I agree - not shopping at multiple stores to save a few bucks. My time has value.

The most I'll do is quickly clip the virtual coupons for my local grocery store rewards/user tracking program, and glance through the flyer as I build my grocery list to see what items I should buy this week, to try and match my purchases and needs with what is discounted this week.

Reactions: Ken g6

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
What I won't do?

That tracking stuff.
Honestly for Grocery shopping, why would you care? If anything it yields them carrying more products similar to what you purchase and tailoring specific discounts to you. I don't care about shit cereal and prepackaged food deals, if this helps them tailor ads to me that already fit my purchasing then I'm all for it. At this point Grocery stores are so consolidated anyways its not like they can use the information to become any more anti competitive

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I agree - not shopping at multiple stores to save a few bucks. My time has value.

The most I'll do is quickly clip the virtual coupons for my local grocery store rewards/user tracking program, and glance through the flyer as I build my grocery list to see what items I should buy this week, to try and match my purchases and needs with what is discounted this week.
This seems like a no-brainer, but a lot of people can't be bothered! The alternative is to shop at ALDI/Trader Joe's/Costco but even they have weekly/monthly specials worth paying attention to. TV news reporters always find a person to whine on air about their several hundred dollar weekly grocery costs, but I figure these people just aren't keen on how to reduce your food costs. (I understand feeding a family isn't exactly cheap these days.)

I'm sure some of it is regional (and obviously inflation). The L.A. grocery industry is fairly competitive with many players. Unfortunately Kroger is likely to purchase Albertsons, which will almost assuredly result in higher prices at their respective supermarkets.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Wife maintains her weight loss (over 100 lbs) by eating Keto stuff. Sam's has a Keto cereal she really likes, but it's pricey. They had a seasonal "pumpkin spice" variety. Big bags of this were $14.95, but by mid-November they marked it down to clear it out as a seasonal. New price was $4.91, over $10 off. Best by date was July 2023, so I picked up 20, saving over $200

Reactions: lxskllr

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Buy 4 for $ 1.99 each, limit 4. Regularly $4.49 each. Just for my weekend snacks.
screenshot-2023-01-01-at-18-11-59-search-results-jewel-osco-png.73764

Not a deal, but last weekend at Costco - all for $121.xx in this cart. :(
Yes I've been taking pictures of my grocery purchases;

Screenshot 2023-01-06 at 16-18-18 Photo - Google Photos.png

$ 65.xx at grocery store (Jewel-Osco), Dec 10th. :oops:

Screenshot 2023-01-06 at 16-23-38 Photo - Google Photos.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-06 at 16-23-38 Photo - Google Photos.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-06 at 16-23-38 Photo - Google Photos.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 1

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
King Oscar sardines, Mediterranean-style is $2.50 at Walmart and Amazon.

Harris Teeter and I speculate other Kroger-owned stores offer red salmon at $6.99 or something, although the insides look rougher than a Red Salmon in a Rubinstein can.

Giant Food, a regional chain, had some Endangered Species chocolate for 1.72 for a 3oz bar recently.
Whole Foods had Bubbies sauerkraut for $7.29 for those large glass containers.
--------------
My mom never bought orange juice at full price. Always at 2.50. What used to be 64oz got shrinkflated to 59oz years ago. It's probably why soda was a very infrequent drink in the house.

And sometimes...the best deal is to not purchase at all and just not eat anything for 24-48 hours.

Nov 17, 2019
My health insurance plan added a monthly $50 'healthy food' benefit this year. Got my card today and found a list of eligible items and participating stores. Use it or lose it each month though, no accumulation of unused amounts.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I have none. We pretty much have only 1 grocery in store that bends us over. To go to a real chain store we have to drive 20 mins to the next town. I needed mayo and they only had the small squeeze bottle. They charged me $5.99 for it!!
You can make your own mayo (I've done it) with basically oil and eggs and a blender. I buy my mayo now at Costco, 1/2 gallon bottles when they on sale. I transfer to two quart jars and put in the fridge.

I've been getting most of my groceries at Costco. Rarely buy processed food. I get mostly organic produce there, things like rice, beans, flour, oil... all kinds of stuff, but almost all is edible. I have gotten many non-food items there but most times I go it's only for groceries (I go every 2 weeks for the most part). I buy gas there too, but am driving around 500 miles/year, so that's rare.

Costco has many basic things at competitive prices, including spices and herbs, what seems to me a great variety of cheeses, dairy, I'm not all that hard to please, mostly I don't have fancy tastes. I don't buy their prepared stuff ever. I pick up on the free samples, that's fun. I wear a mask in the place!

If Costco doesn't have the grocery item I want, I'll pick it up at Trader Joes (a lot of their produce is competitively priced) or my local indy super market, which has a very strong produce section.

When I get home from one of these every other week shopping junkets (just about the only time I use my car), I put it all away, and later enter each item I bought and the price and perhaps some notes in my database. I can look up pretty much any food item I bought, see where and when I bought it and for how much. I do that for all online purchases too, of anything.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Just picked 4 of these up for $3.50 each along with a bunch of junk food that was on sale for super cheap. Christmas related stuff and what not. Couldn't resist.

I bought it because of the mini cast iron pan more than anything. $3.50 for a mini cast iron pan, why not lol.
I got this at Walmart (online, was shipped to me free with some other stuff) in April 2021:

Walmart - Ozark Trail 8" Cast Iron Skillet $4.82

I like it, use it not infrequently. It's a cheapy but it's functional. A bit lighter than others. Bought it because I dropped my former 8" C.I. skillet and it broke.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Those little pans would probably be good for making little cornbreads.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Also got big biscuits (refrigerated tubes you pop open and bake) for .99 instead of $2.50 or more.

On another note, Chase Freedom Flex CC is doing 5% cash back on grocery stores for this quarter as are a few other cards.
I don't buy those biscuit rolls anymore. Lately I've been making biscuits from scratch and baking them in my toaster oven on a teflon sheet I cut specifically to fit in there some years ago. I oil the spots where the dough goes (4 biscuits).

My recipe:

3 oz. milk
0.35 oz. oil
3 oz. flour (either white or 50-50 with whole wheat)
1 teaspoon baking powder
Salt

Yes, my Chase Freedom and Discover cards both have 5% cash back on groceries this quarter.