Post pics of your backyard

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
big back yard huh??? just wait. hehehehe..

stupid dsl, and 128k upload.
or, maybe just stupid me and 1600x1200 pics.
:D

MIKE

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: Sysadmin
Originally posted by: FoBoT
we are going to sign the final offer to buy this house in two hours

my future big @ss backyard

I hope you have a rider :D

Sysadmin

my brother in law is a professional landscaping manager , he said for 3 acres (the entire lot is 3.8) to get a rig with at least a 60" cutting width.
tractors with that large of mowing width are fairly expensive. i was thinking before talking to him we could just get one of the larger riding lawn mowers, say in the $1000-$2000 range, but at that price you only get like ~40" cut .

unless i get lucky and find a deal on a used garden tractor/mower, i am probably going to have to spend $3k-$5k if i get either a 54" or 60" width mower :Q

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
my pics are up now.

fobot, we have like 5 acres, but half of it is across the river, so we mow 3 acres. we use a 54" riding mower, takes about 1.5 hours to cut it. very nice john deere. not zero turn though. id suggest getting one of those walk behind landscape mowers as they give you a lil workout, unless you get the stand on pedestal type thingy, and plus they cut very nice, and arent to hard to use. and zero turn radius is nice

MIKE

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: nourdmrolNMT1
my pics are up now.

fobot, we have like 5 acres, but half of it is across the river, so we mow 3 acres. we use a 54" riding mower, takes about 1.5 hours to cut it. very nice john deere. not zero turn though. id suggest getting one of those walk behind landscape mowers as they give you a lil workout, unless you get the stand on pedestal type thingy, and plus they cut very nice, and arent to hard to use. and zero turn radius is nice

MIKE

can you tell me the model of your mower? i have been looking at the john deere web site and some others, kabutto and whatever

your rig sounds just right, as long as it won't take all day to mow, it will be ok by me. i plan on paying my oldest daughter to mow it, we'll see how long she lasts.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
gx345

thats it. its one NICE mower though.

pshaw, pay your daughter, my dad just tells me to mow it and i mow it. what really sucks, is when we go across the river to mow like 6 acres, and cant go fast, as there are a LOT of rocks, and its thick. so that takes like 4 hours.

MIKE

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
My back yard isn't photogenic. The charred remains of the garage haunt one corner. The grass is all dead because of the season. It's just not very pretty.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: FoBoT
my brother in law is a professional landscaping manager , he said for 3 acres (the entire lot is 3.8) to get a rig with at least a 60" cutting width.
tractors with that large of mowing width are fairly expensive. i was thinking before talking to him we could just get one of the larger riding lawn mowers, say in the $1000-$2000 range, but at that price you only get like ~40" cut .

unless i get lucky and find a deal on a used garden tractor/mower, i am probably going to have to spend $3k-$5k if i get either a 54" or 60" width mower :Q

I used to mow lawns of 3 acres in about 25-30 minutes. I had a 30" (yes, 30") tractor. I connected 4 24" push mower decks to a towbar that allowed independent articulation of each deck. It had quck disconnects on each deck so I could tear it apart easily (under 2 minutes IIRC) to reconfigure it for different tasks and grass patterns (yes, some people wanted that crosshatch pattern) or to toss the assembly in my garage. It had overlap between each deck of about 2", including the 30" of the tractor. I painted the decks and tractor black and white so they all matched and looked good.

It would cut a swath over nine feet wide per pass, and cost less than $300 total. (bought 2 '70ish ariens tractors to build the tractor, and the decks were all ones I garbage picked and repaired, then painted, and assembled with flat aluminum stock. It actually looked professional.)