Possible Infection?

Discussion in 'Security' started by Stg-Flame, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Stg-Flame

Stg-Flame Golden Member

Three days ago, I booted up my computer and the Welcome screen (right after logging on) took about 10 - 15 seconds to actually boot to the desktop. This wouldn't be a concern except for the fact that I installed my OS to a SSD and every boot prior to that one took a matter of one to two seconds. The only other oddity on my computer (Windows 7 64bit) is Firefox is now asking permission to make changes to my computer upon loading. I normally use Chrome, but I love Firefox for convenience on a few sites and it had never previously asked to make changes to my computer in the past.

I scanned with Malwarebytes and came up clean on both drives. Is this a possible sign of infection or is something else going on here? I just built this computer about a month ago, so wiping this clean wouldn't be a problem in the slightest. I also have a second SSD I just bought that I need to install as a gaming SSD, but I want to make sure my rig is clean before I start adding drives and moving files.

2. Chiefcrowe

Chiefcrowe Diamond Member

strange.. could be a virus of some sort. i'd scan with a few different programs and try to completely uninstally firefox and reinstall. if that still is having problems then I'd just reformat/reinstall if i were you just to be on the safe side.

3. amsterdamxxx

amsterdamxxx Member

Firefox sucks for security, the only redeeming feature is No-Script plugin.

My advice stick to Chrome, it's the best browser security wise out there. With sandboxed tabs, sanboxed flash &automatic updates it's the go to browser.

Puts Firefox to shame.

4. Chiefcrowe

Chiefcrowe Diamond Member

FYI - firefox does have sandboxed flash and automatic updates now, so it is still behind on the tab front.

5. Albatross

Albatross Platinum Member

6. AdvancedSetup

AdvancedSetup Junior Member

Did you recently remove your wallpaper? I think Microsoft has already corrected this via normal Windows updates but if you don't have all your updates it could potentially be an issue.

Code:
    http://itexpertvoice.com/home/get-rid-of-slow-logons-in-windows-7/

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977346