Question Possible to fit a fan in this open area on my case?

thatsright

Diamond Member
May 1, 2001
Hi All. Just built a new pc and man oh man, that i7-13700k CPU gets hot and the more airflow the better. I have an older case that is doing well, but I'd like to see if I can fit a fan on the front of the case above my DVD-RW drive. The open space is 145mm wide x 80mm height. Any possibilities here? There aren't any places to screw it in. But I could literally just glue it in if need be. Not elegant, but effective. If you have a link to something I can check out, I'd appreciate it! And for the love of god, NO RGB stuff. :)

1711556042506.png

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
If you remove the optical drive then it would make it more possible. 80mm fans make a ton of noise compared to a 120/140. The other option would be buy a case designed for airflow if that's an issue. I went with a FD Torrent on my current build because it's compact but also packs 2 180mmm fans on the front and has room for a couple of 120/140's if I get creative in mounting them.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
What temps are you getting? Idle should be ~30C, you'll probably see ~90C+ when running benchmarking software. During typical use you might see ~70C depending on what your doing. These temps are "normal". Today's components use a lot more power than those of the past and therefore generate a lot more heat.

Just out of curiosity what case do you have? Perhaps there is a way to move some things around to find space for a 120mm fan. As Tech Junky mentioned smaller fans are louder as they have to spin faster to provide the air flow. Todays cases are designed with today's components in mind. Most have room for 6-10 fans. But even with all those fans your components may only see a slight decrease in temps. There are other options to reduce temps as well, underclocking slightly may drop temps a good bit, same with applying a power limit. You could also try undervolting.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
While pushing more air into the case isn't a bad thing...it's not likely to make much of a difference for your CPU temps. Looks like an air cooler back there...what is it? One fan or two?

Dec 10, 2005
While pushing more air into the case isn't a bad thing...it's not likely to make much of a difference for your CPU temps. Looks like an air cooler back there...what is it? One fan or two?
Indeed. The key question is what is the current HSF situation?