Post your data backup strategy

ChambersMonroe

Feb 12, 2013
I just recently revised my backup plan and I'm pretty happy with it, but I'm always looking to improve it. So I figured I'd see what you guys are doing.

-What do you backup?
-How often?
-What backup software do you use (if any)?
-Any other important info you want to add

Here's mine:
#1 - I am using Cobian Backup 11 for backing up EVERYTHING on my data partition. (Weekly differential + 1 Full every 3 months)

#2 - I use Seagate DiscWizard to make an image of my OS partition (I do this rarely, usually immediately after a fresh OS + essential apps install).

#3 - Daily incremental backup of My Documents + 1 full backup per month (this also gets backed up redundantly in #1)

All of this is backed up to an external HDD and then around every 6 months I duplicate it onto another HDD that is kept offsite. Thats pretty much it!
I'm not really into cloud storage, but I do use dropbox for temporary stuff.

Mushkins

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2013
Everything important is automatically copied to my server via the built in windows backup utility on a regular basis. Every few months I take the stuff I *really* dont want to lose (old tax docs, legal papers, etc) and toss them on a thumb drive that gets dumped into my safe deposit box at the bank.

But I don't really have much that I truly can't live without if a drive craps out :)

nickbits

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2008
I backup all my important stuff (about 25GB) to Amazon S3 once a week (automated) with custom software I wrote.

I don't keep image backups of any of my machines.. I can reinstall everything in a couple hours so it isn't worth it.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I'm not sold on, nor do I really trust, cloud-based storage. To that end, I use a 3-way backup system...

1) Back up to internal HDD using Acronis backup (full method, not incremental) every 3 days;
2) Back up to external portable HDD using Acronis backup (full method) every 3 days, roatating between 2 different HDDs with the 'off' disk in the fire safe;
3) Individual files backed up on 2 different USB drives, 'off' disk in safe;
4) Individual files also placed on backup laptop.

Foolproof? Probably not in every instance, but I think workable in most 'emergency' applications (fire, theft, electrical surge, failed drive.) I plan to add a 3rd portable HDD and USB drive that I will rotate into a safe deposit box every 3rd cycle.

My primary purpose is to safeguard my personal data files (photos, video, documents, email) and my business files (photos, QuickBooks, documents, email.)

Dec 10, 2005
I have W7 backup my files to another internal drive that is specifically for that weekly. I also copy stuff to an external drive about once a month. And I have it all duplicated to my laptop.

yinan

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2007
1. Use Windows backup to backup to a network share that is a VM.
2. Backup VM using VEEAM to another storage array.

Trey22

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2003
Backup to a 1TB external drive.

1. Complete Acronis image of c: the first of every month.
2. Copy of d: (data drive, docs/pics/vids/downloads) the first of every month.

I really need to pickup another external drive that I can store offsite.

Last edited:

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
SSD array imaged to external SSD manually every once in a while, files synched to thumb drive as I feel necessary. Images on external SSD mirrored to a old external dino drive (a 120 MB/s 7200 USB 3.0 2.5" GoFlex Pro).

Full partition backup or restore takes less than 2 minutes limited by the sequential speed of the single SSD on USB 3.0.

Last edited:

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
Windows 7 backup (windows 8) full image daily over network.
Crashplan (for now).

Problem is last two failures were catastrophic with no smart warning. Intel X25-M's no less. I must be the only person on the planet to have 4 die on my own machines (work/home). Everyone else in the office has has superb luck lol. Damn Nargles.

So when all your junk is busted, the primary two points are ability to restore to a known good point quickly, and reliably.

BESR 2010(business) and its norton counterpart are superior to acronis. I run 60+ backups full encyrpted every night 7 days a week. always restored in less than an hour over network (!!). Norton version just ditches AES-256 and some other fancy stuff like ftp a second copy and split it up. Home version of BESR2010.

for VM's, speak no more than Veeam. It is effin solid man. I've had to restore a very large VM and it was just one click.

I am not a big fan of replication, i prefer Disk to disk to (usb) disk for offsite rotation.

Just remember on the last hop, the usb disk, use 7zip rar and split it up then, use PAR2 and make parity so if you get a bad sector you can work around it. Big external drives are meant to be scrubbed, not sit around powerless. They will bit rot unlike LTO tapes if you archive them.

notposting

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2005
WHS nightly.
Few scattered cloud things, but not enough.

Need to work on a decent offsite plan.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
-What do you backup? The entire hard drive
-How often? 4-6 months
-What backup software do you use (if any)? Macrium Reflect

I backup the entire drive via a clone to another drive that I don't plug in often. Then I back up to an external drive. Then I make copies of important data with DVD -R disks. Soon to be BlueRay.

lambchops511

Apr 12, 2005
I backup all my important stuff (about 25GB) to Amazon S3 once a week (automated) with custom software I wrote.

