Possible to watch tv shows recorded on a Windows Media Center PC from another PC?

Discussion in 'Audio/Video & Home Theater' started by statik213, Mar 13, 2010.

1. statik213

statik213 Golden Member

If I setup PC A with TV tuners and use it as a dvr, is it possible to watch recorded shows from another pc/laptop? Does windows media player stream from wmc?

2. erwos

erwos Diamond Member

Yes, except for CableCard recordings. And if you don't know if it's a cablecard, it's not.

3. piasabird

piasabird Lifer

How does the recording know it is from a cable card box? It that something that the cable card writes onto the WMA from the Operating system or what?

Some TV's like Internet TV's are claiming they can play WMA from the PC over your network. I wonder what kind of security they use?

This is a big thing from Samsung playing content over wireles or wired networks.

4. Modelworks

Modelworks Lifer

You can stream the files to anything from another pc to a set top box. I streamed a 9GB, 30 minute file to my WDTV Live player to test throughput of my network. I recorded it with Windows MCE off a tv tuner OTA signal.

Windows 7 outputs files in a new format called WTV which is the old ms-DVR format with a few changes. There is a simple program to convert to the old format so everything can read it. It doesn't require transcoding or anything like that, it just changes a few bits around to make it work with more players.

One of the reasons things like Netflix support windows MCE natively is because MS has built in DRM to the software. The drivers for tv tuners also have DRM built in , even the OTA tuner drivers have it. A local broadcaster can set the broadcast flag and when the signal is received it tells the pc if it can be viewed, viewed and recorded, viewed recorded copied, or totally blocked. It does this at the driver level.

Cable card works the same way. Even your LCD tv has it built into its firmware. So far broadcasters are not using it but they could at any time to block things like sports.

5. Fallen Kell

Fallen Kell Diamond Member

Win7 knows if it is a cable card or not and when recording, it puts DRM on the cablecard recordings... I don't think it will take a long time until someone cracks the DRM, but that is technically illegal. Thus there is no legal way to view cablecard recordings on another PC.

6. kalrith

kalrith Diamond Member

Using a cable box connected to a Hauppauge HD PVR would get around this, right?