Possibly very dumb question about A/V recievers

scootermaster

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 2005
Is it possible to route non-component video inputs to the component/monitor output? Cuz as best as I can tell it doesn't work. In fact, the only time I can see RCA/Svideo inputs at all is through the "monitor" output, which is supposed to be used for things like on screen setup and whatnot. DVDs, which are input through component work fine, but it'd be nice to have everything (DVD, VCR, PS2) routed to my TV through one output cable. Well, okay, three output cables, but you get the idea.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
RTFM to see if the receiver upconverts the signal...some do and some do not...

JustinGoodie

Dec 12, 2002
I've got a very similar reciever (Denon AVR-982/2802) mine does component video switching as well as S-video. When I got mine I wondered the same thing, but it simply doesn't; it just functions as a switch and doesn't up/down convert.

I wish it did though, it sure would be nice to be able to see the onscreen setup and volume and stuff without needing to change my TV to a different input. nearly everything i watch is through the component video (DVD, PS2). the only thing i ever use the S jack for is playing stuff off my computer and changing settings on the reciever via onscreen menus.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
"The signals input to the color difference (component) video jacks are not output from the VIDEO output jack (yellow) or the S-Video output jack.
In addition, the video signals input to the VIDEO input (yellow) and S-Video input jacks are not output to the color difference (component) video
jacks."

= you don't have upconversion.

Also, monitor output is not "supposed to be used for things like on screen setup and whatnot", that's just saying that your Denon can't do the OSD throught Component.

Monitor output is what you're supposed to use for all s-video and composite sources. Even your component output says "monitor".

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
In my past experience passing video through a receiver has caused "noise" on screen.

Don't know though, I have Denon now myself but haven't tried it on this one.