Possibly New Information on The Next Generation Ryzen Threadripper

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Not really anything new there, and I doubt any of us have any concrete information on speeds and prices. Basically it is just stating that next gen threadripper on 12nm should come a bit later this year, but that was already expected. When exactly, how much and performance is yet to be seen.

Matt Montera

May 11, 2018
Not really anything new there, and I doubt any of us have any concrete information on speeds and prices. Basically it is just stating that next gen threadripper on 12nm should come a bit later this year, but that was already expected. When exactly, how much and performance is yet to be seen.
oh ok thats what I thought

Gideon

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
I started to wonder ... what if AMD uses their Epyc 3000 Embedded processors Die for some Threadripper 2 models?

I mean, it has 16 cores, 4 memory channels, 64 PCI-e lanes all on a single die. Sure the clock speeds are low, but these are also probalby due-to TDP and form-factor.

Pros: There would be no need for dummy-dies, huge inter-die interconnects, etc. Latency between the two complexes could also be improved.
Cons: It seems to be on the 14nm process. Such a small die on that huge socket would probably be bad for heat dissipation.

There are also versions with 2 memory-channels but those only seem to have up to 8 cores. Otherwise putting 2 of those chips on a single package could potentially allow Threadrippers with 24 or 32 cores.

Probably won't happen, but would be soooo cool if it did (The TDP seems to allow that, and there definitely are usecases for such chips).

It shouldn't really take any market-share from Epyc, as it doesn't have 8 channels or 128 PCI-E lanes, nor is it rack-mounuted.

Gideon

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
AMD themselves seems to show that in their material:

zenbedded-680x329.jpg

EDIT: Never mind should have payed closer attention. Wiki-chip even mentions, that the 12+ core systems have 2 dies :(

I still think that in order for Threadripper 2 to really shine, it could really use a 24 core version, but there doesn't seem to be a good way of achieving that with current setup.