Possible new weapon disabled M1A1 tank in Iraq...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
doesn't the m1a1 use to depleted uranium in its armor? that thing penetrated that?

edit: typo :p

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Eli
That's really insane. What kind of projectile can go through so many layers of metal like that? It almost went straight clean through!

Sabot could easily penetrate the 12 inches of armor at the rear where the hole is located.

Think about it.. a pencil thin piece of spent uranium travelling at mach 4 would burrow through the armor with relative ease.

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
Originally posted by: Hammer
doesn't the m1a1 use to deleted uranium in its armor? that thing penetrated that?

I think it uses depleted uranium in its projectiles, but ceramic/metal composite in its armor.

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: yellowfiero
doesn't the m1a1 use to deleted uranium in its armor? that thing penetrated that?

I think it uses depleted uranium in its projectiles, but ceramic/metal composite in its armor.

DU is only used in the weapon systems or armor plating of tanks such as the M1 Abrams battle tank, or aircraft like the A-10 Thunderbolt II.

SOURCE

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
Originally posted by: ShotgunSteve

DU is only used in the weapon systems or armor plating of tanks such as the M1 Abrams battle tank, or aircraft like the A-10 Thunderbolt II.

SOURCE

that's what i thought. :D :beer:

gwlam12

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2001
i dont think there is any new weapon. this tank was disabled aug 28. nothing similar to that incident has occurred in the past two months.

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999

There is DU in the armor as well, I believe it's in a layer under the reactive plates. The additional density provides added protection.

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: rahvin

There is DU in the armor as well, I believe it's in a layer under the reactive plates. The additional density provides added protection.

Yes, the depleted uranium is sandwiched between the armour layers.

earthman

Golden Member
Oct 16, 1999
When you consider that over half the Army's operational budget is tied up in maintaining this fleet of monsters, I think its good justification for change. About 3/4 of the 8000 in service could be retired, and the rest converted to diesel engines that are more efficient and much cheaper to maintain. Impressive as they look on TV, these vehicles were made to fight on a strategic battlefield in Europe against massed Soviet armor attacks, not in an urban guerilla warfare environment where they can't maneuver or get heavy air support. Since there is no more massed Soviet armor, they are kind of without a purpose. There are plans to replace many of these vehicles with something more suitable for urban warfare, but it should be done sooner rather than later. Something like THIS or THIS. MORE. Bigger isn't always better.