Possible BF3 info leaked!!!

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
:D :D

http://digitalbattle.com/2007/...lefield-3-leaked-info/

A tipster sent us PDF document which looked like an outline of features for Battlefield 3. The three page document is apparently prepared for investors which should get it by December of this year. It details basic features of BF3, and are as listed:

* Release in late 2008
* Powered by ?Frostbite DX?
* Set in year modern day (just like BF2, ed.)
* Will ship with 8 maps, each supporting up to 40-players per team
* Two playable factions, NATO and MEC (Middle Eastern Coalition)
* Same ?ticket-based? gameplay style as before
* Maps are mostly urban, based in Middle East
* Squads and Commanders are present, introduced are ?Battalions? which consist of three to four squads.
* Five playable classes; Sniper, Assault, Engineer, Medic and Support
* Will feature 48 different vehicles (24 for each faction)
* Will feature 34 different weapons (17 for each faction) and another 22 unlocks (for both factions), in total 56 different weapons.
* Other unlocks include different types of ammunition, body armor, helmets, camouflage and accessories.
* Possible public beta in ?Summer 2008?
* Online stats tracking, awards and ?real world ranks?
* ?Soldier? feature, looks like MMO-styled characters and avatars
* Ranked servers will be available for resellers weeks before the game ships (for testing, apparently, ed.)
* In-game replay and recording feature
* VoIP, friends list, in-game IM-client and ?extensive clan support?
* Built-in auto software updater (no more patches!, ed.)
* Widows Vista and OS X (no XP?!, ed.)
* Announcement and teaser trailer in January 2008.

A map is mentioned by name, called ?Baghdad Burning?, and appears to be a massive urban map, similar to BF2?s very popular ?Strike at Karkand?. The game is powered by ?Frotbite DX?, currently the Frostbite engine is used in Battlefiled: Bad Company on PS3 and Xbox 360. The ?DX? could refer to DirectX (10?), a PC version of the Frostbite engine.

Please note that none of this is confirmed, we?ve emailed a few people from EA and DICE (Battlefield developers) and will update the article as soon as we know more. Also note that we cannot, for obvious (legal) reasons, release the PDF document. Stay tuned for more info.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
First question I know some are going to ask: Will it feature native wide screen support?

Edit - Also, the bit about using a console engine on the PC probably means that BF3 will be, by far, the buggiest BF to ever plop onto the PC.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed BF2 at LAN parties, but EA isn't exactly known for their spit and polish, and using a console engine essentially makes this a ported game. And every console game ported to the PC has been crap.

Ichigo

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2005
I bet no one is going to complain about paying $50 for this rehash, whereas they scream bloody murder for paying half the price to play TF2.

LordGestle

Jan 2, 2001
No thanks. I can imagine the marketting "incluing 24 muliplayer maps" which will be these 8 just reduced to 3 different sizes.
I miss the days of getting a map or two for free with a major patch. Made the 200mb+ patch worth something.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Engineer is AT, probably.

Originally posted by: LordGestle
No thanks. I can imagine the marketting "incluing 24 muliplayer maps" which will be these 8 just reduced to 3 different sizes.
I miss the days of getting a map or two for free with a major patch. Made the 200mb+ patch worth something.

Out of curiosity, did you read what it quoted?

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
sweet. BF2 was fun as hell. Hopfully they support this one a touch more...

imported_Skorpio

Aug 29, 2004
Why is it capped at 40 players? 64player maps are already too small. A downgrade from 64 to 40?

You think the next one would support at least 128player online.

biff 24 2000

Jun 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Skorpio
Why is it capped at 40 players? 64player maps are already too small. A downgrade from 64 to 40?

*Will ship with 8 maps, each supporting up to 40 players PER team.
so 80 guys on a map would be pretty fun to me.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: GundamSonicZeroX
Fuck Battlefield.

qft. playing on an E6600 with a 7950GX2, the menu still took 10 damn seconds to load. that is BULLSHIT (hey, we had to do *something* during lunchtime at work :D). crysis is 100000000000x more demanding than any of the bf's, and its menu loads just fine.

shabby

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: TehMac
Will feature 34 different weapons (17 for each faction) and another 22 unlocks* (for both factions), in total 56 different weapons.

* = $9.99 for instant unlock thru the ea store...

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
ANOTHER Battlefield game with the SAME game-play !!!

Oh, wait ... I don't care.

Zbox

Aug 29, 2003

lol... if EA/DICE pull off that kind of BS I wouldn't even consider touching this game with an infinite rod.

How stupid do you have to be to ignore the likelihood that XP will still have the greatest OS market share one year from now? Even if Vista manages to surpass it by some miracle, XP will still have 10x the penetration OS X does...

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006

Hrmm...read closer. kthx.

I'm not hating on you guys for hating on the game, I'm hating on you guys for hating on the game for not reading properly. In all frankness, it probably will not be "the bomb" but I have to say, Medal of Honor: Airborne was a console-PC release, and it was just as good and better on the PC, and I think its EA snapping their heads out of their ass.

The only thing I don't like is U.S. vs. MEC. I have a feeling it is this way because Operation Flashpoint 2, which being more simplified (and thus catering to a wider audience) might be the next battlefield.
Especially with their alleged attention to weapons and hardware.
See Link

Reason I bring OF2 up is that it'll mainly feature the US against the Chinese, so perhaps DICE/EA wants to make a game which concentrates on Arabs and Americans going at each other.

Originally posted by: Zbox

lol... if EA/DICE pull off that kind of BS I wouldn't even consider touching this game with an infinite rod.

How stupid do you have to be to ignore the likelihood that XP will still have the greatest OS market share one year from now? Even if Vista manages to surpass it by some miracle, XP will still have 10x the penetration OS X does...

Yeah, but again, JUST rumors....I can imagine EA pulling that crap off...hope not, because I don't think I'll be getting Vista. I'm interesting in the MS subsequent OS, which has all the features Vista had to leave out.

I forgot the codename. But I'll probably end up getting that of course. SP3 coming out for XP, will breathe some new life in, I think.

imported_Skorpio

Aug 29, 2004
Originally posted by: biff 24 2000

*Will ship with 8 maps, each supporting up to 40 players PER team.
so 80 guys on a map would be pretty fun to me.

Okay, thanks for the clarification. It should say 80 players max per map.

That would have been clearer, since the beginning of the sentence is in reference to maps.

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
I don't dig the mostly urban map thing. One thing I liked about BF2 were the diverse environments with vehicles and such, otherwise I'm interested, so far away though

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Originally posted by: MmmSkyscraper
* Built-in auto software updater (no more patches!, ed.)

:laugh:

New bugs installed automatically! Woohoo!

:laugh:

jonmcc33

Banned
Feb 24, 2002
Holy crap! Only 8 maps?!?! That's what is killing BF2 today! 20 maps or more sounds better. Go ahead and re-use older maps if you need to.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Other unlocks include different types of ammunition, body armor, helmets, camouflage and accessories.

It's crap like this which turned me off the BF series. I want to play casually whenever I feel like and be on a level playing field. Why award players who spend 18 hours a day playing the game with "uber items" which give them an advantage? Don't the experiences/tactics you learn when playing 18-hours a day enough of an advantage?

Battlefield 1942 will remain the best.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Te only thing that interests me is the 80 man maps. But I wont buy it. I bought BF2, it was so buggy out of the box. I played it for 3 days and didnt look back. I did install it last Spring to play some desert combat. But even that got old.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Its another EA title and I will not buy it.
I stopped supporting EA after they decided buying of game companies that made great titles, and then destroying them with there bs , was ok.