Possibly picking up this gaming rig today...

Casual Swift

Aug 19, 2010
Hi again guys,

I posted earlier this month about getting a gaming system. I've been looking around and pricing things out, but I recently made a deal with a dude to trade my dell studio plus cash for this setup he has... Please let me know what you think. I might be going to meet him after work today to pick it up. As follows...

Antec ultimate gamer 900 case
4gb crosair xms-3 ddr3 ram
500gb hard drive
nvidia geforce 9800gt ocx with thermointellegince
windows vista ultimate 64bit ( instillation disk included oem version)
Intel i5 750 quad core cpu at 2.67 ghz
asus p7p55d motherboard
rocketfish 550w power supply
Razer lycosssa keyboard
Razer deathadder mouse
head rush vibration headset

So right away I will be switching to windows 7. Anything else you guys would comment on? The trade is my studio 1735 plus 200 cash.

What kind of performance can I expect from this machine?

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
Specs on your Dell Studio? That's going to determine whether or not the extra $200 is justified. Make sure to include things like integrated or dedicated graphics, screen size, resolution, etc.

That desktop isn't bad, but it isn't screaming either. The biggest selling points are the i7 750 and the P55 motherboard, which aren't very old. The 9800 GT isn't a bad card, but it has been pushed into the "mid range" by recent, more powerful cards - it should be able to handle most modern games, but expect to turn some or most settings down to medium, depending on the game. My main concern is that 550w Rocketfish Power Supply. It could be decent, or it could be junk - depends who the OEM is.

Overall, it's not a bad gaming setup, though it looks like you're going to have to add a monitor as well.

Casual Swift

Aug 19, 2010
The specs on my Dell Studio 1735

Intel Dual core T3200 @ 2.00GHz
3.00GB Ram
230GB HD
Basic Intel 965 (ßor something like that) Graphics chipset
17”, 1920 x 1200 Resolution (Glossy)
Backlit Keyboard
Fingerprint Scanner
Vista 32bit
SD Reader

As for a monitor, I’m going to run my Samsung 28” LCD TV for now as I have it all setup at my desk for the xbox right now. I’ll use a DVI to HDMI connection and see how that works…

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
It'll be a huge step up in terms of gaming (even with the older graphics card), so as long as you won't miss the portability of your laptop and your only goal is gaming, it doesn't sound like a bad deal.

Chapbass

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004
That rocketfish will be able to handle that 9800 fine, but I'd consider trying to trade up if you want to throw in something like a 460gtx.

Casual Swift

Aug 19, 2010
Other uses will be music, internet, iphone connectivity, microsoft suite, and, well that's about it.

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
Like I said, if you don't care about the portability of the laptop and mainly care about the gaming power of the machine, that desktop will be a huge step up for you. Don't let the guy walk all over you in the deal, though, as many people prefer laptops these days and wouldn't want to buy a desktop (us computer gamers are really the biggest market for desktops these days, IMO). The tower + accessories for the laptop + $200 doesn't sound that bad, but walk away from the deal if he suddenly changes his tune and decides he wants $300-400 extra instead.

Casual Swift

Aug 19, 2010
Well I got it!! :cool: Everything went really well... he showed me how well it ran mw2 and I was more than impressed. Just finally got everything updated and my network driver installed. I'm very happy and felt both of us got what we were after. I'm installing sc2 as we speak... =D