Question Possible issue with USB ports from H81 motherboard

Perene

Oct 12, 2014
I have been experiencing disconnections while plugging an iPAD and Kindle Paperwhite, in my USB ports from the front. This is an old i7 4770 CPU with a supposedly new-working fine H81T motherboard (AIDA says it's a "Lynx Point"), identified here as Bluecase BMBH81-T.

What I don't think is happening is OS error, in this case Windows 10. I noticed that if I plug between the device's cable and my USB port a hub like this:

There will be no disconnection. Why is that?

Is there a way to really check the health of a USB port, or perhaps change some BIOS setting that would avoid completely these timeouts? Something fishy is going on. It may also be device related, because pendrives can be used with no issues.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Hard to say for sure, but perhaps the front ports aren't providing enough power for consistent charging? Though it doesn't look like that hub is DC powered, so that may not be it. What case do you have?

Sometimes there are settings in BIOS for some boards, which can control USB behavior to a degree, such as providing power when system is off, or enabling fast charging. Finally, you can rule out software/OS issues by doing a live boot of some Linux, and seeing if the issues persist.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
It may be as simple as the cable you use. Have you tried a different one?

Random disconnections can happen because cable length is too long, or the cable is of poor quality. Both for that matter. Since you're using internal ports, you have to add the internal length to the external cable. So it may actually be rather long. A hub features a signal repeater, and so may eliminate the problem when you use it. It could be as simple as that.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Perene

Oct 12, 2014
The problem with this specific motherboard is that it didn't come with a manual more than 2 pages long and the manufacturer's website is the same. The local company pick up some H81T motherboard, but I can't find a specific manual that mimics all options seen in the BIOS. If a hub isn't presenting a problem when it's placed between the cable and front USB port that is perhaps the only indication either something wrong was done during installation of this motherboard to the computer case or it is flawed/defective anyway. Whenever I put this Kindle or the iPAD I get this disconnection or simply doesn't work. But if I put the DS4 controller, for example, it will be fine without the HUB.

Or any pendrive. The disconnection may also be the case if I force the USB into working more hard than it's used to, perhaps transfering files. What looks like to me is some sort of timeout which isn't being fixed by tweaking Windows 10 settings.

The case can be seen here:

Skip to 35 seconds to see the front USB ports.

Note: these tips didn't fix the problem:

Last edited: