Possible Hurricane Barry....hitting the Gulf.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I'm supposed to fly to New Orleans on Saturday for work.

Should I fly down early? What are the chances Delta would waive change fees? (not sure work would reimburse that)

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Barry is forecast to strengthen in the next 72 hours to be a hurricane by Friday. A storm surge watch was issued from Peal River to Morgan City, La., where forecasters said 3 to 5 feet of surge-related flooding could occur.
Besides potential storm surge and high winds, the system is also expected to bring very heavy rainfall from the Upper Texas Coast to the Florida Panhandle, adding more water to the already swollen Mississippi River and bring it precariously close to the tops of levees that protect New Orleans.
Forecasters said that parts of Louisiana could see up to 12 inches of rain by Monday, with heavier amounts possible in some spots. Mississippi and Texas were also at risk of torrential rains.
The NWS said New Orleans is protected to a river level of 20 feet, but it was forecast to rise above flood stage to 19 feet by Friday. Though much of the heaviest rain isn't expected until the weekend, the broad area of disturbed weather in the Gulf was already producing strong thunderstorms and possible tornadoes over Louisiana on Wednesday.

Flight may be cancelled. I wouldn't go early and get trapped.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Barry is forecast to strengthen in the next 72 hours to be a hurricane by Friday. A storm surge watch was issued from Peal River to Morgan City, La., where forecasters said 3 to 5 feet of surge-related flooding could occur.
Besides potential storm surge and high winds, the system is also expected to bring very heavy rainfall from the Upper Texas Coast to the Florida Panhandle, adding more water to the already swollen Mississippi River and bring it precariously close to the tops of levees that protect New Orleans.
Forecasters said that parts of Louisiana could see up to 12 inches of rain by Monday, with heavier amounts possible in some spots. Mississippi and Texas were also at risk of torrential rains.
The NWS said New Orleans is protected to a river level of 20 feet, but it was forecast to rise above flood stage to 19 feet by Friday. Though much of the heaviest rain isn't expected until the weekend, the broad area of disturbed weather in the Gulf was already producing strong thunderstorms and possible tornadoes over Louisiana on Wednesday.

I'm supposed to be there until Wednesday of next week. I hope things don't get that bad.

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009

There are some spots below 20'. Some are as low as 18'.

https://www.nola.com/news/hurricane/article_f31f5436-a347-11e9-beaa-67f2b43123a7.html

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I played this song on my radio show this afternoon, saying it looks like they might need those stronger dikes this very weekend.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Check-in for my flight starts in 2 hours (a day before)....it looks like the timing for the storm is pretty bad for when I'm supposed to land. I'm just curious what will happen...if they delay the flight departure from ATL a few hours, it wouldn't be that bad. My flight is supposed to land in New Orleans tomorrow at 3:50pm. If they hold off 2 hours, the worst of the wind may have moved North.

If I make Atlanta, I just picked up an airport lounge membership, so I'll have a place to hang out. =P Honestly, I would be totally flying today if I wasn't traveling with coworkers (I feel like I shouldn't ditch them).

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
News mentioned free flight changes on some airlines, limited timing though. Why go at all if so?

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
News mentioned free flight changes on some airlines, limited timing though. Why go at all if so?
Business travel, not leisure. The event we're attending hasn't been cancelled. I've been to New Orleans, so I wouldn't miss walking down Bourbon Street too much...usually the food at these events are good enough that I wouldn't have much opportunity to eat locally either.

Also, we already have one of our employees there that flew down 2 days ago. I'd feel bad if we ditched her...hah!

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Business travel, not leisure. The event we're attending hasn't been cancelled. I've been to New Orleans, so I wouldn't miss walking down Bourbon Street too much...usually the food at these events are good enough that I wouldn't have much opportunity to eat locally either.

Also, we already have one of our employees there that flew down 2 days ago. I'd feel bad if we ditched her...hah!
See you in a month when the water recedes.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

If you go, be prepared for some stress. There may be a river on Bourbon Street, I heard yesterday. From what I heard, major flooding in New Orleans would seem to be in the cards, at least not out of the question. Mississippi down there is already high due to the midwestern major rains recently. 20" rain on the way, they may have another whopper of a problem.

Edit: This is only Barry. When they get to Matilda, look out...

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
The GM of the hotel claims everything will be fine because of where they're located and the way the streets around them are pitched. We're staying on relatively high ground.

I'm even thinking it may be difficult to get a cab from the airport...but not supposed to fly back until the middle of next week.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Since they have a Barry this year, too bad they don't have a Michelle.

If you go, be prepared for some stress. There may be a river on Bourbon Street, I heard yesterday. From what I heard, major flooding in New Orleans would seem to be in the cards, at least not out of the question. Mississippi down there is already high due to the midwestern major rains recently. 20" rain on the way, they may have another whopper of a problem.

Edit: This is only Barry. When they get to Matilda, look out...

Reactions: squirrel dog

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
River flooding is going to be the real game here. River level has been high even with diversion at Bonett Carre. They didn't quite hit the level needed to legally open the Morganza spillway but since it's taken off a measure of river flow that doesn't account for a storm surge piling up water on the lower river so New Orleans could majorly flood anyway.

The Army Corps is expressing confidence but many of the New Orleans defenses are untested in this particular way in living memory.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Gonna get Barry'd here this weekend.
But I'm on the fringe. Less than an inch over a few days.
*yawn*
Current radar makes it look like a non-event.
barry.jpg

squirrel dog

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
odd storm . First one I can remember that originated on land(Atlanta) and then came into the Gulf . I am in the 70706 , so it looks to be an elongated summer time storm .

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
My afternoon flight was cancelled so I didn't leave yesterday. Heading to the airport in an hour....should be in the muck/mire down there in a few hours.

Sad that downtown will likely be boarded up still. I'm willing to bet they still expect some river flooding this week after last.