I don't keep image backups of any of my machines.. I can reinstall everything in a couple hours so it isn't worth it.

How can you afford the bandwidth? Wouldn't that take several days to upload? Or do you live in Japan or something...

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
How can you afford the bandwidth? Wouldn't that take several days to upload? Or do you live in Japan or something...

Afford bandwidth? That is not much data to upload. Microupdates don't make it as hard, it does not update already updated files. Its not like its 25gigs of new data.

Most people in the USA don't have caps :p

JonathanYoung

Aug 15, 2003
I make sure I have at least 2 copies of data that I care about on separate hard drives, and separate geographical locations if possible. Right now I have my data in 3 places, but 2 of them are thousands of miles away so the longer I'm away the more out of sync the data will be. In my immediate geographical location I have portable 2.5" drives with duplicate copies of my data. To be extra safe, I back up my most important data onto BD-Rs every few months just in case sunspots or something destroy all magnetic storage on the planet.

I use batch files containing multiple robocopy /mir commands to sync my data, always after I change anything. Since I'm so OCD about it, it serves me well. For the BD-Rs, I just assign the files manually in imgburn.

Last edited:

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Basically all my stuff isn't that important. Yes it sucks writing your CV from scratch, loosing old tax data and so forth but it's not like I would lose money or so. Pictures are probably the most important things I have.

- CV and other relatively important docs-> online in email storage

- Backup of data to USB Hardrive with SyncToy every now and then (weeks-month)

- OS backup with acronis every now and then (weeks-month)

That's it.

ChambersMonroe

Feb 12, 2013
Basically all my stuff isn't that important. Yes it sucks writing your CV from scratch, loosing old tax data and so forth but it's not like I would lose money or so. Pictures are probably the most important things I have.

- CV and other relatively important docs-> online in email storage

- Backup of data to USB Hardrive with SyncToy every now and then (weeks-month)

- OS backup with acronis every now and then (weeks-month)

That's it.

Fairly minimal, but still safer than the average person.

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
-What do you backup?
My Backup folder, which contains everything that needs to stay safe plus whatever I need to re-build system from scratch. I probably should do images of C to save myself the grief of re-installing from scratch, but I am too lazy. SSD failures are too rare to bother (in my experience at least) and other things like malware infections are not an issue if you run a LUA. There is also some important stuff on SkyDrive, which I don't bother to put in the Backup folder.

-How often?
Daily delta copy.

-What backup software do you use (if any)?
Synkron

Backup folder is on D drive, and is backed up to E (which is an external drive)

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
I have in effect, 3 computers, one being a laptop. Each one has duplicate OS drives and a data drive. The data drives are all sync'd by LAN. That means there are three copies of each. The boot/OS drives are switched weekly. Each machine has a complete reserve boot drive ready to go at any sign of trouble.

The duplicate drives were created by Acronis TI's clone function. I call all of this "planned redundancy." My drive changeover day is usually Tuesday.

I have followed this scheme for over 6 years.

readymix

Jan 3, 2007
once a month system image with macrium alternating between onsite and offsite drives(4 pc's). once a week flash drive for important files and folders, imaged with macrium. dump to the cloud as a temporary store as needed.

hot swap tray, the cloud and macrium=easy

Last edited:

sequoia464

Feb 12, 2003
I have 4 drives -

C (raided SSD's) for Windows gets backed up via windows backup weekly to G: which is an external HDD
I keep Office on here as well as a few other programs

D (raided SSD's) is where I keep My work programs and all of my output and documents
I Copy this three times Daily to my K drive (raided SSD's)
This is also copied at the end of each day to the external HDD

I use Nova Backup - got tired of Acronis screwing with my system.

I like Charlie98's method of keeping a spare drive rotated weekly into a safe - looking in to implementing that also.

Last edited:

miketen587

Oct 2, 2012
None of my stuff is absolutely essential, but obviously I'd rather be able to easily recover than not. Thus, mine is very simple.

Windows 7 backup once a week to an internal 500gb HDD. I create a system image of my c drive and a backup of my media drive

MrWizzard

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
Currently have a few computer that do the following.

Every 5 minutes a snapshot is taken, incremental, to backup server.

Backup Server pushes to offsite every night. Offsite keeps daily backups for 1 month, weekly for 2 month and then monthly for pretty much forever.

I use Doyenz.

Happy with them so far as everything is automated and once its set up I don't have to worry about it. They monitor it and let me know if a backup is missed.