Possibilities

Teck

Nov 27, 2001
Is this statement true?
Good cannot exist without evil.

I think this statement is true, we would not know what good or evil ment without the oppisite. Now taking that into consideration that brings up many questions in religion,philosphy and history.

In religion if there is a "Heaven" do you think everyone in heaven would always be happy. By human nature we tend to dislike each other. It would be hard to believe that people are always getting along in heaven or not having "Pure" thoughts.

In history maybe many of the steps we've taken to solve a problems or a war have been the wrong one, Since the meaning of wars are about power, Freedom.

I guess all our knowledge is based on our ancestors who came before us. Therefore making everything we think based on prevouis experiances and what they thought.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Good & evil are both human inventions. Morality tales were invented to keep people in line and give them something to hope for or dread after they died.

Unholy - KISS
Written By: Gene Simmons, Vinnie Vincent
Album(s) from: Revenge, Alive III

I was there through the ages
Chained slaves to their cages
I have seen you eat your own
I'm the cycle of pain
Of a thousand year old reign

I'm suicide and salvation
The omen to nations
That you worship on all fours
I'm the infection and famine
That's knocking at your door

That's why you're feeling so

Unholy
Oh, I was created by man, you know I'm....
Unholy
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

I am the incubus
i lay the egg in you
The worm that burrows
Through your brain
But you are the beast
That calls me by my name

You send your children to war
To serve bastards and whores
So now you know
You created me
On the day that you were born

Unholy
I was created by man, yeah I'm the Lord of the flies, you know I'm
Unholy
From the left hand of power comes the father of lies
Unholy - Unholy!

I lay you down to sleep
Your soul to keep
Better cross your heart before you die
And now you know
Know that you are mine

That's why you're feeling so

Unholy, Unholy, Unholy - Unholy!!

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
<< Good cannot exist without evil. >>

Bullsh8!

As I have posted, before, I once read the manual for the human body. It says there is supposed to be only one asshole issued for each human being.

Obviously, someone has been overproducing. :Q

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Hmm, well evil is the absense of good! Or vice versa. They are all comparitive. One cannot be defined without the other. Heat cannot exist without cold.

linuxboy

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Is this statement true?
Good cannot exist without evil.

That statement has the semantic value of "true", if that's what you mean. Likewise, it has the semantic value of "false".

Somehow, I don't think this is what you are asking. I think you are asking if such a thing as a "Good" could exist independently of another said thing called "Evil".

There are a few ways to think about this.

One can think in terms of opposites and claim that a "Good" is simply the opposite of an "Evil" and insofar and the soundness of that statement is not questioned, polarities of abstraction translate int polarities of experience. This has been incorporated into Eastern ideas of Taoism with the twist that the two are really part of each other and make up a greater whole.

Another way to think about this has been typically called the privatio boni idea, or the idea that all evil is the absence of good or the movement away from good. This idea is incorporated into contemporary theologies of Western schools of thought.

However, let us not think that the two views are explusive as they refer to different levels of being and of ontological significance.

On the surface, we think that there cannot be Good without Evil. We make these polarities and we give them names. We say that one cannt perpetually experience Goodness and that to appreciate it, one must experience Badness or Evil. They balance each other out, essentially. This is the idea of the Devil and the God as opposing forces. This is true to some extent as this is what we typically perceive and understand.

However, a higher plane of reality exists that for ease of explanation I shall call God. God is both good and evil. Do not confuse this with New Age ideas or gnostic positions or ideas of demiurgical creation or some other thing. God is both good and evil because God is everything. As humans, we have the option to move away from God, we have that free choice and will. In doing so, we sin, and lose sight of God. Likewise, we have the option to move toward God and to be with God and be God's Beloved. The point where we become fully in the Good, and seeing nothing but the Good is when we imiate Christ, as the Son of God sent to give salvation so that we may not taste death but have everlasting life.

So they are both true and false. Good does exist without evil, but usually, we fail in reaching that ideal because we choose not to.

Hmm that's one Christian's explanation of it...

I think this statement is true, we would not know what good or evil ment without the oppisite. Now taking that into consideration that brings up many questions in religion,philosphy and history.

In religion if there is a "Heaven" do you think everyone in heaven would always be happy.

Yes, but define what you mean by heaven. Is this the Kingdom of God? If so, then this is given to us on earth.

By human nature we tend to dislike each other. It would be hard to believe that people are always getting along in heaven or not having "Pure" thoughts.

I think you miss the point in invoking that idea. To have the Kingdom of God, we must become as children, we must love and grow in Love. There are no thoughts as typically considered in the Kingdom of God, that is when the Beloved is everything. Lovers do not need words. Let's not cloud the issue.

In history maybe many of the steps we've taken to solve a problems or a war have been the wrong one, Since the meaning of wars are about power, Freedom.

I guess all our knowledge is based on our ancestors who came before us. Therefore making everything we think based on prevouis experiances and what they thought.

Teck, your last 2 paragraphs are non-sequiturs, I cannot follow the reasoning. If you mean to say that to know something is just a matter of repeating preconditioned realities and conditioned notions limited by language then again I think you miss a point in your own statement that yes and no, Good cannot exist without evil.

Ok, I tried to make that as clear as possible.

shinerburke, morality and what you call inventions are not the same concepts as good and evil. As much as undergrads think they get Nietzsche and all this post-modern lack of decent thought, let us make distinctions where they are due.

Skoorbie, defintion of a perceived concept is not the concept itself. We are open to circularity if we self-referentiate undisciminately

Cheers ! :)