Possible Problem with PCI Express 2.0

orinb

Mar 18, 2010
I just purchased a new video card (xfx hd5770) and tried putting it in my pc last night. First the video card fan sounds like its in super turbo mode, then slows down followed by an unusually long pause and a series of clicks from the video card. Finally the pc will post and goes into windows. Everything seems good but eventually I get a blue screen of death. I remove the video card and the problem disappears.

In checking my mobo stats I realize I don't actually have PCI express 2.0 on my mobo:eek:..... So a mobo with 2.0 can use a video card with 1.0 but not vice versa correct?

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Shouldn't be a problem, although some motherboards I think had some issues, but it would be combination specific. You would need to check out your specific motherboard for issues which others have noted.

Are you sure that power wise you have a sufficient PSU and that the power connector(s) (6-pin PCIe connector) are all hoked up? Have you tried different drivers? (Motherboard and graphics card). Are you using the latest BIOS?

Seero

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
I just purchased a new video card (xfx hd5770) and tried putting it in my pc last night. First the video card fan sounds like its in super turbo mode, then slows down followed by an unusually long pause and a series of clicks from the video card. Finally the pc will post and goes into windows. Everything seems good but eventually I get a blue screen of death. I remove the video card and the problem disappears.

In checking my mobo stats I realize I don't actually have PCI express 2.0 on my mobo:eek:..... So a mobo with 2.0 can use a video card with 1.0 but not vice versa correct?
Incorrect, as long as your card fits into the socket, than it will work. PCIe 2.0 has higher bandwidth, that is all.

Fan starts off at high speed because at that time the sensors aren't being read. It is safer to start at high speed to ensure that it won't overheat at the time of boot. However, there should not be any clicking sound.

orinb

Mar 18, 2010
Shouldn't be a problem, although some motherboards I think had some issues, but it would be combination specific. You would need to check out your specific motherboard for issues which others have noted.

Are you sure that power wise you have a sufficient PSU and that the power connector(s) (6-pin PCIe connector) are all hoked up? Have you tried different drivers? (Motherboard and graphics card). Are you using the latest BIOS?

Hmm thank you, I will check to see if its a mobo conflict. The 6-pin is plugged in. I will also double check the drivers, I was a little tired when I looked at the xfx website and the site was confusing to me initially.

I am using a GIGABYTE GA-M61P-S3 AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 / nForce 430 ATX AMD Motherboard right now.

My power supply is a Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W. The video card specs show minimum 450watts so I feel like the PSU should be up to it.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007

It should work, but it does not always. Especially for older motherboards (ones that use PCI-e 1.0 and not PCIe 1.1) Older nForce MB's are rumored to have this problem. I believe the nForce4 chipset is known to have issues with the PCI-e 2.0 cards, but I don't have any experience with that, since I had read that and avoided buying any PCI-e 2.0 cards for my computer. All PCI-e cards should work in PCI-e 2.0 slots, but the opposite is not always true (although usually is).

orinb

Mar 18, 2010
Incorrect, as long as your card fits into the socket, than it will work. PCIe 2.0 has higher bandwidth, that is all.

Fan starts off at high speed because at that time the sensors aren't being read. It is safer to start at high speed to ensure that it won't overheat at the time of boot. However, there should not be any clicking sound.

Good to know, when I first heard the fan I thought blast off was imminent...

betasub

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2006
I am using a GIGABYTE GA-M61P-S3 AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 / nForce 430 ATX AMD Motherboard right now.

Make sure you have disabled integrated graphics if possible (through BIOS), & uninstalled Nividia graphics drivers (preferably sweeping out residual files and registry entries with something like DriverCleaner).

Which OS is loading & giving the BSOD?

orinb

Mar 18, 2010
As suggested I checked with the xfx website to see if my board supports the video card. I recieved this reply:

[xfx Technician] Hi, the board that you have is an nForce 4 motherboard. We have seen that it doesn`t recognize the 5 series ATI cards. You can try getting a BIOS update for the board, but depending on when they stopped supporting your board, it may not do anything. If not, then that card will not work with that board. If you get an nForce 6 board or higher, the card will be recognized. Your other option will be to go with a 4 series ATI card. Thanks, Brian.

Next step is checking the mobo website for bios update.

orinb

Mar 18, 2010
Gigabyte customer service leaves a little to be desired.

Dear Customer

You can attempt to update the bios first prior to installing the card

Really?! Wow thanks Gigabyte....

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
My power supply is a Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W. The video card specs show minimum 450watts so I feel like the PSU should be up to it.

Hate to break it to you, but that power supply would be lucky to put out anywhere near its rated power, even as a momentary peak.

You've got a very old group regulated power supply design (vs. the more modern independent regulated power supply design.) Notice that you have a voltage selector and no PFC, active or passive. No non-PFC power supply can support more than 500-550W on its primary section.....on a good day.

Its design was probably made during the P3 days when computer were heavy users of the 3.3 and 5V rails, which is why the 5V rail is "rated" for 55A.

And your power supply's output is rated at maximum, not continuous, and done at 25C, room air temps, not at what the inside of a computer case experiences, like 43C or higher. With all power supplies, as the temp they face increases, output decreases....called derating. This is why such a big fuss is made about power supplies having their output rated at 50C.

I'd honestly be surprised if your power supply could output 450W continuous.....or anything close to that.

I would seriously consider something a little better built, even a more modern group reg'd. design, like the new Seasonic S12 II Bronze found at Newegg for $69. Or an Antec TruePower 650. Or even a cheaper Corsair unit.

orinb

Mar 18, 2010
Hate to break it to you, but that power supply would be lucky to put out anywhere near its rated power, even as a momentary peak.

You've got a very old group regulated power supply design (vs. the more modern independent regulated power supply design.) Notice that you have a voltage selector and no PFC, active or passive. No non-PFC power supply can support more than 500-550W on its primary section.....on a good day.

Its design was probably made during the P3 days when computer were heavy users of the 3.3 and 5V rails, which is why the 5V rail is "rated" for 55A.

And your power supply's output is rated at maximum, not continuous, and done at 25C, room air temps, not at what the inside of a computer case experiences, like 43C or higher. With all power supplies, as the temp they face increases, output decreases....called derating. This is why such a big fuss is made about power supplies having their output rated at 50C.

I'd honestly be surprised if your power supply could output 450W continuous.....or anything close to that.

I would seriously consider something a little better built, even a more modern group reg'd. design, like the new Seasonic S12 II Bronze found at Newegg for $69. Or an Antec TruePower 650. Or even a cheaper Corsair unit.

Thank you for the advice, it is really starting to sound like my pc just isn't up to the challenge of running this video card.

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009

I don't believe the GPU uses much power. My OCd q9550 with 285s in SLI running 3dmark vantage only pulled 495 at load.

orinb

Mar 18, 2010
Thank you everyone for your advice on this! I sent the card back to Newegg this afternoon. Between incompatibilities with my mobo, and power supply inadequacies, I have decided that my pc isn't going to be able to use this card in its current state. Thank you again to everyone who took the time to look at my ranting!