Possible switch from ATT to Verizon

Brian Stirling

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
I've been thinking about getting the new Note 4 and that's forced me to consider switching carriers as well. At present I have a company provided iP5S through ATT and also a personal HTC One that is also with ATT. I get a discount for my personal phone because of my company phone -- about 20%.

OK, so today I get an email from my company informing us that the company has decided to switch to Verizon and that this is going to happen within the next couple weeks -- WOW...

So that begs the question -- does Verizon offer discounts for personal phones like ATT does and if so, about how much is it? My current plan with ATT cost me $89.68 and the discount is $18.04. The plan gives me 5GB of data with tethering, 450 minutes of talk, and pay per use text. So, without the discount I'd be paying $107.72 give-or-take.

How much would a comparable plan cost with Verizon? What are my best plan options with Verizon if I use about 100 minutes of talk, very few texts, but 3GB-5GB per month with tethering.

Brian

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
You can check your eligibility here: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/employee/eleuLanding.jsp I switched to Verizon from AT&T yesterday and am going through same process right now. I signed up for a 1GB of data plan, but I'll upgrade it probably as soon as the discount goes through. I had the 20% discount with AT&T before that.

EDIT: site is giving me problems right now, but as soon as it goes through I'll let you know what they are giving me in terms of discount and plan price.
We’re experiencing system problems, please Contact Us to validate your employment.

Last edited:

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
1.Get your free Verizon work phone/plan
2.Buy an Att sim and pay 45/month for unlimited everything(well 5 gig data then throttled after) and use your personal phone
3.profit

Assuming your personal phone is rooted you can tether for no additional cost

Brian Stirling

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
1.Get your free Verizon work phone/plan
2.Buy an Att sim and pay 45/month for unlimited everything(well 5 gig data then throttled after) and use your personal phone
3.profit

Assuming your personal phone is rooted you can tether for no additional cost

The thing is, my experience with ATT has been awful for that last year and that, more than anything, had me looking to dump ATT -- the release of the new Note 4 was just the recent spur to do it. When I got my first company provided iPhone (iP4) 3 years ago ATT was actually pretty good, and when I picked up the HTC One 18 months ago it was still pretty good, but not long after that I noticed ATT getting worse with the last 9 months being terrible so I have little desire to stay with them.

Turns out, having a bunch of people on your network hammering it with heavy data use maybe isn't so go for user experience.

I've been on Sprint as well and they were ALWAYS terrible so I won't be going back there any time soon. The only major carrier I haven't had yet is TMobile but, frankly, they're not in nearly the same league as ATT and Verizon for coverage and since I travel 85% of the time I can't afford to have a carrier that's OK in one area but non-existent in others.

So, that kind of brings me back to Verizon so getting the best plan with any and all discounts is what I'm looking for.

Brian

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I meant att sim for Straight Talk but I suppose it doesn't matter since you have issues with att anyway

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
ELEU discounts vary by employer and the site won't necessarily be updated for a new company right away. I know my wife gets 18% off through the state since she is a teacher.

Brian Stirling

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
ELEU discounts vary by employer and the site won't necessarily be updated for a new company right away. I know my wife gets 18% off through the state since she is a teacher.

I've pinged my company on this but don't expect any feedback until next week some time. I expect there will be a plan of one sort or another that should give me a 10%-20% discount -- we'll see.

What other discounts are possible? Is there a discount for switching carriers to Verizon? I'll probably buy the Note 4 with a 2 year contract so anything the lowers the purchase price would be nice.

Brian