Possibility of Jaws Reboot

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Robert Shaw is dead. It will never be possible to make a good Jaws movie without Robert Shaw.

Feb 6, 2007
The brilliance of the original movie is you never got a good look at the shark. As Spielberg put it "the film went from a Japanese Saturday matinee horror flick to more of a Hitchcock, the less-you-see-the-more-you-get thriller."

Any Jaws remake is ultimately going to get sexed up with unnecessary CGI, with the shark jumping out of the water looking all vicious when people get attacked. It's going to look incredibly cheesy.

Yeah, filmmakers have absolutely no idea how to do dramatic tension nowadays. "A shark movie where we don't see the shark? Balderdash; let's make a shark movie where every single scene is the shark flying around and eating people! SPECTACLE!" If filmmakers today remade The Godfather, you'd lose all those "boring talky bits" and replace the horse's head with a massive explosion.

Feb 6, 2007
They have run out of ideas in Hollywood.

They haven't run out of ideas, they've run out of motivation to attempt anything new because audiences will flock to see schlock in record-breaking numbers. Why take a risk on story or art when you can CGI a city getting struck by a natural disaster and get bombarded with so much cash from braindead theater-goers that you could literally build a money-house? There are plenty of people writing original stories; they just don't get financed.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Jaws was the first big summer blockbuster. It was what started the modern movie industry and its entire model for business.

For it to get consumed by the very flame it created, that is very fitting to me.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Jaws was the first big summer blockbuster. It was what started the modern movie industry and its entire model for business.

For it to get consumed by the very flame it created, that is very fitting to me.

I like this perspective. :D

Pocatello

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
I'm interested. The 1st Jaws movie was amazing for me as a kid, just like the 1st King Kong movie for older viewers. But as I see it now, the star of Jaws doesn't look scary anymore, not life-like at all. I rather watch real great white sharks in action, on TV that is.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
LOL, Hollywood is a joke. Or maybe it's moviegoers. Either way, I won't go see much of anything that hits theaters these days. I go to the theater once every few years. There's far better movies that never hit the theaters, I just watch indie stuff on Netflix.

I did break down and go see Avengers this past weekend, and there was a trailer for a reboot of Fantastic Four. Wasn't there just a FF movie a few years ago? They're rebooting reboots at this point. Pathetic.

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
I did break down and go see Avengers this past weekend, and there was a trailer for a reboot of Fantastic Four. Wasn't there just a FF movie a few years ago? They're rebooting reboots at this point. Pathetic.

I blame China.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
and there was a trailer for a reboot of Fantastic Four. Wasn't there just a FF movie a few years ago? They're rebooting reboots at this point. Pathetic.

that's an IP/contract issue. Fox, or I think Warner, owns the rights for FF from Marvel--back when Marvel was selling off IP because the company was losing cash. This is way Spider-Man, X-Men, and Avengers are not "Marvel Studios" productions (those movies were made before Marvel created their own studio franchise--like Iron Man, Thor, Avengers, Cap'n Crunch, etc).

This would be the first reboot of the Fantastic Four series--those first two were ultra crappy, and this is only happening because the rights to that IP expires if they don't do something with it. Also, that production is a failure, the director has been jettisoned, and the movie will very likely suck.

Spider-Man is actually getting a second reboot, and I think has been returned to the Marvel fold? The shitty 2nd attempt at Spider-Man was the same deal--retaining IP. Now, Marvel will be re-re-introducing that character in their own film universe that they have been creating, primarily around the Avengers

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
There was a reboot. The HD version on bluray :D (actually, one of the best BD transfers I've seen. Worth the money.)

Else, go find new content hollywood. Leave the classics alone.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
I can see the cast list now. Johnny Depp as Quint and Will Smith as Brody. Channing Tatum as Hooper. Will make a billion dollars.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
I can see the cast list now. Johnny Depp as Quint and Will Smith as Brody. Channing Tatum as Hooper. Will make a billion dollars.

I'm going to go cry now. Also, Johnny Depp as a physical muscular guy who has to show off scars and all that?