Possible to keep your nonstick cookware for more than 6 months?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
I've got a set of Circulon pots and pans. They're about 4 years old and doing great.

*Never use metal utensils
*Never use higher than medium heat, 3/4 heat if only for a short while.
*Hand wash only -- this saves the aluminum on my pans, not the non stick surface

I even use the green sided scrub sponges with no ill effect.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Apparently, my mother bought a set of Revere cookware about 20, 25 years ago. These warhorses still cook beautifully, despite being scratched.

It's all about detail and paying attention when you cook. Yes, she also has a non-stick griddle that she uses often, and it does have some scratches (mostly my fault), but it still cooks well.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Ornery
When you find yourself having to use special plastic utensils and extra care and scrubbing with your 'non stick' cookware, don't you stop and wonder what's the point? I saw my parents go through that with their Teflon stuff, and decided to skip the whole non-stick thing. We purchased a set of Revere cookware 25 years ago and it's still good as new. I can use 50 grit emery cloth on it if I want to! It's no more trouble to grab a Brillo than a green & yellow pad if the need arises.
I agree, and with all the questions arising about the safety of teflon...

I'm going to buy a nice stainless steel cookware set.

grillmasterP

Apr 2, 2000
If you have the Calphalon with the non-stick coated interior - you may be scrubbing too abrasively with the scotch brite (green) side of sponge ( I have not had a problem using scotchbrite on my non stick cookware but have noticed that it is a bit too abrasive for various non-stick bakeware & nonstick rice cookers) - Over longer period of use you could be scuffing the surface- Although a scotchbrite pad works wonders for the hard-anodized series.
For the non-stick interiors- use a plastic scraper (99 cents) also, I have found using a normal sponge with softscrub works fine

Pulled from Calphalon's website RECOMMENDED CLEANING PRODUCTS

Nonstick Surfaces

Recommended Cleaners
- Dish liquids intended for hand-washing such as Dawn or Joy. (Do NOT use dish detergents made for use in the dishwasher.)
- Soft Scrub® with bleach, Bon Ami®
Recommended Cleaning Pad
- Dobie® pad
DO NOT USE*
Abrasive cleansers or cleaning pads, oven cleaners or other caustic cleaning solutions, baking soda, automatic dishwasher detergent, liquid bleach, liquid household cleaners used for floors, porcelain, etc.

LittleWolf

Feb 28, 2001
Try using a good scrubber. There are scrubbers which are specially made to be non-scratch on Teflon. use those. Also use only wooden or plastic spatulas spoons etc ..

Apr 5, 2000
You need to use a good amount of oil even on a non stick pan. I usually drop some in, then use a paper towel and kind of even it out across the surface. Use wood or plastic on the surface, and when you're done cooking leave it on a different burner to cool (do not immediately soak it). You should be able to throw some water on there and just easily clean it off